Pelikan To Compete With Lamy Safari?

NewPenMan

I have watched the old adverts pelikan has put online on youtube. And i speak german.

The Pelikano has a long tradition, as it was specially conceived as a school pen and launched in 1960, the core product has essentially remained the same over the decades, a major facelift was done only recently. Pelikan made it to replace the piston filling Pelikan 120, with feedback from educators. The idea was to provide an easy to use durable cartridge filled pen, which would do away with the need of ink bottles. That the new system was practical was emphasized in those adverts.

The school pen market is very important in germany and it has been traditionally important to learn to write with a fountain pen. The Pelikano is the last remaining of the school pens of the 60s (geha is gone now), the lamy safari is a much newer product. Essentially it is a cult item. In the last few years however the importance of the fountain pen alltogether is declining, and media report of completely paperless classrooms and the like.

The adverts reflect the era and the audience they were produced for. They essentially come from a world that is gone, it doesnt exist any more. They might appear old fashioned or even kitsch by todays standards, but so would someone see our adverts in 50 years time. A school pen was a much more important issue back then, than it is today. And of course they show happy children, with what was back then one of the most important things in school life, a school fountain pen. That is why it is called advertisement!

I have never really warmed up to the Pelikano, and my heart is with piston filling Pelikans which I adore, however it is an important pen of its kind, that has a long history.

ps. the M1000 is a much newer thing...

Edited by fplover01

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewPenMan

• ac12

• fplover01

• J85909266

Ok. . What would that look like?

What "serious" Pelikan model would you start with, and what would you remove/change to get it down to $40?

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.Store.displayStore.206425./stola-iii-fountain-pen

Well, it certainly looks like a Safari/Al-Star.

EDIT:

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-363296-SLV-M?SRC=WGOOGLKW0506GOOG&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CIzqkrS7gcgCFUYXHwodMdsHBg

Found that, too. Looks like it is, indeed priced to compete directly with the Safari and Al-Star.

Edited by J85909266

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

As far as looks and features, I like this quite a lot more than both the Metro and the Safari.

It seems to have taken the best of both and combined them. It removed the very boring aesthetics and huge, viciously sharp step down to the section from the Metro and the flimsy, useless clip and triangular section from the Safari.

I'll have to try one out.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Weren't they always there? My very first fountain pen, about a thousand years ago when I was in high school, was a Pelikan.

No signature. I'm boring that way.

I also like that this will take standard international carts/converters, unlike the MR and Safari.

- Joe

Did I read right, ONLY a M nib ????

Geez, at least with Parker I could send it back to Parker to do a nib exchange to a different size nib.

I use EF and F Pelikan nibs, the M nib is too wide.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have Pelikan Future bought 20 years back. I still see it on cult pens website. That seems to be directly pitted against Safari.

Regards

Subramoniam

I would say that the Pelikan Style is positioned as the Vista / Safari competitor, while the Pura would compete with the Studio. The Dion looks like a Lamy killer as well (but I haven't seen that one in real life yet).

Edited by jthole

I have Pelikan Future bought 20 years back. I still see it on cult pens website. That seems to be directly pitted against Safari.

Those are really nice pens, as well. I have one with a broad nib myself.