Birth Pens: What Is The Fp Of The Year Of Your Birth?

cobalt

What pen would have been first made/introduced in the year you were born, just like you? It was/is? the custom to give a pen or a watch when someone turned 21)

Do you own your birth pen?

Do you give a birth pen as a gift to new borns for their future possible use or bemusement?

Here's a starter for 10 of a few pens (year of first manufacture: brand/name)

(anyone who predates the Duofold deserves to be given their birth pen as a gift!)

1903: Conklin Crescent Filler

1905: Parker Lucky Curve; Waterman 52

1910: Onoto Black Ebonite

1913: Waterman 414

1914: Sheaffer 34

1921: Parker Duofold

1925: Dunhill Giant

1929: Pelikan 100

1930: Sheaffer Balance

1931: Gold Starry Rapex

1932: Parker Vacumatic

1939: Montblanc 139G

1940: Wahl Eversharp Skyline

1941: Parker 51

1950: Conway Stewart 58

1954: Parker Jotter

1956: Parker 61

1966: Lamy 2000

1980: Lamy Safari

1986: Parker Vector

1991: Lamy Persona

1993: Waterman Edson

1996: Omas 360

...be like the ocean...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• ParkerDuofold

• Ernst Bitterman

• inkstainedruth

It may be that there was no pen introduced during the year of my birth :)

Ditto. I missed the introduction of Parker 45s (1960) by a few months. Not saying which direction, mind.... B)

Of course that leads to the next weird thought -- in the future, will someone brag about being born the same year as the Noodler's Ebonite Konrads? Or the "new" Esterbrooks?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Lamy 2000 and Sheaffer Stylist. Sublime and ridiculous.

Ruth-- PFM in one direction (as well as the Conway-Stewart 106), Imperial in the other. That's not too shabby, whichever way you lean.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I have only one, Pilot Deluxe from September 1977, which is only several months older than me. Pretty good match and a lovely pen to write with.

Lamy 2000 and Sheaffer Stylist. Sublime and ridiculous.

Ruth-- PFM in one direction (as well as the Conway-Stewart 106), Imperial in the other. That's not too shabby, whichever way you lean.

Thanks. Not familiar with the C-S. I tried holding a PFM at a pen show, and thought it was a little too heavy for me (I have three regular Snorkels, 2 Valiants and a Statesman, and like them well enough -- but they are a little slimmer than some pens I own).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1948. Parker 51 Aerometric 1st year, Parker 51 Vacumatic last year.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

According to pensninks blog spot The Montblanc 139G was introduced c1938. If that's the case then it dates me!

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Nothing I can find for the year I was born, just specific models of existing pens.

Now if you were after calculators or guitars, I'd be sorted...

The historical galleries here might help, but there's gaps.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books

After browsing a number of pen sites, I'm not sure that my birth year was a particularly auspicious one for fountain pens. Parker introduced tungsten carbide balls for their ballpoints, a great improvement in durability. Esterbrook came out with a cartridge fountain pen, the Safari, a harbinger of the end, and not something I really want to add to my sizable selection of Esterbrooks.

When it comes to vintage pens, I rather like the idea of ones that were made before I was born. I have a few which were, or most likely were, made before my parents were born.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

After browsing a number of pen sites, I'm not sure that my birth year was a particularly auspicious one for fountain pens. Parker introduced tungsten carbide balls for their ballpoints, a great improvement in durability. Esterbrook came out with a cartridge fountain pen, the Safari, a harbinger of the end, and not something I really want to add to my sizable selection of Esterbrooks.

When it comes to vintage pens, I rather like the idea of ones that were made before I was born. I have a few which were, or most likely were, made before my parents were born.

Hey, the Safari also came in a pnuematic-fill model, one of the most reliable mechanisms of that type ever (which is a good thing, because the plunger CANNOT be taken apart for repair). :thumbup:

Ravensmarch Pens & Books

A pointed stick.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Looks as though I should be seeking a Montblanc from the 340 series (1951). Oddly enough, one of those is already on my wish list.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

2 pens were popular when I was born. The most popular was the Parker Paleo. The other was the

Cro magnon mini