The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

The Eternal Nib...a Nail?

mabie todd eternal nibs flex

11 replies to this topic

#1 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2015 - 22:36

Do Eternal nibs have any flex? I've never had the opportunity to try one.

Sponsored Content

#2 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2015 - 22:42

No,none; cf Lifetime or Duro.
Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#3 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2015 - 23:00

Nail. High quality had as a rock nib. I was also going to say it is like the Sheaffer Lifetime nib. But Cob beat me to it.

#4 MarcShiman

MarcShiman

Inspiring Discovery

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 930 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 23:22

Not necessarily. They made nibs for different purposes. Many of the really stiff ones were meant to go through carbons, but there were Eternal nibs meant to have some degree of shading that had some flexibility.

However, the idea of an Eternal nib is that it had a thicker slab of gold, with the idea being it would last longer (eternally) - what it means is that you don't get the full flex nibs that can be found on non-eternal nibs. But I have a bunch of semi-flex Eternal nibs.

#5 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2015 - 20:42

Thanks - that clears it up.

#6 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2015 - 20:50

Not necessarily. They made nibs for different purposes. Many of the really stiff ones were meant to go through carbons, but there were Eternal nibs meant to have some degree of shading that had some flexibility.

However, the idea of an Eternal nib is that it had a thicker slab of gold, with the idea being it would last longer (eternally) - what it means is that you don't get the full flex nibs that can be found on non-eternal nibs. But I have a bunch of semi-flex Eternal nibs.

And of course the same can be said for the CS Duro nibs

#7 Effin1

Effin1

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:28

Both my Eternals have what I call soft nibs and I love them. Mind you I really don't get on with flex.

#8 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:34

Flex is my downfall. I'd never call it a character defect, of course...that's what relatives are for.

#9 Effin1

Effin1

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:26

I am currently trying to update my FP data base.  It's been a nightmare.  I used to put each pen on after repair and write testing.  The pen was described and scored.  I then bought several job lots from various on line auctions and didn't get

round to write testing so they never got on the DB.  I set to adding each pen without write testing but made a note on the DB so that I could test at a later date.  I took several shots of each pen (approx. 1250 pics) and when I had only about 15 pics to attach the data base crashed.  After hours and with the help of my PC repairer we managed to get text back but not 1 picture.  I had to take an additional 1250 pics and this time I only had 5 pics to put on when it crashed again.  I have managed to retrieve with pictures but it's very temperamental and crashes if I try to add any more pics.  I'm trying to print hard copies off but that's very hit and miss.  My intention is to sell all the pens with flex nibs once they have all been write tested.  The majority will be MTs.  Goodness knows when I will be at that stage though.

#10 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2015 - 17:06

The husband was a database guy - they'd call him from Bangalore in the middle of the night to get the thing back on its legs. In other words, I feel your pain.

#11 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• 1,833 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 19:15

I have a Swan #8 Eternal which I was surprised find had flex when internet purchased. Speaking with a very prominent UK Swan collector, he did state he had several Eternal nibs that had flex.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

#12 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:18

There is a delightful lack of certainty with nearly any aspect of vintage fountain pens.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mabie todd, eternal, nibs, flex

Sponsored Content

|