New Visconti "old Style" Van Gogh Maxi For The U S Market

Bryant

Just got this picture in. The Cap, section and clip will have matching enamel. These are just prototypes to see the colors. The blue one might be changed… But there will be a Blue, Green, Brown and Black/Grey.

It will be based off the oversized Van Gogh Maxi. Large 23k #6 PD nib. "luxury" Converter (extra metal piece on the end of it to give a little weight)

They will be a limited edition, most likely about 150 in each color. Unlike the original Van Gogh, these are not Injected pens, these will be hand turned.
MSRP roughly $595.

What do you think? I know the price is higher than I would like, but besides that, whats your thoughts?

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm78/FountainPenz/FountainPenz016/collection%204%20colours_zpsfqgop60u.jpg

Edited by Bryant

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryant

• Ghost Plane

• ArchiMark

• BruuskysPen88

Markie likes it! *

My eyes go to the handsome black and silver and the brown one too....look very nice!

If I had my druthers, I'd like to see the old large 14K gold Maxi nibs on it.....but that's just me....

Mark

* My apologies to the old 'Mikey likes it!' commercials......

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Markie likes it! *

* My apologies to the old 'Mikey likes it!' commercials......

Careful now Mark. Mikey was not a discerning consumer and would accept any offering. I don't think that describes you! :)

As to the pens, that's too much for a resin pen with a converter. At that price is prefer urushi.

Of course, we all know Bry will best the MSRP by a fair amount.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Careful now Mark. Mikey was not a discerning consumer and would accept any offering. I don't think that describes you! :)

You got that right!..... :)

Of course, we all know Bry will best the MSRP by a fair amount.

And you got that right too!....

;)

More pics…

Nice Bry....now that I see these, I like the blue, gray ones too.....

So, 4 out of 4.....

:)

If it acts like the old Van Gogh Maxis & come with B or stub at Bryant prices... But you said #6 nibs. What size were the original 14kt, 6 or 8? Agree the 14kt nibs remain superior. I only have 6 of the old Van Gogh Maxis left after a contractor helped himself to my Swisher LE during last year's reconstruction.

If it acts like the old Van Gogh Maxis & come with B or stub at Bryant prices... But you said #6 nibs. What size were the original 14kt, 6 or 8? Agree the 14kt nibs remain superior. I only have 6 of the old Van Gogh Maxis left after a contractor helped himself to my Swisher LE during last year's reconstruction.

Good points.....

Think the ol' 14K nibs might have been 8's....but not 100% sure....

As for that nasty ol' contractor, I hope you deducted the cost of the pen from his final payment......

Good points.....

As for that nasty ol' contractor, I hope you deducted the cost of the pen from his final payment......

The original Van Gogh had #6 nibs, actually Visconti has never done a #8 :( Although, Id LOVE to have one with it!

GP: Really? Im so sorry to hear that. I can't stand thieves. This year for LA Im hiring a security guard just to guard my goods.

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

I think the best things about those original Van Goghs were those wonderful colors, those big soft gold nibs, and the affordable price point. Beautiful colors and sweet gold nibs, all for under $300, made for an easy sell.

These pens don't appear to be as interesting from a material standpoint, and while the PD nibs are nice they're still not gold. Frankly, I think the enamel cheapens the look somewhat as well. I think it would be better as an engraved surface rather than a lacquered one. And that price sure seems awfully high.

These just don't jump out at me. I'd be unlikely to plunk down for one.

Maybe with a more interesting material and classier looking trim...

best,

Doug

Good points.....

If I'd realized in time, I would have. This is the same bozo whoe "repairs" lasted a whopping 4 months before the house reflooded. Next time, the insurance went with MY choice of people.

• 5 months later...

Hello, all -

These are such handsome pens - does anyone have any experience with them? I haven't been able to find a review (if I've overlooked such on FPN, and someone could point me toward the link, I'd be grateful). I'd love to go for the green with a stub nib, but the price seems awfully high for a cartridge/converter pen. Any thoughts?

Best to all!

I own 8, yes EIGHT of the old style Maxis with 14kt nibs. All of mine are B nibs. I don't think they came with stubs in the old days, but if you can find a Pd stub now, go for it.

Part of the allure is that those big gold nibs handle a lot like an MB 149 other than being round tips instead of stubbish in the Bs. Yes, they're c/c fillers, but those fancy Visconti convertors give me excellent service and the color and fit is yummy. I bought one in every color I could get my hands on. They're BIG pens, very comfortable in the hand. For those of us who actually use pens for extended periods of time, they're fabulous performers and some of the best modern gold nibs out there. (Assuming you like Western sizing and wet writers, which I do.)

If you've climbed on the flex bandwagon, these are not for you. But if you adore soft-feeling, springy nibs that will lay down fabulous quantities of ink until the convertor runs dry and not cause hand cramps, I can't rave enough about them. The dumbest move Visconti ever made was discontinuing them and shoving those steel-nibbed variants in their place. Visconti steel is a nice entry level, but these old style Maxis are flat out performance writers for the connoisseur. Can you tell I'm a fan? :wub:

I own 8, yes EIGHT of the old style Maxis with 14kt nibs. All of mine are B nibs. I don't think they came with stubs in the old days, but if you can find a Pd stub now, go for it.

Part of the allure is that those big gold nibs handle a lot like an MB 149 other than being round tips instead of stubbish in the Bs. Yes, they're c/c fillers, but those fancy Visconti convertors give me excellent service and the color and fit is yummy. I bought one in every color I could get my hands on. They're BIG pens, very comfortable in the hand. For those of us who actually use pens for extended periods of time, they're fabulous performers and some of the best modern gold nibs out there. (Assuming you like Western sizing and wet writers, which I do.)

If you've climbed on the flex bandwagon, these are not for you. But if you adore soft-feeling, springy nibs that will lay down fabulous quantities of ink until the convertor runs dry and not cause hand cramps, I can't rave enough about them. The dumbest move Visconti ever made was discontinuing them and shoving those steel-nibbed variants in their place. Visconti steel is a nice entry level, but these old style Maxis are flat out performance writers for the connoisseur. Can you tell I'm a fan? :wub:

Hi, question for you, I only have the Van Gogh Maxis that are later production screw caps, do you have the earlier ones with cam lock cap in your collection, and they more prone to breaking like I've read on some other posts?

Hi, question for you, I only have the Van Gogh Maxis that are later production screw caps, do you have the earlier ones with cam lock cap in your collection, and they more prone to breaking like I've read on some other posts?

Yes they do. I have one, and it cracked as foretold. Would not recommend the headache and heartbreak, but the 14K Gold nibs are everything everyone always says about them; awesome.