The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

New P51 Baby

parker51

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 temptar

temptar

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 15:29

I acquired my second Parker 51 this morning, perusing a local vintage fair. It was manufactured in England according to the cap, and it's in reasonably good nick. It's a Mark III and judging by the jewel, it was probably manufactured by 1973 at the latest, unless the factory in England did not bother updating the design to comply with some US regulation about removable small parts. It has a lustraloy cap (not sure about the spelling) and the barrel is black. There is some evidence that white letters were printed on it at some stage but they have mostly worn away. For this reason I think it might have been a corporate gift pen.

The pen still had some blue ink in it when I got it home although it flushed out easily enough. I've filled it with Edelstein Mandarin and will flush it out again when that's finished as I suspect there are still some dry flakes slowly dissolving. It's cleaner than my first Parker 51 however which is much older and looks like it has been constantly filled with black ink for most of its life. 

The Mark III looks to be a medium nib and it's very obviously broader than the older pen. It cost me fifteen euro so all in all, unless I discover in the next week or so that it has a horror of a leak problem, I think I probably did pretty well for it.

21196944200_1a8d04f7d6_k.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2015 - 15:49

Well done. I once bought 2 gold cap mkiii 51s in burgundy and blue but since I didnt like the decomposed sections on these pens I returmed them to the seller who agreed to the refund without any hesitation. All my 51s (eleven) are now the late 40s and 50s mkii aero pens.
Khan M. Ilyas

#3 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 12,885 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:00

I only have one Mark III P51 left, but it writes as well as any 51.  It's an English 51 medium, burgundy with rolled gold cap.  I have had it some years and never had a problem with it.  The ebay seller I bought it from NOS for $60 said the nib was broad, but I don't see that.  I think you did well with that pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#4 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:33

I meant the sections on mine were pressed inward like you often see on P45s. And ,plus, I personally didn't like the design of those pens compared to the first generation aero 51s. 

Khan M. Ilyas

#5 christof

christof

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:36

I personally love the mordern and sleek desing of the MK III most:

20542485884_24bbf41c05_k.jpg

Third from right side on picture.

But the soft plastic that was used for the section is indeed a problem. I changed mine with an older lucite section.

C.

Edited by christof, 14 September 2015 - 09:37.

What's Up At Christof's: http://www.fountainp...tofs/?p=2337615

fpn_1501079397__18762338330_19cf666a48_o

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker51

Sponsored Content

|