Ink For Grading Student Papers

TimMcL

Had a chance to chat with our test accommodation folks who are far more versed in this than I. Basically because of the variable nature of the differences, it is not considered up to the professor to avoid using a particular color, but instead up to the student to make a request (which of course would almost certainly be accommodated if possible). So while I still think I'll keep it in mind as I choose from the 100's of shades and colors, it may not be imperative. I would need to know how likely a person with varying color abilities actually does or does not see (or notices) my marks if I choose a red or green, for instance. Instead I'll continue to rely on my personal preference and beliefs that certain colors express certain comments more effectively.

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• ink-syringe

• bongo47

• Dhruv_Sood

Most of my students use pens (and actually ask my permission to use a pencil on a test with written answers). A surprising number of female students use purple, but not the shade that I would use in a fountain pen (Burgundy/Sirah).

We have had faculty who wanted their comments on exams/papers to be as loud as possible, and they almost universally see student motivation as equivalent to the avoidance of punishment. It works well for some of them, but most quit within a year or two because they are so stressed out.

I'm perfectly happy to use Noodler's Gruen Cactus in my TWSBI pens, and Yama Budo on occasion.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

What I have done for my marking is used a default of turquoise and asked students to write a color on their cover page if they would prefer an alternative.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

>>What I have done for my marking is used a default of turquoise and asked students to write a color on their cover page if they would prefer an alternative.

Has any student asked you to use a different color? If so, what reason did they give?

I am just curious for some reason that escapes me.

I did pose that question several years ago. When marking up their papers, which color ink should I use? Most were baffled by the question, and nobody seemed to have a preference.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I did pose that question several years ago. When marking up their papers, which color ink should I use? Most were baffled by the question, and nobody seemed to have a preference.

The baffled response is a product of how you asked the question. Instead of calling on them to make a choice, you could tell them what color you normally use and request that anyone who has a different preference let you know privately.

I sensed that they were thinking "Would it have an impact on the grade I ultimately get on the assignment?"

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Interesting viewpoints.

I'd have thought that marking/criticism in any colour would be upsetting - it certainly was for me when I was a student. In fact I can't even remember if I noted the colour.

I don't grade student papers as such, but do go through and comment on my MD and/or PhD students written work be it for manuscripts, presentations or their final thesis.

I always use red - whatever I have in my pen, although recently I took a shine to MB Toffee Brown, and I use that when I want to convey my irritation at particularly sloppy communication or interpretation of data.

Can't say they've ever commented on the colours.

• 1 month later...

I teach high school and use a Jinhao 159 with J Herbin Orange Indien mixed with Lies de The.(Orange Indien wasn't visible on the red card stock I have to make notations on daily.)

• 1 month later...

I have lots of papers to grade every semester. Probably sixty percent are "typed" while the rest are hand written. A good percentage of the hand written are in pencil. Those that are in pen tend in a weak black or blue except for the occasional purple, orange or sparkles. Much of what i write on their papers is not negative. I have been known to write more on a student paper than the student has written. What i look for in an ink on student papers is contrast, something that stands out so they don't miss the comment. My choices have been:

Noodlers Nikita (My college constantly tells us not to use red as it is seen as hostile. The students laugh when i tell them this as they disagree and think the college is being silly.)

Noodlers Heart of Darkness. My go to ink now as it stands out and no one misses the comments.

Noodlers Baystate Blue. Stands out, but am getting tired of its ability to stain everything

Noodlers Ellysium. Almost as vivid as BSB, my backup to Heart of Darkness.

• 1 year later...

This week I discovered that KWZI iron gall inks are the best inks I have used yet for grading.

I get assignments on all kinds of paper, but these inks never feather, bleed or take a long time to dry. I usually get smearing issues with Diamine inks, but none with KWZI.

I graded one batch of assignments in KWZI IG Red #1 and another in IG Violet #2 with a relatively wet Jinhao 992 F/M nib. Although the colors darkened after oxidation, they still stood out from normal ink colors and look really classy on the page. When a student held up her paper from across the room, I could clearly see my annotations because of the nice distinct color.

I think I'm going to be replacing my standard grading inks with these KWZI inks, because they just work so much better for me. :D

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small