The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Penmanship And Nib Width

spencerian blackletter cursive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lgbpinho

lgbpinho

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:40

Which style of penmanship would you use with an: a) extra-fine or fine nib? b ) medium nib? c) broad nib? d) stub nibs (bellow 1.9)?

I took three days, an hour in each, to practice cursive and I was really impressed by how much it improved my handwriting! However, it looks much nicer on finer nibs than on wider nibs. I looks weird on a stub  1.1mm nib. Then I saw some of you using spencerian and it seems to require a flex nib. So, I am wondering, which style would you use for different nib widths?

Edited by lgbpinho, 12 September 2015 - 12:41.

Sponsored Content

#2 akustyk

akustyk

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2015 - 13:05

When it comes to handwriting, you can choose whatever works for you! However, the general idea is that you use an italic nib or a stub for italic handwriting. For the American business penmanship (also known as "cursive" or "script"), you need a very fine nib.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

#3 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2015 - 21:25

(a) American cursive, (B) American cursive and print-script, © Print, (d) Italic, gothic, roman, or other broad-eged hand.

Flexible nibs are best used as dip pens in an elbow oblique holder, restrict to Copperplate, Spenserian, or other swelled hands.

But that's my usage, YMMV.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#4 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:26

Depends on how large/small you write.

Example, I can write cursive with a Lamy 1.1 nib.  But I write large on US wide ruled paper (8.7mm line spacing) or blank note cards.  So I have more space to write larger than if I were to use a narrower ruled paper.  I used the 1.1 nib to do my Christmas cards last year, and I think it looked good.  But you have to write large enough to be legible.

If when writing, the loop of the lower case e and l are closed, then you need to use a narrower nib or write larger.  That is one of my guides when selecting a pen to use. 

I have a Parker 51 with a M/B nib that writes too broad for me and my handwriting.  I am going to look in my stash for a 51 with a narrower nib to replace it, or slow down the ink flow.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#5 lgbpinho

lgbpinho

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2015 - 11:58

(a) American cursive, ( B) American cursive and print-script, © Print, (d) Italic, gothic, roman, or other broad-eged hand.

Flexible nibs are best used as dip pens in an elbow oblique holder, restrict to Copperplate, Spenserian, or other swelled hands.

But that's my usage, YMMV.

Enjoy,

Thanks! One last question: is italic practical for daily use? I mean, how fast can one  write in italic with, say, a 1.1mm stub on average? I did not try italic because I am still re-learning cursive (which feels awesomely fluid and fast).

#6 brunico

brunico

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2015 - 13:17

I looks weird on a stub  1.1mm nib.

It is good that you see this. Many people think an italic nib automatically makes their handwriting look much better. But an italic nib isn't always appropriate, and with some handwriting an italic nib can actually make it look much worse. Italic isn't about getting lots of "line variation" but about the shape and flow of the letters.

And yes, italic can be written as fast as anything else.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spencerian, blackletter, cursive

Sponsored Content

|