The Flock Is Growning

gordonhooker

Yea I just received the 3rd Pelikan for my flock - it is a red/black M600 with a medium nib...

Now I am open to suggestions about the best really dark red to fill it with... :)

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gordonhooker

• Christopher Godfrey

• Lam1

• zuhandensein

Congratulations on the new addition to your flock. Be careful. The more you get, the more you'll get. I don't use dark reds. Waterman has always been my go to red but its more of a brighter red-orange.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I have the Pelikan red and it is a real mid red like the old Swan Red ink we had in schools in the 60's, what I am after is a real dark ox blood colour I am going to have a chat to my local pen shop, but was just chasing some recommendation here. :)

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

I found what I think is the perfect ink for this pen - but it is more a red/brown that a really dark red/black. My local pen shop is going out of noodlers inks due to sourcing problems or whatever so they still have what stock that was left over so I went through what they had and found Noodlers Black Swan in English Roses and I loved so I bought it and inked up the new bird.... :)

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

So probably you can try Diamine Oxblood... I have not used it, but it was frequently mentioned in a thread about favourite inks. Diamine Red Dragon could be another option.

Pelikan M200 Cognac, EF + J. Herbin Perle Noire

Kaweco Sport Brass F (golden nib!) + Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris

You could try Oxblood by Diamine. For a more true dark red, I'd highly recommend Red Dragon (also by Diamine).

EDIT: Great minds (and pen people) think alike. :lol:

Edited by Striated

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I was actually thinking Garnet - Ink of the Year 2014. Pretty deep dark red.

I have it in my M605.... blue silver :P

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Yikes thanks people - now my ink collection is going grow as well.... :)

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

I was actually thinking Garnet - Ink of the Year 2014. Pretty deep dark red.

~Epic

PE Garnet is my go-to red. It's a blue leaning red, not orangey at all. Diamine Syrah is also a deep red.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I find the trouble with most 'dark' reds is that they tend to dry with too much brown tone to them. I had high hopes for Oxblood by Diamine but it dries to 'bred' (red/brown) on the paper. Diamine Matador isn't quite as dark as I would like but it is the reddest red you'll find, makes fire trucks look pink, so it is always in my box.

What about trying that Noodler's one called something like Queen Mary? It is truly <red>, with no hint of brown-ness or ox-blood...

BTW, GordonOz: what is "growning"? Is it a combination of growing and groaning? Maybe it's a new form of pen birth control?

BTW, GordonOz: what is "growning"? Is it a combination of growing and groaning? Maybe it's a new form of pen birth control?

The flock of Pelikans is growing as a matter of fact there is another winging it way towards the roost... :) This time it is a white and tortoise shell M400 with a medium nib.

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Another vote for Diamine Red Dragon. Although I currently have Montblanc Irish Green in mine. I like the contrast of the green with the red/black pen.

http://i.imgur.com/48m24Nf.jpg

Another vote for Diamine Red Dragon. Although I currently have Montblanc Irish Green in mine. I like the contrast of the green with the red/black pen.

http://i.imgur.com/48m24Nf.jpg

I like this red - trouble is our local pen shop does not carry Diamine inks I will have to look online.

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Gordon, if you are reduced to purchasing from USA, then look at xFountainPens, who sell Diamine as Chesterfield -- they buy in bulk and re-package in plastic bottles: much cheaper this way, especially if you buy the 100ml size. Obviously shipping is going to kill you...

Good luck, mate.