What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think as another poster said, most are impulsive. I cautiously "did my homework/checked the bank balance" for the first probably 5 pens, initially going to be "just the one" but soon led to the "first 5."

I truly could have completed coursework for a doctoral degree with the same effort I expanded to determine "these were the BEST 5 pens," I SHOULD buy. I had them, including the Pelikan M800 brown tortoise, despite it being "sold out;" I remembered Stephen Brown saying in his review that, "Peter Twydle called it ,THE pen," so I thought that was a nice recommendation for that choice.

Yet, after those first 5 pens, which had been "carefully considered & purchased," it was "DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE!" I had "chosen my ONE Pelikan, couldn't imagine WHY anyone would want the WHITE one, especially since the M600 IS smaller; UNTIL I DID!" Same story after the first Parker 45, 51, 61 & THEN came Omas........after 5 of them, there seemed to be "other" pens that just "popped UP & consequently popped IN."

I have to blame something for such erratic, foolish actions, so it might aas well be blamed on "impulsive" behavior.

.............AND then there was INK!

I have received 6 bottles this week & managed to have similar amount to be forthcoming. It is a pleasure & I remain grateful to the persons who have shared there knowledge here to make it possible.

Jack...I think you're my brother from another mother cuz we're on the same wavelength!

My last three impulse buys were the recently released FPN LE Blue Pearl Celebration..a gorgeous pen with a beautifully ground nib by our own WIM. Following this, I picked up a Cedar Blue/Silver Cap Parker 51 Aeromatic with a gold 1.1 Stub Nib...how could I resist a Stub nib? And lastly, a Sailor Pro Gear Slim in the Earth edition with a Zoom nib which blows my mind. All three pens are wonderful writers.

Mary

My last impulse buy was last Sunday at the DC show: a mint condition oversize early blue Vacumatic from Sarj Minhas.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Delta Prestige Doue, got it for real cheap, like the looks, but doesn't feel great in my hands, I will keep it though.

A real impulsive buy in a Scottsdale, AZ pen store. I walked in looked around and walked out spending $70 on a $30 Pilot Prera. Truth be told, the pen is worth $70 to me. It is a very smooth extra-fine nib, I would almost go so far as say it is buttery smooth. I did tune it a little.

Also a Parker 51 vacumatic, cedar blue, with blue diamond lifetime jewel from a seller in our classifieds. The pen has no marking at all. It has a very buttery smooth fine nib (only at a very small sweet spot). Love writing with both these pens.

Thoreau "for every thousand hacking at the branches of evil, there is one chopping at the root"

Platinum 3776 Century. Bought it online while waiting in line to pay at a gas station. On my defense, it took quite awhile for the clerk to try fixing the debit machine. That's my story and i'm sticking to it! lol

Mike L.

Platinum 3776 Century. Bought it online while waiting in line to pay at a gas station. On my defense, it took quite awhile for the clerk to try fixing the debit machine. That's my story and i'm sticking to it! lol

Awesome! I love this! It's exactly what I would do... Why waste time standing in a queue doing nothing?

The Platinum 3776 I'm using is pure delight.

Your post doesn't read as "impulsive" unless this purchase meant no food on the table/bills unpaid, or it gets tossed in a drawer unused - doubtful once you ink it up for a test drive :)

Rarely am I impulsive, but recently saw a handful of intriguing pens, all needing very minor to major attention, and likely to be passed along after discussion.

Sheaffer, Parker, probably Waterman, some HR/gold nibs, and what caught my attention Shirley Temple (great celluloid and condition), and the intriguing two, Eagle and Lincoln.

An interesting lot in person too, but definitively clicked in a moment of impulsive pain diversion :P

I have to add tho that I had done plenty of research on the pen beforehand. I simply used the moment to pull the trigger :D

Mike L.

The modern repro Pelikan M101N brown tortoise. I'm a sucker for tortoise.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much all my pen purchases are impulsive. (I'm sure no one else has said that...)

Just snapped up a French Parker 75 Thuya brown laquer, never having even heard of "Thuya" before, and barely having read the seller's description. But the pictures were pretty :)

Walt

My latest is a Jinhao 159, just for the fun of it. Less than $5.00US including shipping; how is that even possible? It arrived a couple of days ago (11 days from China) in a bubble padded envelope, but no damage. I promptly installed a Goulet #6 F nib and a Schmidt converter. For a total of less than 25 bucks I have a great writing pen that is certainly above its pay grade in look and feel.

Sometimes I wonder why I spend 10 to 30 times that amount on pens that perform the same basic function. Then I pull out a urushi lacquered beauty and stop wondering. Of course, those a a bit less impulsive in nature; but only a bit.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Impulse! My purchases are totally reasonable! Every busted-up, speckled, filthy piece of tat I've spent too much money on was completely justifiable at the time.

Saw a Vacumatic Standard Golden/Brown colour, dual tone nib, double jewels, very early model with lockdown filler, for only $15 in local antique/consignment store. Bought it without hesitation.

Most of my Lamys, Mujis, Platinum Balance and inks were impulse buys; I mulled over the Faber Castell Ambition for a long while, which was six months ago - what a lovely pen that turned out to be! Finally just caved in to a Sailor Pro Gear silver in medium... I'm not sure it's so much an impulse buy as just a way of not having to think about it anymore, I was getting a headache just going through all the options, hopefully it's the nib size I want. Bought directly from j-subculture in Japan too, shipped to the US, it will eventually get to me through friends of friends... Hopefully.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell