What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This: Caran d´Ache RNX 316 black.

Ooh, now that's handsome!

Thanks for the additional info ASD, I did say I'm no expert on fude nibs... :)

And for the info about the medium nibs which I did not see when I went searching.

Ooh, now that's handsome!

That´s exactly what I thought when I saw the first picture of this pen. And I always thought they only take cartridges - they don´t, they come with a converter. Plus someone started an enabling thread here on FPN where I learned that the main reason not to buy it (I don´t like cartridges) doesn´t even exist. So... well. Busted my pen budget. Again. But I am telling myself: Life is short, go ahead!

That´s exactly what I thought when I saw the first picture of this pen. And I always thought they only take cartridges - they don´t, they come with a converter. Plus someone started an enabling thread here on FPN where I learned that the main reason not to buy it (I don´t like cartridges) doesn´t even exist. So... well. Busted my pen budget. Again. But I am telling myself: Life is short, go ahead!

Congrats on that handsome pen. I personally don't like cartridges too but, recently I got a pack of cartridges from Scrikss as a result of curiosity. It's a blue black ink, behaves as good as Waterman Serenity, doesn't feather, is well flowing and clings to the paper like a koala clings to a bamboo, even under flowing tap water.

Good things indeed come in small packages.

*: No, the ink is not available as bottles.

Congrats on that handsome pen. I personally don't like cartridges too but, recently I got a pack of cartridges from Scrikss as a result of curiosity. It's a blue black ink, behaves as good as Waterman Serenity, doesn't feather, is well flowing and clings to the paper like a koala clings to a bamboo, even under flowing tap water.

Good things indeed come in small packages.

*: No, the ink is not available as bottles.

Koalas kling to eucalyptus trees, not bamboo.

Pandas are the guys with the bamboo tic. ;)

But I know what you mean.

My pens have so many different filling systems I just don´t want to bother with cartridges. With bottles I can use every ink for every pen. Plus there is no constant plastic waste. And the ink in cartridges not used during longer stretches of time tends to evaporate. I´ve thrown away whole packages in the past. So a pen that doesn´t at least take a converter simply doesn´t get bought.

My pens have so many different filling systems I just don´t want to bother with cartridges. With bottles I can use every ink for every pen. Plus there is no constant plastic waste. And the ink in cartridges not used during longer stretches of time tends to evaporate. I´ve thrown away whole packages in the past. So a pen that doesn´t at least take a converter simply doesn´t get bought.

I'm extremely tired today. So my brain is randomly changing animals and their favorites foods and living quarters, sorry :)

I think newer cartridges are less prone to evaporation. At least this is my experience. While I don't use cartridges much, I tend to flush and keep them. Since standard international is relatively small, it makes a nice "just for testing" fill. I keep longer ones to "fill" my more frequently used pens. Moreover, the marble agitates the ink so, surface tension related problems are minimized.

I've never seen a pen which doesn't work with a converter yet. If that Caran d'Ache doesn't allow one, that'd be an interesting "feature" of that pen. Converter is a non-issue for me since both there are good inks in long cartridges (like Pelikan Edelstein) and, I can fill empty ones with whatever I want. It's a bit tedious but, we like to use this finicky things called fountain pens, right? :D

I've never seen a pen which doesn't work with a converter yet.

Try a Sailor Professional Gear Slim Mini (although I vaguely recall reading recently that, after decades, Sailor is finally going to produce a converter for retail that will fit this short pen model).

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I've never seen a pen which doesn't work with a converter yet. If that Caran d'Ache doesn't allow one, that'd be an interesting "feature" of that pen. Converter is a non-issue for me since both there are good inks in long cartridges (like Pelikan Edelstein) and, I can fill empty ones with whatever I want. It's a bit tedious but, we like to use this finicky things called fountain pens, right? :D

This Caran d´Ache has a rather special opening mechanism that makes it look like a piston filler on first glance. And everything I read said "It takes Caran d´Ache cartridges." No word about a converter, so I assumed there was none. With time passing it became an "Alas, just pictures"-pen for me. And then someone said that there is in fact a converter.

Yes, fountain pens are finicky things per se, but I had to use lots and lots of cartridges when I was a kid and I am somehow fed up with them. Getting my first piston filler as a 13 or 14 year old was a revelation to me and I loved them ever since. Converters are a compromise I don´t like that much but put up with.

• 2 weeks later...

If you re-use the cartridges by refilling them there's not much plastic waste at all :) .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

If you re-use the cartridges by refilling them there's not much plastic waste at all :) .

I have experienced reused cartridges getting loose in the pen. And of course you can´t take any spare ones with you. Plus it´s a lot easier to fill a piston filler or a converter.

Nah... I don´t think that cartridges and me will get friends in this life...

I do have converters for some pens, I regularly refill cartridges too:

- the available converter is too small, smaller than the cartridge ie Kaweco Sport and Sailor

- the a converter is unavailable or too expensive ie Sailor Neo calligraphy pens where the converter would have added 50% to the price of the pen

As far as carrying a spare: I carry a new unopened one. It's rarely needed because I check the ink level in a pen before I head out. All used cartridges are cleaned and kept in case the main one wears out. It about keeps up, some cartridges I've been refilling for years. I find them no more difficult to clean than a converter.

I just have to be a little bit organised.

fpn_1600729789__little_boxes_sm.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I do have converters for some pens,

_...‹snip›...

I just have to be a little bit organised.

You don't say! :notworthy1: I am — or was, before even opened bottles wouldn't all fit inside my desk any more now — organised with my inks, but how I store spare converters, nibs, etc. is a total mess.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I have not been on the FPN site for about ten years but I have been looking in since July this year. During that time I purchased a Pelikan M400 and then a week or two later a bit rashly bought a Cleo Skribant Classic pen. Both with f nibs. The Pel is great and the Cleo not bad either and I'm using both a lot. (With De Atramentis blue and dark blue document inks).

Edited by shostakovich

I have not been on the FPN site for about ten years but I have been looking in since July this year. During that time I purchased a Pelikan M400 and then a week or two later a bit rashly bought a Cleo Skribant Classic pen. Both with f nibs. The Pel is great and the Cleo not bad either and I'm using both a lot. (With De Atramentis blue and dark blue document inks).

Welcome back. Those are both very nice pens. Are you happy with them? Why or why not?

I have been considering a Cleo myself for some time, but I have not yet purchased one.

The Pelikan Souverän is lovely in any size, I think it is just a matter of finding the size that appeals best to a given individual.

Welcome back. Those are both very nice pens. Are you happy with them? Why or why not?

I have been considering a Cleo myself for some time, but I have not yet purchased one.

The Pelikan Souverän is lovely in any size, I think it is just a matter of finding the size that appeals best to a given individual.

Yes, I do agree. I like all my Pelikans and I am very happy with them. I have two M400's and one M800 all with f nibs. Also m200's (two - one f and one bb). The f nib M200 is from 1987. The Cleo is nice, but not quite as nice as the Pelikans.

I have some vintage pens some of which are quite nice but others are not great. I do not use them much, it's my modern Pels I have inked for use. f

Edited by shostakovich

Yeah, but that's a major PITA. You have to refill them with a syringe or one of those dropper things, and then figure out a way to seal them back up (for those that do want to go that route, I recommend getting the 100% silicone caulk that is used to prevent leaks around bathtubs -- but I was only able to get a large tube of it and will never go through it). I did that when I got started. Much happier if I can get converters for those pens.

I MUCH prefer pens that are not c/c pens (although I do have a lot of those -- but always get converters for them). And c/c pens that don't take converters, and are cartridge only? That's my #1 dealbreaker. Even before size/weight and price. I have a few pens (a Waterman Exclusive and a couple of Sheaffer Skripserts) and had a heck of a time being able to get converters that would fit. Glad I didn't pay a lot for any of them -- and one of the Skripserts was a gift from a friend, and had been his stepgrandfather's pen; $10 and $5 plus tax for the other two, respectively.

@ shostakovich -- The M400/M200 size pens are a perfect size and weight for my hand. My first one was a 1990s era Brown Tortoise (bought for a special occasion). And I love it. My favorite pens are Parkers (51s and Vacs for vintage, and Vectors for modern) -- but my EXPENSIVE pens are all Pelikans. I think that piston pens are my favorite fill system (oh if Parker had made piston-fill 51s it would have been a marriage made in Heaven! :D)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Yeah, but that's a major PITA. You have to refill them with a syringe or one of those dropper things, and then figure out a way to seal them back up (for those that do want to go that route, I recommend getting the 100% silicone caulk that is used to prevent leaks around bathtubs -- but I was only able to get a large tube of it and will never go through it). I did that when I got started. Much happier if I can get converters for those pens.

I MUCH prefer pens that are not c/c pens (although I do have a lot of those -- but always get converters for them). And c/c pens that don't take converters, and are cartridge only? That's my #1 dealbreaker. Even before size/weight and price. I have a few pens (a Waterman Exclusive and a couple of Sheaffer Skripserts) and had a heck of a time being able to get converters that would fit. Glad I didn't pay a lot for any of them -- and one of the Skripserts was a gift from a friend, and had been his stepgrandfather's pen; $10 and $5 plus tax for the other two, respectively.

@ shostakovich -- The M400/M200 size pens are a perfect size and weight for my hand. My first one was a 1990s era Brown Tortoise (bought for a special occasion). And I love it. My favorite pens are Parkers (51s and Vacs for vintage, and Vectors for modern) -- but my EXPENSIVE pens are all Pelikans. I think that piston pens are my favorite fill system (oh if Parker had made piston-fill 51s it would have been a marriage made in Heaven! :D)

I have used a Sheaffer pushbutton converter in Skripserts, but these are old and a little pricey. From Peyton Street Pens, about $20. I am also using this converter, the Sheaffer Pushbutton converter in Sheaffer Imperial cartridge only pens. I have found the pushbutton converter fits in most Sheaffer cartridge pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Concerning the Cleo Skribant Classic I have today had a hard start with it and it is nearly full of ink. I used it yesterday and it was fine. So I do not consider it as reliable as the Pelikans. It's OK but not fantastic and is however a reasonable writer, in my hand anyway. I think that for not a lot more money an M400 Pel is a better buy, and for a lot less money the M200's are excellent.

Concerning the Cleo Skribant Classic I have today had a hard start with it and it is nearly full of ink. I used it yesterday and it was fine. So I do not consider it as reliable as the Pelikans. It's OK but not fantastic and is however a reasonable writer, in my hand anyway. I think that for not a lot more money an M400 Pel is a better buy, and for a lot less money the M200's are excellent.

Thank you for the additional feedback. I will take it under consideration. The Cleo has a bit of a distinctive look that somehow captures my attention.

One does not have to work hard to convince me of the many positive features of Pelikan pens. Although there are many manufacturers represented in my collection, I am a hopeless Pelikan fanboi.

I have used a Sheaffer pushbutton converter in Skripserts, but these are old and a little pricey. From Peyton Street Pens, about $20. I am also using this converter, the Sheaffer Pushbutton converter in Sheaffer Imperial cartridge only pens. I have found the pushbutton converter fits in most Sheaffer cartridge pens.

"A little pricy" is an understatement.... :o Just ONE of the converters would have cost at least four times what I paid for the Lady Skripsert (the other one -- the one was a friend's step-grandfaher's pen was a gift).

I was able to get converters at the Ohio Pen Show last year (the guy in the back corner of one of the rooms that used to work for Sheaffer).

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."