What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

It's not really an impulse buy, but the price is a bit steep for me. I bought a new Pilot Vanishing Point on Classifieds here in matte black for $90. It's coming on Thursday, so excited!

Hi Surprise,

Those are nice pens... I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Hi all,

I bought a restored aqua blue Sheaffer Sentinel Snorkel pen/pencil set on an impulse. :)

- Anthony

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a double impulse early this year...

I was checking Indian pens and had come to conclusion I would like to buy a Gama Eyas

you know when you leave your browsers open on a million pages and the go do something else?

well Firefox actually managed to remain open on those pages (without crashing!) for about 10 days...

so sometimes later I went back to the open page and bought the pen

then I had a deja vu...checked paypal and found out I had bought the pen already about 10 days earlier...

shikes...one has already reached me... I'm waiting for the other one now... :wallbash:

lucky they were reasonably cheap...

A TWSBI 700, which arrived today and a Parker 51 Aerometric with an Italic nib, arriving Friday.

I need to get back on the wagon

An ebay Esterbrook J, it had the nib I wanted. I got it for less than what the nib usually goes for so it is possible I got a bargain, also possible I got nothing, you can't tell with ebay.

I was within an inch of buying on impulse a Visconti Homo Sapiens Lava Bronze Age oversized at the Columbus Pen Show. I did not. But, it felt, looked and wrote so well, I thought about it often for the next month. Then I saw a good buy a week before Christmas. I was not going to decline this opportunity. Glad I jumped. Love the pen.

Every pen I buy these days is an impulse buy, even if the impulse may have germinated months ago. :wacko:

Most recently: a Pelikan M600 Vibrant Orange with an EF nib customised for me by Dan Smith, and an Aurora Optima 365 from La Couronne du Comte, both ordered within a span of 90 minutes.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Hi Surprise,

Those are nice pens... I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Hi all,

I bought a restored aqua blue Sheaffer Sentinel Snorkel pen/pencil set on an impulse. :)

- Anthony

On another impulse, I bought a Parker 51 set with a monster of a stub nib. I put down a lowball offer of $85 and the seller accepted, for some reason.

An ebay Esterbrook J, it had the nib I wanted. I got it for less than what the nib usually goes for so it is possible I got a bargain, also possible I got nothing, you can't tell with ebay.

Either way, replacing a sac is easy and cheap. Personally, I never buy restored lever fillers and choose to restore them myself.

A TWSBI 700, which arrived today and a Parker 51 Aerometric with an Italic nib, arriving Friday.

I need to get back on the wagon

Did you get that teal one from Ebay? I was eyeing it until the price went NUCLEAR.

I don't think I have ever bought a pen on impulse.

Guess we balance out then... I think most of mine come from impulse buying.

I purchased an Eboya Natsume online from the maker 2 days ago and very, very nearly paid for a Wancher Aka-tamenuri a few minutes ago. But thoughts my grail pen very quickly snapped some sense back in to me.

Remember that grail, not homage pens.

PenBBS 355. I liked the 456 vacuum filling model a lot and was curious about the "bulk-filling" style. I am very please3d with both as writers and they will be perfect for traveling.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Just impulse bought a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age Oversized (F nib) yesterday when I saw an amazing deal on Ebay - I couldn't resist...
It arrived an hour ago and I must say the Dreamtouch nib lives up to my expectations.

A Pelikan M620 Stockholm arrived yesterday. These City and Place Series pens are almost always impulse buys, because they don't come up for sale that often.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Earlier this month Massdrop had a Pelikan Jazz Elegance with a six pack of cartridges in black or white for $14.99. I bought two. One white, one black. If I recall correctly one pack of blue one of green. Last check of the tracking, it left Groveport Ohio last night. Due to arrive Saturday.

If I don't like it, I am not out much.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

A (NOS) Delta Seawood in natural iroko and with a Fusion EF nib. Never even crossed my mind to consider buying a Delta until I saw it on offer on a web site tonight, while I was trying to find enough things to buy and take advantage of a coupon before it expired. I don't have the first clue whether I got it for a good price, given it isn't so easy to find the current market price for it. It just looks interesting enough, and I was going to spend the qualifying amount (for the discount) on something anyhow, so why not that?

How's that for impulse buying?

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I almost did an impulse purchase yesterday -- an aqua blue Sheaffer Snorkel in an antiques mall a couple of hours away. It wasn't cheap, but if I'd had enough cash (or the checkbook with me), I could have gotten it for 75% off the listed price. Which would have made it a much more reasonable price, even factoring the cost of repairs. But I wasn't sure I had QUITE enough for the discount price plus sales tax. So I walked away (for now -- I might go back in a week or two and see if it's still there.... [The other three pens I spotted, in other booths were junkers of one sort of another

And then when I got home, I discovered that a friend had stopped by and was helping my husband go through tubs in the dining room to try and straighten it out, and he GAVE me some Sheaffer cartridge pen when had belonged to his step-grandfather's. So now I have to take pix of the pen, the box, the 2 dried up but unused cartridges IN the box, etc., to try and ID the model.... Which is clearly NOS (still has the chalk mark price and nib width on the barrel). And once I do that, maybe I can track down a converter that will fit it....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."