Success!

missuslovett

What is it that makes me come back so regularly to the warm, slippery comfort of a vintage Montblanc? A few have passed through my hands since the illness took hold and for some time now, I've been searching for my perfect Montblanc. One that sits in my hand just right and compliments the eccentricities of my writing. The right weight; the right nib; the right feed and balance. Now I'm happy to report that after extensive and enjoyable field trials, I have found it! It's a vintage 264. The nib is an oblique medium with soft flex from F-BB. The line it lays down is so ready it's almost disconcerting, a whisper of inky loveliness that's driven me to embarrassing rhapsodies on this forum. When first I picked up the Montblanc marque, I could reasonably have said, "Nice, but what's the big deal?". But this, ladies and gentleman is a cracker! Don't just take my word for it:

http://goodwriterspens.com/?s=mont+blanc+264

Even though I know I shall entertain other MBs in future (why stop while I'm enjoying it?), this lovely 264 is mine.

***Apologies for any hyperbole used in this communique.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• missuslovett

• jar

• CS388

• da vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are your thing, nothing can beat an oblique nib and Montblanc has definitely made some great oblique nibs over the years.

Congrats on the "new" pen. Enjoy it!

Congratulations. That's a beauty.

I'd guess that your nib may be wider than a Medium? The photo looks like a Broad - at least. Nice and juicy!

Can't see any oblique on it, but that just could be the angle of the photograph.

Enjoy.

Your writing sample is most impressive! That is one great nib, and it certainly gets great expression in your hand.

Thank you for sharing this!

Late to bed, late to rise

No disadvantage that I can surmise

Ah, now I can see what I did wrong there... :unsure:

I linked to a blog by Goodwriter'spen. She is not me!! I read her blog piece long before I snaffled my own 264 and was delighted to find I agreed with her glowing report. Her's is a broad oblique, mine is a medium oblique. I obviously need to put my mouth were my trousers are to avoid further confusion...

Congratulations on finding your 'one pen'!

The 264 is actually one pen I'd like to try at some point: I have all of the 25X pens (and love them for their excellent nib & good ergonomics), but I have to be very careful with them due to the cap's tendency to develop hairline cracks. Because the 264 was a screw-cap, this isn't an issue and I'd feel much more confident about using it regularly...

The 25x s are lovely, aren't they? I really love the wing nibs too but I know what you mean about the caps :)

I remember a friend of mine who drove for a living getting car sick in a Rolls Royce. The ride was just too smooth and quiet! Likewise this pen is almost disconcertingly responsive and aristocratic. I daresay I'll get used to it!

Truly a marvelous pen! As I said elsewhere, a "zen nib", especially for a shifty-fingered lefty like me. I can only dream about having handwriting as what I see here.

"Here was a man who had said, with his wan smile, that once he realized that he would never be a protagonist, he decided to become, instead, an intelligent spectator, for there was no point in writing without serious motivation." - Casaubon referring to Belbo, Foucault's Pendulum.