Problem With Pilot Custom Heritage 92

domer

Hi, this is my first pen-related post ever. I recently started a modest collection of fountain pens and finally splurged on the more expensive Pilot CH92, but unfortunately I can't get it to write properly. It writes perfectly on 'pull' strokes, but not at all on 'push' strokes, even if I push really hard. None of my other pens have had this problem, so I'm hoping that someone here can help. This might be a common issue that I'm not finding in my searches because I don't know the correct terminology; if that's the case then just set me straight and I'll go check it out. Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndigoBOB

• Bluey

• domer

• Driften

Top Posters In This Topic

My CH92 was a bit too dry OOTB, and exhibited similar symptoms. Spreading the tines a little has fixed the issue totally for me. Refer Step 5 in the link below for the method I use. Go slow! It's easy to spread the tines further to increase the wetness, but not so easy to reverse the operation. Also remember to check the alignment with a loupe after each adjustment.

http://www.nibs.com/Article6.html

My hands are covered in ink, but that definitely worked. It took maybe 5 or 6 attempts to get it right, and I may have gone just a bit too far on the wet side, but it is damn near perfect. Thanks for the suggestion!

Congratulations on your first nib adjustment.

Also, for the record, don't press down on the pen. Especially don't press down "really hard." When you write with a fountain pen, unless you are intentionally using a special flexible-nib pen to modulate the line width (as in copperplate calligraphy) you should let the weight of the pen alone press down on the paper. You should not add more pressure from your fingers.

Enjoy!

ron

• 1 year later...

I am receiving my CH 92-B tomorrow and I was worried that it might be dry. I don't want to ink it up and not be able to return it if it is known to have problems...

So I must ask, how does the CH 92 write under its own weight? Is it sufficient to lay down a consistent line?

Jetpens.com says:

• In our experience, this pen requires moderate writing pressure for best performance. Users with a very light hand may experience skipping or inconsistent performance.

Is this how the pen writes? I've heard people having to spread the tines after they buy it. Is that sufficient to get the pent to write under its own weight and put down a solid line?

I find the custom series to be on the dry side in general. Perhaps it's intentional and has something to do with them being for Japanese markets.

In my Custom 74 I was quite glad of it being a touch on the dry side as it showed ink shading more clearly and gave a nice effect.

Edited by Bluey

I find the custom series to be on the dry side in general. Perhaps it's intentional and has something to do with them being for Japanese markets.

In my Custom 74 I was quite glad of it being a touch on the dry side as it showed ink shading more clearly and gave a nice effect.

Did you work on your tines at all and increase the gap?

I've heard that pilot typically sells their custom 74's and 92's with tight tines.

Did you work on your tines at all and increase the gap?

I've heard that pilot typically sells their custom 74's and 92's with tight tines.

No, I left it as it was as I found the amount of flow just right.

I think many Japanese pens are deliberately set with tighter tines, not just Pilot.

Edited by Bluey

Do you find or do you think that a wetter ink would increase the flow?

Right now I have Noodler's Black and Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo, as well as a 30mL of Diamine Midnight on the way.

I have also heard that though it is a bit dry with minimal pressure, due to the flex of the gold, increased pressure provides an increased inkflow....

...as you say, the shading would be a nice added effect that accompanies the characteristics of the gold nib and I wouldn't mind acclimating myself to it since I have only ever used steel nibs.

But since you have the 74 and 92, I presume you are a fan.

I'm not sure because most ink that I have is wet. Generally it's best to use wet ink with a dry pen and vice versa.

The shading isn't a characteristic of a gold nib but of the slightly drier nature in combination with a softer nib. Nibs which are too wet (eg like the Pilot Falcon) rarely if ever shade with any ink, especially on cheaper paper.

I used to have the Pilot Custom 74 but I sold it. I only bought it originally to experience a soft nib. The nib on the 92 is exactly the same in character and size as that on the 74.

Edited by Bluey

Yes, the Pen Habit's review of the 74 broad was one that motivated me to get this pen since they are the same nibs. I prefer the slightly shorter length of the 92 when posted and of course the piston.

I am receiving my CH 92-B tomorrow and I was worried that it might be dry. I don't want to ink it up and not be able to return it if it is known to have problems...

So I must ask, how does the CH 92 write under its own weight? Is it sufficient to lay down a consistent line?

Jetpens.com says:

• In our experience, this pen requires moderate writing pressure for best performance. Users with a very light hand may experience skipping or inconsistent performance.

Is this how the pen writes? I've heard people having to spread the tines after they buy it. Is that sufficient to get the pent to write under its own weight and put down a solid line?

It really depends on which nib width you get. My F nib is dry, my MF is what I think is normal, and the two M's I have are very wet. I expect your B should be wet out of the box. My MF and M will write a solid line with just with the pressure of the pen.

It really depends on which nib width you get. My F nib is dry, my MF is what I think is normal, and the two M's I have are very wet. I expect your B should be wet out of the box. My MF and M will write a solid line with just with the pressure of the pen.

Thank you. Sounds good.