Pilot’S Pocket Pen: Elite 95S Review

sannidh

If you ask me, I am not really much into pocket pens. But this is a pocket pen I could never ignore, thanks to the excellent reviews from none other than Hari. I doubt if it could be a desirable starter fountain pen, but I do find it as a great VFM, given the stunningly big 14k gold nib. And finally it is good friends with my MTN pen holder. Here is a copy of this review on my blog:

Elite 95S Review

The Elite 95S (or E95S in US) was released as Pilot’s 95th anniversary pen in 2013, sporting a Pilot 14k nib, which is larger than a standard Pilot#5 nib. The Elite S was originally a pocket pen designed by Pilot in 1968. The second run of these pens occurred in 1974. The 95S is more of a evolution of the Elite S fountain pen and as it was launched 95 years after the company’s inception (i.e. 1918) it does carry the first two digits of the model number as ‘95’ with the S and the third digit is by default ‘1’ usually refers price at launch of the pen (i.e 1 X JPY 10,000). It’s referred as the E95S in the US market due to copyright obligations.

The Elite 95S (for the Asian market, Model #FES-1MM-DR/B-EF/F/M) comes packaged in a standard pilot gift box (Z-CR-GN) which is usually more of a protection rather than presentation.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mVy918MFP7Q/VfAnBI0ZpKI/AAAAAAAAFdk/WinvMivuiDM/s1600/DSC_6068.jpg

DESIGN - FOR YOUR POCKET (6/6)

The E95S comes in two standard designs of acrylic resin with a double anodised aluminium cap - Black, Deep Red (or burgundy) in gold plated trims. The acrylic resin material feels sturdy but light, I guess a defining feature for a light pocket pen sharing one dimension with your shirt pocket. You will definitely like the E95S if you like Kaweco Sport pens.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E7QnDJIvgSY/VfAnA6IemxI/AAAAAAAAFdg/GFL7E97DuLI/s1600/DSC_6074.jpg

The tapered geometry starts with a flattened finial of a pearly cap (with a hint of red shade) with a gold plated clip syncing nicely with concentric cap bands and a differentiated ring from the section before it concludes with burgundy of the barrel. The glossy red resin shines moderately under light and creates a good contrast with the cap. This pen seems to preserve a vintage look both in terms of design and make. The cap is light and and can be pulled out quite smoothly, revealing a big dazzling gold nib.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bpP3S0t-IZ8/VfAnAQrDXFI/AAAAAAAAFdY/syxBzXN6o9w/s1600/DSC_6084.jpg

The grip section is moulded from the same burgundy resin and a thick golden step announces its beginning as well as the end stop for posting the cap. But as usual, the nib dazzles out the rest. The posted pen gains considerable length and renders both beauty and a deep red contrast to the pearly finish of the cap.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tu7FwfaAig0/VfAnH6CGu0I/AAAAAAAAFds/PtDIhpr0dnw/s1600/DSC_6088.jpg

The snap cap with a slightly domed finial preserves a rather classical look. A few things etched across the lower band of the cap includes the model name of Elite on one side and PILOT & JAPAN on the other. Two concentric bands of golden paint render aesthetics to the entire pen, as the cap is quite significant for this pen. The spring loaded clip with an associate loop, has a rectangular top view with geometrical cuts. It’s engraved with PILOT vertically. The design of the clip is reminiscent of older Pilot pens.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6myhhnZXmqs/VfAnRhk2fYI/AAAAAAAAFew/NRpYMhDpeck/s1600/cap.jpg

FILLING SYSTEM (5/6)

The barrel unscrews from the section which has a metallic insert carrying the necessary threads for syncing with the resin threads inside the barrel. One of those rare pens, in which the section is considerably longer than its barrel.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-R9nqKFombjg/VfAnItHuCtI/AAAAAAAAFd8/BfKRHQF7WfI/s1600/DSC_6108.jpg

The pen takes only pilot CON-20 (0.5 mL) converter and pilot proprietary cartridges (0.9 mL) because of its size limitations.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Hl1jSygOJJE/VfAnIlye93I/AAAAAAAAFeA/GRbeD8Gu5OY/s1600/DSC_6110.jpg

NIB - ALL THAT MATTERS (5/6)

The nib is inset and comes in a 14k design across three stock widths - EF, F & M. The tail end of the nib specifies the month and year of manufacture. It has no other scrollwork apart from branding and nib specs. By the way, the productions are limited to 5000 pieces and that’s why you mostly see 413 (April-2013) as timestamp (or monthstamp) on these nibs.

All branding and nib specs namely 14k-585 (58.5% Au Alloy), PILOT, along with the nib width & country of manufacture i.e JAPAN are imprinted below the breather hole. The tines are relatively short, given the longish nib.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YJBZbvTTBLI/VfAnJL8huMI/AAAAAAAAFeE/92C_DapDp7c/s1600/DSC_6114.jpg

A partially enclosed or rather hooded bluish grey plastic feed with big feeder hole provides ink suction and a decent buffer.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-B2HUUDsP73c/VfAnKTv9ieI/AAAAAAAAFeM/7AILQMYxqrA/s1600/DSC_6120.jpg

PHYSICS OF IT (5/6) – RELATIVELY SPEAKING

This is a pocket pen and measures only around 12 cm closed. It is meant to be posted for writing and in addition to the length the cap does add some weight. Though the cap itself is quite light and weighs only 6 grams, the snap mechanism does make it a quick note scribbler. The grip is comfortably tapered ending with a longish nib.

• Closed ~ 12 cm
  • Uncapped Length ~ 10.5 cm
  • Posted Length ~ 14.7 cm
  • Nib Leverage ~ 2.4 cm
  • Overall Weight ~ 17 g (without converter)

Capped, uncapped and posted comparisons with a Pelikan m2XX/4xx go below for your reference.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JJ0soCVTLV8/VfAnO3mOo2I/AAAAAAAAFec/g9R4qaz8Nms/s1600/DSC_6124.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MdcN6mtgxuQ/VfAnPPYxQgI/AAAAAAAAFeg/0I-4FVIG11s/s1600/DSC_6128.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Cc7yiDx_MUE/VfAnPfe_giI/AAAAAAAAFek/IYqa_kJJDnI/s1600/DSC_6132.jpg

ECONOMIC VALUE (6/6)

The E95S retails at around USD 136 in the US, although it sell at USD 100 or even less, in Japanese shops like Engeika or Rakuten. I had bought the first pen from Engeika’s Indian Arm - Pensindia. It’s a definite VFM pen.

OVERALL (5.4/6)

The fine nib has some feedback but is graced with a wet flow. Although pilot does not associate any softness with these nibs, these nibs are quite springy and have a decent amount of flex, the leverage coming from their unique shape. The verticals can grow thicker with slight pressure. The nib has a moderate flow, taking less than 25 seconds to dry a wet Diamine Majestic Blue ink on MD Paper. The paper grids are 5 mm squares.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-iBITKFR13ak/VfAnSeFtIyI/AAAAAAAAFe0/ySbwApClgHw/s1600/DSC_6133.jpg

Thank you for going through the review.

You can find some more pen and paraphernalia reviews here.

ADORABLE REVIEWS

Hari's Review of Red

Elite 95S Black

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• Newjelan

• hari317

• pgd84

Thank you for this review. I love the look of this pen.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Thank you for this review. I love the look of this pen.

Thanks Bookman.. Me too :), it's more attractive than the older elites

Amazing review and beautiful pictures, as always!!

Thanks Pradeep :)

Hi Sonik, excellent post, thanks! Do you like this pen or are you neutral about it?

Best

Hari

Thanks Hari..I like this pen, but my elation got dampened partly due to the nib. Had inked it up for this review, when I discovered it had a fair bit of drag, unlike the other fine points.

Btw, it's on its way for replacement.

Regards,

Sonik

Like your reviews.. keep going.

I got the black version of Elite 95s. the excitement of owning my first gold nib got dampened by the nib. I got M and it wrote a B. Good I got a Celemo along with this. that's a wonder pen.

Regards

Subramoniam

Like your reviews.. keep going.

I got the black version of Elite 95s. the excitement of owning my first gold nib got dampened by the nib. I got M and it wrote a B. Good I got a Celemo along with this. that's a wonder pen.

Thank you Subbu.

I had heard that mediums correspond to slightly broad widths esp for the E95S (and there are no broad nibs for this, only EF,F & M)

Celemo & Custom are define VFMs :).

Congrats!

Regards,

Sonik

Nice review - thank you. I have a 95S with an F nib which, although a bit stiff to start with, has 'settled' with use and is now a very enjoyable writer. However it is eclipsed by my vintage Elite with a phenomenal 18k SF nib. It writes so beautifully that I'd say it was in my top 3 pens. Everyone who tries it loves it.

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

Nice review - thank you. I have a 95S with an F nib which, although a bit stiff to start with, has 'settled' with use and is now a very enjoyable writer. However it is eclipsed by my vintage Elite with a phenomenal 18k SF nib. It writes so beautifully that I'd say it was in my top 3 pens. Everyone who tries it loves it.

Thank you, migo. I have heard only great things about vintage 18k Elite nibs. I will gather one when possible :)

but one thing about this pen it after reading your review I took it out of my pen box after may be more than 2 months. It wrote without any hick-up even in a dry ambient here. :)

Regards

Subramoniam

but one thing about this pen it after reading your review I took it out of my pen box after may be more than 2 months. It wrote without any hick-up even in a dry ambient here. :)

:)

Thanks for sharing this update..Meanwhile I am waiting my replacement.

I have the black version EF, was quite scratchy when I got it. After lots of smoothing it now writes like an F, but quite nice now.

What I like about Pilot pens is the ink flow, quite OK for my taste. Could not get friendly with ink flow from Sailor or Platinum.

I have the black version EF, was quite scratchy when I got it. After lots of smoothing it now writes like an F, but quite nice now.

What I like about Pilot pens is the ink flow, quite OK for my taste. Could not get friendly with ink flow from Sailor or Platinum.

You are spot on, about the flow of pilots. IME pilot medium/then broad nibs are very safe bets to go with.

Edited by soniknitr

• 4 weeks later...

Addendum - I got the fine nib replaced with a medium one, since I felt that it was giving more than the usual levels of feedback. The medium nib has the same springiness/softness but runs quite on the broader side. I am happy with this nib, though people who prefer pilot fine and medium nibs might find this width a bit too broad for their taste (which Subbu has already pointed out).http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Durrr7BawpE/VhkBYDpZubI/AAAAAAAAFj8/PYQttfsPcjE/s1600/DSC_6461.jpg

I also have this pen with a M nib and although it does write more like a broad, I really like it. I hardly use the pen though because mine is a hard starter and as I'm out and about a great deal, so using water to help start it isn't an option.

i hope you are enjoying your lil bundle of joy the elite 95s i got mine from jsubculture after reading Haris review of the pen for about 75 usd

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Lovely review. I had a 95s for a short while. I loved the form and the feel of the pen, but the M nib was just too narrow for my taste. I keep hoping a B or bigger nib will be released for this pen, but I don't think its practical in a pen this small. Well wear.

Omg! This pen a amazing beyond words.....was lucky enough to use Sonik's pen, the subject of this review, and what a joy! I just couldnt beleive it, all it took is to write one alphabet to fall in love!! Cant wait to receive mine...

Thank you Sonik for the oppurtinity to try this one out.

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

I also have this pen with a M nib and although it does write more like a broad, I really like it. I hardly use the pen though because mine is a hard starter and as I'm out and about a great deal, so using water to help start it isn't an option.

Think weather might be a problem & water dip isn't long term, just takes the joy out of the pen. Mine works really well in Indian temperatures.