A Cunning Plan To Foil The In-House Pen Thief (Or Redistribution Agent)

Intellidepth

For years I have suspected my wonderful husband of redistributing my 'good' pens (non fp) from our house to the office/clients and bringing back those nasty freebies given away at conferences. I now have proof.

There are no rollerballs left in the house whatsoever and only one freebie ballpoint left. I used to buy a set of rollerballs for my exams every 3 months (they oddly all disappeared rapidly post-exams). That routine purchase habit ceased when I received my Pilot Custom Heritage with PO nib. It thoroughly proved itself in the lengthiest exam I've yet sat.

I looked at my pen caddy in my home office this week, thought it looked pretty empty and have only just realised that it had Zero rollerballs in it. Everywhere else at home? Zero.

Do you reckon if I pull out my Jinhao X450's and leave them lying around that they'll last long?

I might have to ink them with unusual not-office-friendly inks tee hee hee (insert evil look of glee here). Or shall I start a counter-espionage effort and ensure they're all stocked with office-friendly inks and convert his staff?

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intellidepth

• cattar

• Starguard

• e-beth

I would go with fun fall colours in a FP and see what happens... I have a bit of a similar situation - a Lamy Vista and Retro 51's will up and leave periodically but even semi-nice FP's like the 146 are left alone. I switched to using brown gel refills and it has taken care of the pen holidays...

Hahaha! Loving these suggestions. Especially Hello Kitty.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

A few suggestions. Herbin Orange Indien and Rose cyclamen. Rohrer & Klingner Solferino. Pilot muraski-shikibu. Diamine pumpkin. Pelikan amethyst.

And a bunch of Hello Kitty gel pens :-)

I love it! Especially the Hello Kitty pens. I may need to pick some up for my daughter.

I just refilled my Pelikan M205 Taupe EF pen with Rohrer & Klingner Solferino. It's quite bright for a full page of writing.

I think a green needs to be added to the mix, for variety. ;)

Rohrer & Klingner Smaragndgrun (a bright emerald green)

And a blue too...

Waterman South Seas Blue, now called Inpired Blue (a bright turquoise blue)

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

Brights and browns have been effective for thwarting pen walking - FPN vermillion is good.

Fountain pens with blue or black ink seems to wander off fairly quickly.

Divorce him.

Think of all the time you'll save hunting for missing rollerballs.

You'll be able to take up a new hobby or two.

Or take the Jinhao 450 - fill the cap blood red ink and screw it back together. When it disappears, report him to the police for murder.

I don't know if its possible. We had house gnomes in Syracuse that used to swipe things, small but useful things on a regular basis. I have proof positive of this that I'll share with anyone who has the time to listen. They left something that was gone for 3 years in a spot that I used to clean regularly, and was out in the open. I could not have missed it, but there it was one morning when I went into the shop.

We moved to western PA in January 2014, and left them behind. Nothing went missing (other than that which didn't get unpacked) for over a year. Then they caught up with us and my tools disappeared. They just returned my best jewelers loupe this afternoon, in a parts bin that I have rummaged around in dozens of times since the loupe disappeared.

I therefore doubt that you will have any luck keeping your rollerballs from disappearing. Good luck.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

He is not a thief ! Community property, etc. eh ?

Take money from HIS wallet and buy the rollers by the gross. Repeat as needed.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

He is not a thief ! Community property, etc. eh ?

Take money from HIS wallet and buy the rollers by the gross. Repeat as needed.

Australian law on this matter may surprise.

Laughing a lot here. Loving these suggestions.

I filled the Jinhaos today plus a sacrificial Lamy, then decided that a Jinhao I'd ground a nib on was far too nice a writer to let him spirit it away. So it's filled with hot pink Iroshizuku TsuTsuji and is staked out under cover near a Pilot Custom Heritage.

This week's redistribution gifts are inked with a vibrant violet purple, a brown, and a mid-turquoise. The trap is set.

Sacrificial lamy, hahaha

Wise move on the hot pink. and lovely inks for the trappings.

We will want updates.

Edited by cattar

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC there were some Stypen Creek fountain pens sold some years ago that had some pretty wild looking graphics on the barrels and caps. You might get some of those, too.

As for inks, a bottle of Noodler's Apache Sunset or Georgia Rose might do the trick. Nathan used to sell a completely wild red ink, but I don't see it advertised anymore.

My personal reaction to anyone taking away my pens would involve seeking legal counsel, but YMMV.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I don't know if its possible. We had house gnomes in Syracuse that used to swipe thing, small but useful things on a regular basis. I have proof positive of this that I'll share with anyone who has the time to listen. They left something that was gone for 3 years in a spot that I used to clean regularly, and was out in the open. I could not have missed it, but there it was one morning when I went into the shop.

We moved to western PA in January 2014, and left them behind. Nothing went missing (other than that which didn't get unpacked) for over a year. Then they caught up with us and my tools disappeared. They just returned my best jewelers loupe this afternoon, in a parts bin that I have rummaged around in dozens of times since the loupe disappeared.

I therefore doubt that you will have any luck keeping your rollerballs from disappearing. Good luck.

They were Borrowers. We have them, too.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Get some invisible, UV-sensitive, dye and a UV black lamp from ebay (about £5 each). Paint the pens. Scan the husband's hands when pens go missing. And if you're feeling really mean, scan the husband's secretary for fingerprints too :D

I say, go for one of the flower-scented inks like the ones from J. Herbin that smell of violets or roses or lavender.

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.

--Carl Sagan