Sheaffer Peacock Blue

Nathaniel Harter

Hello fellow Ink and Pen lovers!

I was wanting to re-create Sheaffer's Peacock blue by mixing current inks. Has anyone already done this? I don't want to spend all the time and money making it, if someone already has.

Thank you for your time!

Nathaniel Harter
Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer
spmlogofpn.png

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ac12

• Chrissy

• Nathaniel Harter

What turquoises and what yellows do you already have?

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Just use Sheaffer Skrip turquoise.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Just use Sheaffer Skrip turquoise.

How close *is* the modern Skrip Turquoise? I got some vintage Peacock about a year ago in an antiques mall and it's just amazing. There's this sort of not-quite sheen going on (more like a darker edge to the writing line) that I've only seen in a few other inks, like Diamine Tyrian Purple.

Peacock is pretty amazing stuff (although it stained my hands for a couple of *days*....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hello fellow Ink and Pen lovers!

I was wanting to re-create Sheaffer's Peacock blue by mixing current inks. Has anyone already done this? I don't want to spend all the time and money making it, if someone already has.

Thank you for your time!

I have some of the washable peacock blue. Do you need a small sample for a control for your inky experiments? I'd be happy to send you 2ml if you pm your address.

How close *is* the modern Skrip Turquoise? I got some vintage Peacock about a year ago in an antiques mall and it's just amazing. There's this sort of not-quite sheen going on (more like a darker edge to the writing line) that I've only seen in a few other inks, like Diamine Tyrian Purple.

Peacock is pretty amazing stuff (although it stained my hands for a couple of *days*....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I have read reports by a few people who did an A/B test and said the current turquoise is virtually identical to the old peacock blue.

The caution I say it, that this will depend on your pen.

• I use Skrip turquoise in a Parker 45, and it comes out a nice turquoise.
  • But when used it in an Esterbrook, I get a darker teal, with shading.

Had I not done the comparison myself, I would have sworn that I was looking at 2 different inks, not the same ink.

I do not remember my peacock blue shading. But that was way back in grade school, and I used it in a Sheaffer School pen with a F nib, so I would not get shading in that pen. And peacock blue was definitely NOT a dark teal, like I get out of my Esterbrook with the turquoise.

I have not broken out my bottles of peacock blue...yet.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have some of the washable peacock blue. Do you need a small sample for a control for your inky experiments? I'd be happy to send you 2ml if you pm your address.

Its imposible to recreate the formula, but is a nice gift.

• 1 month later...

Just found two cartridges of "Peacock Blue" (!!!!) and it is more blue than the turquoise. I recognized it without reading the name so today I sent a note to Sheaffer begging them to please produce the the "holy grail" again. Wonder if a letter campaign would help?

Do you want to do a CRV? We send out pages with Sheaffer Peacock and others write back with whatever inks they think might work. I have some comparisons already.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2012-06-12_06_small.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/inks/blues-1.jpg

My bottle of Peacock was mixed with Green so my version was off. I would suggest using Visconti Turquoise.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_516s.jpg

Before I mixed my bottles here was my vintage, Green, Peacock and then Red.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/Skrip_Red_3.png

Here is Visconti on white paper. And another Turquoise or two.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1201.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/2014-Ink_1928.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/2014-Ink_2120.jpg

There are bottles of Sheaffer Peacock Blue for sale on ebay most of the time, but I also thought Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise was similar.

As it happens I have been testing quite a few turquoise inks recently. Sheaffer Peacock Blue was one of them.

If you wanted a turquoise that leaned more towards blue than green, then Parker Quink Turquoise short cartridges would be worth a try, and they are cheap enough.