Pelikan M400 Old Style ... ?

Xof72000

Hi all !

Am I right to think this is an old style Pelikan M400 Blue stripes ?

The pen is +/- 12,6 cm long, capped.

Thanks for your help !

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/P9070017_zps4sukmszq.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/P9070018_zpsw7gnlido.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i404/Xof72000/P9070019_zpsnwyu8pup.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starguard

• Bo Bo Olson

• sargetalon

• Xof72000

Definitely looks like an old style M400 body and cap. The original nib would have been a monotone 14C-585 gold so that has been swapped out somewhere along its life. Still a nice looking pen.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

• 3 weeks later...

Funny. I went to Rothemel because I didn't know that Prlikan made the m400 in blue. It's very pretty. I'm jealous. But while I was at the Rothemel site I saw the green whistles m400. The hunt is on...lol.

stez

Fountain Pens.

Senator 721 piston filler.

• 1 month later...

I just today got my first Pelikan, it's an old style 400, but I don't think the cap is original, if I'm reading the Rothemel site correctly. My cap says W. Germany and the logo on the top is white not green, and the fins run across the nib from wing to wing and are not parallel from the base of the pen to the tines on the nib, but the pictures for the old style nib match mine exactly. it's showing 14c-585 and B at the base. I bought the pen on e-Bay, and it does have a hairline crack on the cap, but it's so fine I had to use my loupe to see it, of course now that I know where it is I see it with out the loupe now.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

I just today got my first Pelikan, it's an old style 400, but I don't think the cap is original, if I'm reading the Rothemel site correctly. My cap says W. Germany and the logo on the top is white not green, and the fins run across the nib from wing to wing and are not parallel from the base of the pen to the tines on the nib, but the pictures for the old style nib match mine exactly. it's showing 14c-585 and B at the base. I bought the pen on e-Bay, and it does have a hairline crack on the cap, but it's so fine I had to use my loupe to see it, of course now that I know where it is I see it with out the loupe now.

Care to throw a pic or two up? Would love to see what you're describing.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

I may have had a change of heart about the cap, when I photographed it, it shows green, but white to my naked eye so I got out the loupe, and now I'm thinking that the green has faded.

post-121832-0-76383100-1446251673_thumb.jpgpost-121832-0-09580700-1446251691_thumb.jpgpost-121832-0-07719400-1446251707_thumb.jpgpost-121832-0-08006600-1446251864_thumb.jpgpost-121832-0-86671000-1446251895_thumb.jpg

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

I may have had a change of heart about the cap, when I photographed it, it shows green, but white to my naked eye so I got out the loupe, and now I'm thinking that the green has faded.

attachicon.gifIMG_0140.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0141.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0144.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0143.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0149.JPG

Only a Pelikaner could describe than nib as a "fine."

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Only a Pelikaner could describe than nib as a "fine."

Oh no, it's not a fine at all, it's a Broad, a nice bold broad! Writes very well too!

attachicon.gifIMG_0140.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0141.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0144.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0143.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0149.JPG

It is an old style pen but rather an M400 than a 400. The "W.-Germany" stamping probably dates it 1982-1990. Great pen and looks to be all original for an M400 from what I can tell. This pen marked the company's re-introduction of the vintage 400 with some small updates and served to launch the Souverän series.

Thank you Sargetalon! I know very little about Pelikans, but I do know I already like this one very much! I'll be doing a bit of remedial reading to do some catching up. :)

Thanks Benbot517! I started looking when I thought I didn't have the original cap, this one does have a very fine hairline crack, but I think it will be fine until I can find a different one that isn't cracked.

Thank you Sargetalon! I know very little about Pelikans, but I do know I already like this one very much! I'll be doing a bit of remedial reading to do some catching up. :)

Not to add to your worries, but the logo is misaligned with the clip. That would drive me crazy (I have been described as OCD on another thread), but there is a simple fix - Sargetalon pointed me to a very helpful how-to on his site. This may also help you if you decide to replace the cap (which should be fairly easy to find - again, Sargetalon is a good resource for pointing you to websites that regularly feature spare parts).

You may also choose to keep the cap with its "W. Germany" designation - which I like a lot. I was reminded of that historical era again in Spielberg's recent movie, "Bridge of Spies." There is a brief glimpse of a Pelikan sign in the background of one of the scenes!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Not to add to your worries, but the logo is misaligned with the clip. That would drive me crazy (I have been described as OCD on another thread), but there is a simple fix - Sargetalon pointed me to a very helpful how-to on his site. This may also help you if you decide to replace the cap (which should be fairly easy to find - again, Sargetalon is a good resource for pointing you to websites that regularly feature spare parts).

You may also choose to keep the cap with its "W. Germany" designation - which I like a lot. I was reminded of that historical era again in Spielberg's recent movie, "Bridge of Spies." There is a brief glimpse of a Pelikan sign in the background of one of the scenes!

I noticed that too, but I can live with it. I definitely like the W. Germany imprint on the cap, I remember cheering as the wall came down in 1989! I've already found at least two listings on ebay for replacement caps, so it shouldn't be long.

Oh no, it's not a fine at all, it's a Broad, a nice bold broad! Writes very well too!

I see now that I mistook the "B" for an "F"!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I see now that I mistook the "B" for an "F"!

Given the skill of the photographer, and the way the light hits the nib I could see that happening to anyone! No worries there. :)