Caran D'ache Rnx.316 - New Or Used?

Maxim

So I bit the bullet and ordered an RNX.316 PVD (black) fountain pen on eBay. It is listed as brand new. I have a couple of Ecridor ballpoint and Ecridor fountain pens, but no other nice Caran d'Ache pens.

After I paid, I scrutinised the images a bit more and became concerned that the pen might have been repackaged from the original box. The RNX seems to currently come in a black box, with a black RNX pamphlet and I don't know what else. A picture from the eBay auction is attached. I contacted the seller prior to shipping who said it came brand new, unused as old unsold stock from a store he has regular business with. Seller has 10000+ and excellent feedback.

I suppose I should just wait for the pen to arrive, hope it's fine and enjoy it, but if it is used or doesn't come with what it should in terms of literature or cartridges then I would be annoyed.

Any tips on what the packaging should look like or what, aside from ink in the pen, might indicate it's not brand new?

post-124880-0-69448400-1441591021_thumb.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maxim

• A1979

• jar

• catbert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Caran d'Ache Léman fountain pen and rollerball bought about five years apart. The first (around 2007) came in a red box with a white interior like the one pictured and the second had a dark grey box with a black interior. So the red box could be correct depending on the vintage of the pen.

Thanks!

I can remember an Ecridor ballpoint I purchased about five years ago coming in a red box, but thought that might have been a distinction between ballpoint and fountain. Here's hoping mine is pristine, but just old stock.

Pen arrived in a case with a booklet that had instructions about Varius, Ecridor and another model, but nothing about RNX. Cartridge converter looked new and empty, but there was some ink in the pen. have sent an email to the seller.

Seller keeps insisting the pen was never used, despite me pointing out there was ink in the feed.

I've filed a return request; I quite like the pen, would be happy to keep it and it's not damaged but feel annoyed that it was sold as new when it had been used and that the seller won't admit any fault or suggest a small discount as a sign of goodwill.

I know it's not standard fountain pen expertise, but anyone with an idea of what sort of discount should reasonably be offered in such a case? In short, difference between value of new, unused RNX.316 with original box, cartridges and papers with one that is 'newish' and probably re boxed with the papers of another Caran d'Ache pen?

• 2 weeks later...

Any tips on what the packaging should look like or what, aside from ink in the pen, might indicate it's not brand new?

I've recently (last 10 months) bought/received a couple of new CdA (Léman 2x, Ecridor): the nex box should indeed be black. The red one is the "old" version. The booklet should also be grey, not red. That being said, if you like the pen I would ask for a discount (as you did) and keep it. A 150 USD discount on the price you paid seems fair to me.

Pen arrived in a case with a booklet that had instructions about Varius, Ecridor and another model, but nothing about RNX. Cartridge converter looked new and empty, but there was some ink in the pen. have sent an email to the seller.

Caran d'Ache does test and write-in each pen before sales.

My Website

Thanks.

I was tempted to send it back completely, but that was partly because I didn't like the insistence it was new, had got over the initial buzz of trying it out and knew a new Montblanc M was coming my way anyhow.

Seller clarified that it had been a demo - which seems likely - and clearly hadn't included the original paperwork. I asked for a 20% discount on the sale price, which was already only 2/3 the RRP, so I'm happy enough. It's a really nice pen.

Thanks.

I was tempted to send it back completely, but that was partly because I didn't like the insistence it was new, had got over the initial buzz of trying it out and knew a new Montblanc M was coming my way anyhow.

Seller clarified that it had been a demo - which seems likely - and clearly hadn't included the original paperwork. I asked for a 20% discount on the sale price, which was already only 2/3 the RRP, so I'm happy enough. It's a really nice pen.

Thank you for the update.

Does the pen have the standard medium nib? How does it write?

I'm interested in this pen since a couple of years, but in the meantime I've bought others CdA... Will it be the next? ;)

Yes, I have a medium nib and it writes... well. In all honesty, I can't tell the difference between it and others, but it is steel like my Ecridors and writes as smoothly... which is to say very smoothly. I don't notice it any more smooth in my Montblanc M with a 14K tip. The RNX is a PVD coated nib to make it even smoother, but I don't notice any difference.

The pen looks good and feels nice and solid. Apart from the interesting mechanism for unscrewing the base to change cartidges or converter, it's a pen (yes, that's probably blasphemy here, but no matter). Unfortunately for mine, it's been overshadowed for now by the Montblanc M as my go-to.

No surprises if you own a CdA already - same high standards. If you've decided to get an RNX, I would recommend the black one (complete with price premium) but that's just on the aesthetics.

Yes, I have a medium nib and it writes... well. In all honesty, I can't tell the difference between it and others, but it is steel like my Ecridors and writes as smoothly... which is to say very smoothly. I don't notice it any more smooth in my Montblanc M with a 14K tip. The RNX is a PVD coated nib to make it even smoother, but I don't notice any difference.

The pen looks good and feels nice and solid. Apart from the interesting mechanism for unscrewing the base to change cartidges or converter, it's a pen (yes, that's probably blasphemy here, but no matter). Unfortunately for mine, it's been overshadowed for now by the Montblanc M as my go-to.

No surprises if you own a CdA already - same high standards. If you've decided to get an RNX, I would recommend the black one (complete with price premium) but that's just on the aesthetics.

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I agree with you about the black one: three years ago I bought the RNX Stainless Steel ballpoint, but I had to admit soon that the other version would have been a better choice (and I ended up giving the pen to my brother).