• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kugelschreiber

• fplover01

• adyf

• pen tom

wow, there seems to be a general consensus that the M1000 is something special. Could i dare to ask, if the pen is suitable for fairly long writing (like writing a diary or journaling, 3 A5 pages in a row for example)? I am concerned because it seems fatter than the 800 (which is just perfect in my hand, M800 size and weight is just made for my hand). and its behaviour with Pelikan blue black and an M or B nib?

Edited by fplover01

The diameter of the M800 is 13.1 mm, the M100 is 14.1 mm. An MB 149 at it's widest is 15.6 mm and a Jinhao 159 is 15.7. These are my measurements of the barell not the cap.

I have no problem writing long passages with the M1000 or any of the other pens mentioned above.

The big deal about the M1000 for me is the huge nib. I have a broad and it sticks out of the barrel by 26.2 mm! The nib has a softer feel than the M800

As with all things what appeals to me may not appeal to you. Both the M800 and 1000 are very, very, nice pens.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I tend to agree with OCArt. The primary difference from the M800 is in the nib, both with respect to its length and its springiness.

That being said, I can write with either pen all day long, and often do.

Why would you want a cure? I much prefer springy nibs and this is what led my to teh 1000 (even though an m800 better suits me in terms of size). I can only say, get more. Some of the Japanese soft nibs (only have experience with Pilot ) are on par at a fraction of the price (e.g C742 or CH912 SFM, SM)

I don't think anyone has commented on it yet, but do the M1000 owners posting here find the nibs on their big birds overly wet? Mine (an F) is quite wet, even by Pelikan standards or any standards. 'Fire hose' or 'paint brush' would not be far wrong for how mine writes. Another member here told me his is the same. I don't mind this and don't plan to have my nib worked on to lessen the flow; but it does put certain restraints on how I use the pen.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I don't think anyone has commented on it yet, but do the M1000 owners posting here find the nibs on their big birds overly wet? Mine (an F) is quite wet, even by Pelikan standards or any standards. 'Fire hose' or 'paint brush' would not be far wrong for how mine writes. Another member here told me his is the same. I don't mind this and don't plan to have my nib worked on to lessen the flow; but it does put certain restraints on how I use the pen.

Agree completely, therefore I have EF nibs on both my M1000's. Bought the second one with an F to try it but exchanged it within 28 days for an EF.

Edited by adyf

'Fire hose' or 'paint brush' would not be far wrong for how mine writes.

Agree completely, therefore I have EF nibs on both my M1000's. Bought the second one with an F to try it but exchanged it within 28 days for an EF.

Ditto. Mine is an EF and uses one of the driest ink in it - Pelikan 4001 blue black.

The M1000 and Pelikan 4001 blue black ink are made for each other.

Ditto. Mine is an EF and uses one of the driest ink in it - Pelikan 4001 blue black.

The M1000 and Pelikan 4001 blue black ink are made for each other.

That is what I have been waiting to hear. I dont have a problem with wet pens, but pelikan blue black is a dry ink. if the m1000 is so good with it, I will go for it once i have the money.

edit: what a thread, i have always thought that the 800 was the pen for me, but a pen made for pelikan blue black. that should be a love story too.

Edited by fplover01

I'm using Pelikan BB in my 1000 as well. I agree with RitchieMac above: the pen and ink are made for one another. Pelikan BB is a dry ink. My 1000 is still quite wet with it, but manageable. The color is a glorious dark blue.

~ George Orwell

I use my favorite ink, Diamine Majestic Blue in my M1000 with a F nib. It is a wet and very smooth writer. While wet, it is very manageable and certainly not a fire hose. It is a real pleasure to use and I can write with it for hours without any skipping, blobbing or other issues. Its an outstanding, well engineered pen.

cure?

I heard there is one:

http://www.sailorpen.com/king-of-pens.html

Unf one counter-indication - no piston-filler available at present, c/c only.

Yep, you could be right. Love my M1000, but have also just got a King of Pen, and have to say the nib on that plus the feel of the ebonite .... well, think that one earns its name. Would love to have been able to afford that orange urushi version in your link .....yum!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Yep, you could be right. Love my M1000, but have also just got a King of Pen, and have to say the nib on that plus the feel of the ebonite .... well, think that one earns its name. Would love to have been able to afford that orange urushi version in your link .....yum!

How soft is your KOP's nib compared to the nib on your M1000?

~ George Orwell

I too would like to know what the King-of-pen is like. I'm seeing it as a possible next step for myself

Hmm, haven't got the M1000 inked at the moment so can't do a direct comparison, but the KOP is a gorgeous nib, delicately soft and springy. Mine is an M nib, and it's a very wet writer with the Sailor ink that came with it. It just floats across the page, sooo smooth. But it's also the whole feel of the pen with the ebonite barrel - it scores over the M1000 on that front.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I too would like to know what the King-of-pen is like. I'm seeing it as a possible next step for myself

I don't think you'd be disappointed. If it was the only pen I had, I'd be very happy. And I love pens with interesting designs and colours usually.

I'm interested in these exchanges, because I've been thinking about acquiring a King of Pen for a long time. I love all my Pelikans, and the M1000 is special in its own right, but I also like my Sailors. KOP has been calling my name, however softly, for several years.

Hmm, haven't got the M1000 inked at the moment so can't do a direct comparison, but the KOP is a gorgeous nib, delicately soft and springy. Mine is an M nib, and it's a very wet writer with the Sailor ink that came with it. It just floats across the page, sooo smooth. But it's also the whole feel of the pen with the ebonite barrel - it scores over the M1000 on that front.

Thanks for the information.

~ George Orwell

Oh no! I never should have read this thread!

I have an M1000 on its way to me via a trade. If it is as good as everyone says, what does that mean for my M800 Tortoise and Stresemann, which I always thought were just about perfect?

http://www.fototime.com/%7B5585BCBA-250B-473F-B5B5-245C8E85C5F7%7D/origpict/DSCN8028.JPG