The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Twsbi Eco Flight Pressure Test. Will There Be Leakage....

twsbi eco flying leaking noodlers travel plane holiday vacation ef

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 R531

R531

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2015 - 22:10

So recently I went to Greece on Holiday. I wanted an fp with me, so I decided to experiment with my new Eco. I inked it full before the flight with Noodlers Black. The nib was kept up during climb to the cruise altitude of ~35,000ft(obviously the cabin pressure has a significantly lower 'altitude'). During the 4hr flight I used the pen in the cruise and saw no leakage in the cap or ink on the nib. After descent and landing into a hot climate (33C) I saw no troubles.

After my stay in Greece the pen had been used a fair bit and a good amount of ink had been used (1/3 ish). This is where I was hoping for some leaky fun on the plane. I decided I'd go all out; I'd be brave and go against my morals and my guy instinct. I went nib down. And, well, and. Nothing happened. No spontaneous combustion, no high energy explosion, not even any ink spillage.

The TWSBI Eco is a pretty good flyer, and didn't get air sickness and spill everywhere.

Edited by R531, 06 September 2015 - 22:13.

“Rome wasn’t built in a day, but then again I wasn’t on that particular job.”  - Brian Clough

Sponsored Content

#2 bongo47

bongo47

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:41

I've taken three flights with my Eco. On the first I kept it in a ziplock in my carry on, so probably laying flat but could have been any position. There was a bit of ink splattered on the nib and in the cap. The next one I risked it keeping it upright in my shirt pocket; Completely clean. The third flight I again had it bagged and packed, and no leaks. So from my testing, yes it can leak a bit, but not horribly and not often. Now I did not try and write with it while gaining altititude which I understand to be the riskiest moments. Also each flight, the ink was at somewhere around 1/2 or 2/3 full, so yes some air in the tank.

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

#3 fabri00

fabri00

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2015 - 18:41

It depend also from the pressurization of the airplane, not only from the pen.

#4 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,504 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:14

As I remember, commercial aircraft is pressurized to about the equivalent of 5,000 to 7,000 feet altitude.

This is from about 20 years ago, but I think it is still good.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 23-25, 2019 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi, eco, flying, leaking, noodlers, travel, plane, holiday, vacation, ef

Sponsored Content

|