Elderberry's Handmade Notebooks

elderberry

Good morning!

Here's some pictures of work I've done lately.

fpn_1472989596__09leinen.jpg

fpn_1472989606__09leinen2.jpg

Sturdy linen bookcloth with a CF inlay. Somehow makes me think of Greece. 18 x 14 cm with 130 g Arctic Ivory paper (about 100 pages). Bright blue Efalin endpapers. Full cloth case binding made for a nice change, also it's lots faster to make than the leather ones. No paring leather for instance but that's only one small piece of all the extra work that goes into the leather journals.

I'll definitely do some more books with this cloth, it has a certain rough hewn charme.

fpn_1472989867__09rotebru1.jpg

fpn_1472989886__09rotebru2.jpg

Cream colored Tomoe River with burgundy goatskin and Ebru paper. A slim book that holds almost 500 pages.

fpn_1473230084__09rotballons1.jpg

fpn_1473230095__09rotballons2.jpg

fpn_1473230104__09rotballons3.jpg

A dear friend ordered this one. I hadn't worked with the bright red goatskin in a while and it turned out to be a pleasure. Every hide is different. For this book I used Gmund Cotton paper. It's one of my favorites as I really like laid paper - see below.

fpn_1472990031__09gruenebru4.jpg

Last not least, one more TR journal with hand dyed goatskin and Carta Fiorentina, it just never gets old for me.

fpn_1472989090__09brauncf1.jpg

fpn_1472989414__09brauncf2.jpg

The latest books have some Ingres or Bugra endpapers. I really like the texture, especially in the darker shades like brick red or greyish blue. The colors are all rather subdued though so if I want something really bright, like for the "greece" book, I use Efalin.

fpn_1472989430__09brauncf3.jpg

fpn_1472989441__09brauncf4.jpg

A bone-folder made groove where paper and leather meet. It protects the edges of the paper and, as I feel, adds to a more finished look.

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• elderberry

• TMLee

• KKay

• Noihvo

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see some of your recent work, is it somewhere on the forums?

It is my conviction that a heavily used journal definitely needs reinforcement of some kind at the spine and corners. Leather, faux leather and cloth work fine, leather being the most sturdy but can also be the most annoying to work with.

New stuff is always great fun! I think I'll try dying book cloth next, I already got some acrylic paint. I should do more cloth binding in general and am also planning to but then I always seem to lean towards half leather.

I made some pretty boxes when I started bookbinding and I use them a lot as sturdy storage for all kinds of things but making them is not really my thing, it makes me feel I have too few hands! A sure sign of incompetence I think. :lol:

Lately I've made a journal with a french groove (as opposed to virtually no groove as in the books I've shown in the last posts). The point was to further improve mobility of the hinges. No groove means there's not a lot of room for the leather to move into as the covers open so there's always tension there. You can pare off the leather at these points but this means you take a lot of stability away from it, exactly at the most stressed area where it needs it most.

Maybe the french groove is the solution though I do like the smooth appearance. I molded the groove in the press with some carbon fiber rods so it looks pretty OK too. I'll show pictures soon!

As we say in German, the devil is in the detail. :lticaptd:

fpn_1475687815__img_2312.jpg

fpn_1475687873__pappas_tomoe_river_kompo

fpn_1475687893__frsta_halv-tyg_1_liten.j

fpn_1475687914__img_2312b.jpg

fpn_1475688192__img_2313.jpg

fpn_1475687998__img_2314.jpg

Edited by Noihvo

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

• 4 weeks later...

Noihvo, I really like your books, especially the one with the crane! Is it chiyogami paper? Those are really nice but so expensive.

I ordered my guillotine cutter from here http://www.paintersisters-neuss.de/epages/15485488.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15485488/Categories/mehr/Papierschneider, it's inexpensive - now even more so than when I bought it O.O - and really good so far. It weighs about 13 kgs. The knife has to be sharpened every so often but that's not much of an issue.

Within the last weeks I have allowed my books to accumulate so I could take some pictures of the whole bunch.

fpn_1477901572__10werkstatt2.jpg

fpn_1477901613__10werkstatt3.jpg

The cloth bindings are case bindings, essentially simple but it took me a few to get the hang of them because there is no groove between the backed spine and the board so the case must be a really good fit. I believe this fact makes them English case bindings?

fpn_1477901623__10werkstatt4.jpg

fpn_1477901639__10werkstatt5.jpg

Also I experimented with french grooves of different widths for the leather bindings but I'm not convinced, I think I'll rather keep paring the leather at the joints to get the hinges as flexible as can be.

At the moment I'm also working on a custom book for someone from FPN. Endband almost finished:

fpn_1477901994__10werkstatt1.jpg

Just stumbled across this thread. Truly impressive work. Thank you for sharing. :)

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

• 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled across this thread. Truly impressive work. Thank you for sharing. :)

Thank you for your kind words!

Did some more book cloth work lately. The insides are mostly Tomoe!

fpn_1478956778__11naturleinencf2.jpg

Also some slim TR notebooks with elastic closure.

fpn_1478956314__11wasser.jpg

No paper covers for those as they're supposed to be work horses mostly, so all the pretty is on the inside: delicate Japanese Yuzen endpapers.

Also stitched silk end bands because they're just too pretty not to have them.

fpn_1478956335__11wasser2.jpg

fpn_1478956398__11wasser4.jpg

Minimalistic debossed design and two tone book cloth shimmering in green and blue according to angle.

fpn_1478956509__11kreise3.jpg

The rubber bands are hidden in a deboss inside the back cover, so the covers are nice and smooth all around and no annoying bumps.

Wow this is one thread that is making me drool all over!! Wonderful use of all sorts of amazing paper and what marvelous bookbinding skills you have elderberry!! 😍😍

I'm definitely gonna want to order something from you in the future!!

Edited by ItwasLuck

Currently Inked = Pilot Custom 823 - 14Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Kakadu LE #100/100 - 18Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog LE #785/888 - 23Kt Pd "1.3mm Stub" Nib -- Pelikan 100N Transitional - 14Kt Gold 'OF' Nib -- Pelikan 400 - 14Kt Gold 'KF' Nib (All Inked with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black) -- Pelikan M200 West Germany - SS 'OBB' Nib

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful, detailed, precise work, Elderberry, and your photographs really communicate what you're doing.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much!

Did some more case bindings lately. I really like book cloth, it's so great to match and mix colors and patterns. Also did some more debossed designs like a Fleur de Lys themed book in two tone red-over-green cloth:

fpn_1480244804__11lys1.jpg

fpn_1480244824__11lys3.jpg

Also I started a small batch of full cloth bindings with debossed paper labels in various colors.

fpn_1479642647__11werkstatt4.jpg

fpn_1479642970__11werkstatt5.jpg

fpn_1485014120__01mint1.jpg

fpn_1485014137__01mint2.jpg

fpn_1485014243__01duobraun1.jpg

Besides looking pretty the debossing also protects the label from wear and tear.

Also got inspired by some Japanese Yuzen:

fpn_1485014438__01bubbles1.jpg

Blue and red is a classic when it comes to notebooks.

fpn_1485013802__01blaurot1.jpg

My personal favorite is the mint and wine, the colors just look amazing together in my opinion.

Additionally I'm making quite a few custom journals like the following ones. The customer wanted two full cloth bindings in murasaki colored, silky cloth and I managed to score just the right stuff. The purple is very deep and vibrant and still I yearned for a second color. I'm very pleased with the result though I'm sure they're not for everybody.

fpn_1485023433__01murasaki1.jpg

fpn_1485023482__01murasaki2.jpg

fpn_1485023638__01murasaki3.jpg

Maybe I'll make another one of those for myself. I also made cloth hinged endpapers for one of them.

fpn_1485023726__01murasaki4.jpg

Edited by elderberry

• 5 months later...

Good morning everyone,

Time to show some new books I've made. As it was a busy spring for me getting married and everything there wasn't as much leisure time as I would have wished but it was still enough for a few bookbinding projects.

fpn_1500005098__02fuchs1.jpg

Made this cute journal for a fellow fountain pen enthusiast and nature lover. Cover paper by Bomo Art, 240 sheets of Tomoe River inside.

fpn_1500005156__02fuchs2.jpg

fpn_1489221566__03bicycles1.jpg

Another Tomoe River journal. I purchased the paper with the cyclists in a little shop, sadly it's gone now, I really like it, especially the colors.

fpn_1489221666__03bicycles2.jpg

I did some full cloth bound books too, these are always nice to make. I like debossed designs or vintage labels for the front cover. I also got a range of elastic closures in different colors to match the colors of the book, it's really fun to mix and match.

fpn_1498987662__serious1.jpg

This one is made with a rather thick book cloth. It has a heavy duty, rugged feel to it and the tissue thin Tomoe River inside makes for a nice contrast.

fpn_1498987733__serious2.jpg

I think I may have worked out the perfect way to make the elastic closures work, they now rest between back cover and end paper. The band rests in an indentation so there are no bumps and is covered by an extra layer of book cloth so there is no strain on the endpaper. The end result looks like this:

fpn_1498987755__serious4.jpg

fpn_1498987744__serious3.jpg

The cloth bound books also have the hand sewn silk endbands, I just don't want anything else anymore, love the look and the versatility in color. Plain black endpapers for the overall "serious business" look.

fpn_1498987436__scarab1.jpg

This is another one of my beloved two tone book cloths in green and a greyish purple. I decided to match it with a green and grey endband and elastic closure.

fpn_1498987626__scarab2.jpg

That color truly is something.

fpn_1498987643__scarab3.jpg

Having lots of fun! Tomoe River stocks are almost depleted but as I've ordered more almost two months ago it should arrive soon.

You have achieved perfection in no time. I am in awe in front of such beauty.

I very much like you colour choices, and some of the papers are really original.

Congratulations!

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Thank you so much!

For the endbands I use buttonhole silk thread. You could also use artificial fiber but silk is nicer, less slippery and not all that expensive. Just make sure to grab the (thicker) buttonhole silk thread and not the regular sewing thread as that one is so think it's a little challenging to work with.

edit: Oh, you were asking for the core - for that I use a strip of a leather-paper laminate I've made. (Essentially it's a piece of leather glued to a sheet of paper and then cut into stripes) That way it's strong but pliable.

Edited by elderberry

Congratulations on your marriage! I love my book with the ivory marbled cover. What do you call the horizontal ridges at intervals on the leather spine?

The next book I order will have some (mmmmm....)

I came across Elderberry's work via the classified section of this site, and I just stumbled across this forum now.

Oh what beautiful work!! let me know how I could order more journals in the future, definately I will be looking for a cloth-bound and a goatskin in red.

Regards,

Liston

• 2 weeks later...

Elderberry, I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread and was impressed by your work at the beginning, let alone now! It is beyond inspiring.

And you've solved something I have wondered about in the past, as someone who has handspun yarn for many years, so many spinners and weavers I know, sidestep on and off into bookbinding - which I always found curious, wondering what the two have in common. But seeing now how threads are used in bookbinding... I finally get it!