Fountain Pen Kickstarter: Nova Minimal Fp

MrThoth

Can't buy one... Just don't like the fact that they've pretty blatantly ripped off the Nakaya and then had the audacity to talk about originality.

At lease Jinhao is downright whimsical about their copying by picking a clever enough name for other people's designs.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• Jamerelbe

• tenney

• Cyber6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am surprised people are ripping on Namisu from using a design that a number of modern pen makers take from Nakaya. Edison, Newton and Scriptorium all have similar designs.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

OK, correction...

I'm disappointed that they have the offer to use a design offered by several manufacturers, which most closely resembles a Nakaya in both material and form, while talking about originality. Point still stands.

I am surprised people are ripping on Namisu from using a design that a number of modern pen makers take from Nakaya. Edison, Newton and Scriptorium all have similar designs.

That's exactly the line Namisu came back to me with. :huh:

OK, correction...

I'm disappointed that they have the offer to use a design offered by several manufacturers, which most closely resembles a Nakaya in both material and form, while talking about originality. Point still stands.

Yep.

Their defence to me was that "Some similarity is inevitable".

Oh well.

Still looking forward to it though :blush:

I don't feel like the campaign spends much time talking about being original. They mention "unique" a time or two, but they mostly focus on selling it as an aesthetic they like in durable materials.

Now that winter's around the corner the thought of picking up a cold metal pen doesn't seem too appealing to me at the moment... I might otherwise have been tempted.

That's exactly the line Namisu came back to me with. :huh:

Yep.

Their defence to me was that "Some similarity is inevitable".

Oh well.

Still looking forward to it though :blush:

Interesting. I guess if its not appealing to someone because its like so much else it is a valid judgment. I will say, and I have no affiliation, that I got an Orion through Massdrop and I like the feel of it very much. For what its worth, it feels much different than Urushi or ebonite or acrylic. I personally like the shape so I comfortable with an imitation.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

• 4 months later...

Anyone's arrived yet? Pictures???

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Anyone's arrived yet? Pictures???

Mine has landed in Frankfurt and might arrive at my door tomorrow...

Did y'all get shipping notification or are you just trusting that some have been shipped out? I haven't seen anything recent from the Namisu team

They were supposed to be sending a few hundred out at the end of January, and the rest in mid February. My Backerkit account says my address is still "unlocked" (ie can still be edited) - which means I wasn't one of the lucky few!

On the website it says pens ordered before January 31 should be sent out by February 3 .... I haven't had any other notification.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

On the website it says pens ordered before January 31 should be sent out by February 3 .... I haven't had any other notification.

Their latest update said that due to problems with the supply of packaging, their shipping date for most of their customers (all but a luck few hundred) would be delayed till 15 Feb. There *should* therefore be an update in the next week or two, to confirm that the rest of the pens are shipping (unless they're delayed again!).

Just found a comment on the latest update page, saying the replacement packaging has arrived, and all pens should be shipped by Feb 18...

Ah, many thanks, I'll stop fretting for another couple of weeks then!

Do they use an inner cap, or is the seal achieved with close tolerances alone?

No inner cap. I don't know about the tolerances they enforce, but I have two nexus (black aluminium and titanium) and one Orion (aluminium) and none of them had any drying problem.

This Nova design is different though, and the cap much bigger, so I don't know.

I got my Namisu Nova a week ago. It is the Polished Titanium version with the Titanium EF nib. As nobody did a review right now, I will post here some first impressions (please be gentle as it is my first review here!):

- First of all, it looks great!
- Second, this pen is heavy.
- Third, this pen is fat.

So let me put it in the standard review scheme:

Appearance & Design (10/10) – As stated above it looks great. It is quite thick and has no clip (which I don´t miss), but as it misses any kind of stoppper it could easily roll from the desk. As has been discussed much before, it surely has (at least something of) a beautiful Nakaya design. And I love the look of the polished titanium surface.

Construction & Quality (9/10) – The all titanium body is very sturdy. The production quality is very high, it is entirely (including the grip section) made from solid titanium with very tight tolerances. But it tends a little to unscrew. The polished titanium might lie a little slippery in your hand, but not very much(it is not as slippery as polished chrome e.g.). The cap cannot be posted - well, theoretically it could be posted, but then it gets overweight on the backside, and the pen is even more heavier...

Weight & Dimensions (8/10) – The Nova is heavy, at least in the titanium version (which weighs over 50 % more than the aluminum version!). The weight (uncapped) is 32 g (vs. 20 g in the aluminum version). And it is fat: The maximum diameter is about 15 mm, the grip section is around 12 mm wide. The length is 138 mm closed and 128 mm uncapped (all measures only by ruler). Although it is fat, it doesn´t lie too bad in my (large enough) hand. Not the form is the problem, but due to the weight and the slippery surface I cannot give full points here.

Nib & Performance (9/10) – It has a standard Bock 250 nib, in my case in titanium EF (Extra Fine). The titanium nib is much more expensive than the steel nib, but cheaper than a gold nib, and is more flexible than steel. Although it´s called EF, it is not too fine. I really like the soft way (but not flex!) it writes, although it makes more scratchy noise than a steel nib.

Filling System & Maintenance (10/10) – The Nova takes european standard cartridges or converters. Nothing more to talk about.

Cost & Value (6/10) – This luxury version costed me more than 100 Euros. I´d say that is too much for this pen. But you can get distinctly cheaper versions - starting from 40 Euros for the aluminum version with steel nib or 70 Euros with titanium nib! Maybe these versions would lie better in your hand due to a less slippery surface (the anodized aluminum surface on my Namisu Orion is great) and remarkably less weight. So the reduced points here are only for the expensive titanium version!

Conclusion (8/10) – The Namisu Nova is a piece of design which you might find highly attractive - at least I do so. But it´s not an everyday writer.

I got my Namisu Nova a week ago. It is the Polished Titanium version with the Titanium EF nib. As nobody did a review right now, I will post here some first impressions (please be gentle as it is my first review here!):

- First of all, it looks great!

- Second, this pen is heavy.

- Third, this pen is fat.

So let me put it in the standard review scheme:

Appearance & Design (10/10) – As stated above it looks great. It is quite thick and has no clip (which I don´t miss), but as it misses any kind of stoppper it could easily roll from the desk. As has been discussed much before, it surely has (at least something of) a beautiful Nakaya design. And I love the look of the polished titanium surface.

Construction & Quality (9/10) – The all titanium body is very sturdy. The production quality is very high, it is entirely (including the grip section) made from solid titanium with very tight tolerances. But it tends a little to unscrew. The polished titanium might lie a little slippery in your hand, but not very much(it is not as slippery as polished chrome e.g.). The cap cannot be posted - well, theoretically it could be posted, but then it gets overweight on the backside, and the pen is even more heavier...

Weight & Dimensions (8/10) – The Nova is heavy, at least in the titanium version (which weighs over 50 % more than the aluminum version!). The weight (uncapped) is 32 g (vs. 20 g in the aluminum version). And it is fat: The maximum diameter is about 15 mm, the grip section is around 12 mm wide. The length is 138 mm closed and 128 mm uncapped (all measures only by ruler). Although it is fat, it doesn´t lie too bad in my (large enough) hand. Not the form is the problem, but due to the weight and the slippery surface I cannot give full points here.

Nib & Performance (9/10) – It has a standard Bock 250 nib, in my case in titanium EF (Extra Fine). The titanium nib is much more expensive than the steel nib, but cheaper than a gold nib, and is more flexible than steel. Although it´s called EF, it is not too fine. I really like the soft way (but not flex!) it writes, although it makes more scratchy noise than a steel nib.

Filling System & Maintenance (10/10) – The Nova takes european standard cartridges or converters. Nothing more to talk about.

Cost & Value (6/10) – This luxury version costed me more than 100 Euros. I´d say that is too much for this pen. But you can get distinctly cheaper versions - starting from 40 Euros for the aluminum version with steel nib or 70 Euros with titanium nib! Maybe these versions would lie better in your hand due to a less slippery surface (the anodized aluminum surface on my Namisu Orion is great) and remarkably less weight. So the reduced points here are only for the expensive titanium version!

Conclusion (8/10) – The Namisu Nova is a piece of design which you might find highly attractive - at least I do so. But it´s not an everyday writer.

First post and it was a review. Congratulations and thank you.

Those of us who ordered are understandably excited about their arrival, your review certainly adds to that excitement.

:)