Fountain Pen Kickstarter: Nova Minimal Fp

MrThoth

As usual, I have no association with this project; I'm just passing along the information. This project is by the same person who did the Nexus FP on Kickstarter last year.

Nova Minimal Fountain Pen

Personally I think this one's a little too minimal for me, but I may warm to it -- and of course YMMV. ;)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• Jamerelbe

• tenney

• Cyber6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have veeeery mixed feelings about this project: the Nexus pen (their previous Kickstarter) was a really great pen, when it finally arrived - but they had so much trouble bringing the project to completion, and their communication throughout the process was appallingly bad. Maybe they've learned from the previous experience - I certainly hope so! - but at this point in time I'd be very hesitant to go there again with these guys

Either way, having bought in on their previous campaign, this one's not different *enough* for me to want to buy in (even though it looks like a really nice pen in its own right).

All that said, I wish them well - and hope they're better positioned to make the Kickstarter campaign a great success.

I do like the minimalist design... But honestly, this one has nothing new.. I've seen the same design, maybe not in titanium with titanium nib...

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

So many "ordinary" pens on KS. I'm hoping that someday someone will do a piston mechanism...

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Thanks for the notice.

I'm in for the "early-backer" special--plan to go for the matte black.

(The more minimal, the better.)

So many "ordinary" pens on KS. I'm hoping that someday someone will do a piston mechanism...

I'd rather have someone do something cool and artistic -- but obviously that's a quantum leap harder than the pens we've seen on KS so far. Still, hopefully we can work up to that. :)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

It should be easier nowadays to make a piston filler since Schmidt have a complete mechanism including nibs available so they don't have to design and make the individual components themselves. Unfortunately, doing that would probably lead to a less interesting design than if they did do it themselves.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Done. Thank you MrThoth.

Aluminium body & Titanium nib ordered :)

Immediately reminded me of the Nakaya Urisshi - Cigar Piccolo in shape and I've been wanting to try a Titanium nib for ages.

The ends are clearly a rip-off of those Nespresso pods.

Really? I was thinking the whole thing is a Nakaya rip off. But for ~$80 for a aluminium pen with a Ti nib, I'm not complaining.

Or it looks like a Nakaya Ti pen with a Ti Nib for a bit more... No urushi, but neither on the Nakaya Ti pen either.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

I've been disappointed with the fountain pens offered on Kickstarter so far. Kickstarter is supposed to be about innovation, but this is a C/C pen that is almost identical to Nakaya's designs. One day I hope someone will offer an innovative filling systems or design that I can throw my support behind.

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

Sorry, double post.

Edited by thesunshine

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

I like the Nakaya-like design.

Only thing holding me back is the fear of a nib dry-out because the whole section-cap seal is metal on metal and likely not airtight.

I've backed pens made out of aluminiums and brass before, and they are barely usable with rollerball/gel refills as the inks dries every couple of days of being idle.

Anyone with the Nexus pen can chime in here?

I like the Nakaya-like design.

Only thing holding me back is the fear of a nib dry-out because the whole section-cap seal is metal on metal and likely not airtight.

I've backed pens made out of aluminiums and brass before, and they are barely usable with rollerball/gel refills as the inks dries every couple of days of being idle.

Anyone with the Nexus pen can chime in here?

I've had no problems with nib dry-out in my Nexus - it seems to have a pretty airtight seal on the cap.

One of these days I'll be pleasantly surprised by a wildly baroque Kickstarter fountain pen. The minimalist shtick is starting to wear a little thin.

Attention designers! Minimalist does not necessarily have to mean dead simple to manufacture, if your enthusiasm for minimalism goes beyond convenience.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I'm waiting for all the people that drop the pen on the floor and bash the nib because there's no clip or roll-stop.It may not happen as much with experience pen users (who have invested in a Nakaya), but newer users aren't often thinking about such things, and a lot of them will end up taking notes in school and... rolling off of desks.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

A little too minimal for me...

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

I've had no problems with nib dry-out in my Nexus - it seems to have a pretty airtight seal on the cap.

Do they use an inner cap, or is the seal achieved with close tolerances alone?

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review