Sf Show Ink Testing Station!

travberg

Wow, I am not an ink person, but even my stick people looked good in some of the different inks.

When I heard there were going to be something like 500 inks to test, I figured Ricky and Loren were going to create a 55 gallon drum of blue black mess after the first day. I really was wrong.

The ink testing stations were amazing. The planning and execution was fabulous!

WELL DONE TO ALL THOSE WHO WORKED SO HARD TO MAKE IT A SUCCESS.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• pen2paper

• travberg

• Tasmith

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw so many pictures on instagram, and I have to say that I was pretty jealous to those who got to try out so many inks! What a great idea and fabulous execution.

It was a heck of a lot of fun, and really helpful! To be able to write with, even on my own ink notebooks, with inks I've only read about was a great boon (and believe me, folks, I don't use the term boon lightly!). It's funny: sometimes it looked like a futuristic board game competition. Here's a quick shot looking down the tables:

http://i.imgur.com/IiYu3MA.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

are there instagram shots of the written ink samples?

Hmmm, there are various photos of people playing, nothing organized.

So you have an idea how this worked: the SF Pen Posse are the people who organized the Ink Testing Stations (I'll call it ITS). The call went out to friends far and wide: we want the most inks in one place to play with. So everybody went through their inventories, checked an online spreadsheet that had been made up (I believe that was over 1200 entries of known inks, past and present), and people submitted sample vials.

They finally decided to make a cut-off point at 500. A bulk purchase of the Dollar 717i pens (I think that was it) was made directly from Pakistan; these are school-type clear piston-fill fountain pens. That whacky Pen Posse met on successive weekends to collate, catalog, gather the inks, print labels for the pens and then eventually fill them.

Each of the 5 stations had 100 pens. A list was made, alphabetically first by maker, then by ink name. These were printed on placards, placed on each table. Here is a pic I took that gives a rough idea:

http://i.imgur.com/czI7VPK.jpg

So, at each table (station), you looked at a list with 100 inks on it, numbered to match the pen; the pen also had the name of the ink and number on a label as well; note that there were no swatches of inks to look at, just a list of the brands and names. There were ample supplies of various papers to use, though many people had their own journals, etc, to log their samples. While the pens all sported a nib that was probably about a Western f/m, you certainly could get a good example of how the ink behaved on paper (multiple nibs would have been impossible). The bonus was that these were clear 'demonstrators', so you could see the ink in the barrel.

The actual rigs were ingenious, and AFAIK were the brainchild of AltecGreen (Ricky Chau). Beautiful to look at, they found that the clip on each pen cap could be unscrewed. The cap was inverted, placed in the holder, and a matching screw secured it from underneath. The pen was then placed in the cap, nib down, and screwed into place. Yeah, there were times when people came up and attempted to just pull the pens out, but eventually it became clear that they all screwed securely into place.

No one really knew how well, if at all, this would work. It turned out to work remarkably well! Lots and lots of people got to try inks, many of which you couldn't find anywhere (there were a few sad people when they realized some of these were unobtainum inks), but on balance, the opportunity to sample something like Montblanc Racing Green, Sheaffer Persian Rose, and many others, in addition to the hundreds of currently available inks, meant that the tables were routinely filled with eager inkers. Here is a quick pic of ethernautrix filling page after page in her lovely, calibrated hand:

http://i.imgur.com/JLeEkwe.jpg

I have to stand in awe of my friends from the SF Pen Posse who put this all together. Many people gave very generously from their personal ink collections, and in addition to Ricky's work, I also have to single out Loren Smith, who worked tirelessly in gathering all the samples, working the spreadsheets, printing labels, keeping this entire thing on track. I wasn't physically there during all this (I live in San Diego), and I don't mean to slight anyone's contribution - many, many people made this happen, and all the materials and time and ink was donated, and this was not a project done on the cheap. A team effort of stellar people.

A rather singular and remarkable pen show event, certainly a first. It won't be the last - come next year!

http://i.imgur.com/TPZ2iVl.jpg

(Photo: Franz Dimson)

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I would be in awe too. What an interesting feature to add to a show already known to be creative. Admirable teamwork.

Instagram was mentioned, so wondered if anyone thought to shoot photos of their sample writings? I would have overlooked this in the excitement of unobtanuiums > such as: Persian Rose that I personally recall using. (many moons before I landed in little old lady land ; )

I would be in awe too. What an interesting feature to add to a show already known to be creative. Admirable teamwork.

Instagram was mentioned, so wondered if anyone thought to shoot photos of their sample writings? I would have overlooked this in the excitement of unobtanuiums > such as: Persian Rose that I personally recall using. (many moons before I landed in little old lady land ; )

To be honest, I've only created an Instagram account *since* the show, mainly to follow some stuff. I don't know it well enough to know if I can suggest a user that you could follow, but I'll ask around. Franz, whom I credited in the last photo, has had quite a few things, but as to your specific request, I'm not sure. I don't think I saw people doing really dedicated stuff, with swatches and what not, but I didn't hang around that much. I do know there were some fun photos of someone who had left numerous sketches of cats in various colors. If I find it I'll post it.

~ Benjamin Franklin