Cross Star Wars Pens

Vicary

Looks like Cross has entered a marketing agreement with Disney, the product of which is a set of limited edition Cross Townsends in different patterns that recall Star Wars characters. I think I'll need to see them in person, but the C3PO fountain pen might have to join my collection.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3050641/high-end-design-meets-pop-culture-with-cross-incredibly-swank-star-wars-pens

There's a link to an online pop up store that is selling the pens, but I also got an email from Fahrney's that they'll be stocking them. Looks like each design is available as a fountain or rollerball...

-Doug

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrThoth

• Russ

• mivox

• Valkyrii

Top Posters In This Topic

Goldspot says it'll have them on sale tomorrow (Friday, the 4th).

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

• 2 weeks later...

They look juvenile to me.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Agreed, whoever at Cross thinks of this stuff needs a career change. Look back at some of their designs like the 150th Anniversary line, some of the Century lines like Jewelers, the Cobalt Blue, Cinnabar Red, Townsends like the Lapis, Signature....well you get my point.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks -- I really like a lot of those designs you mention. But it's fine with me if other people don't; less competition when I'm bidding on a rarity. ;)

MrThoth

I think the particular design of these pens is juvenile, and at that price point I would expect to see something more professional before spending so much. Then again, the topic suggests to something that should be less costly, like the Waterman Lara Croft Kultur pens. I might spend $50 on something cutesy and kitschy, but for $450 I would want a classy pen like a Meisterstuck, not some commemorative of a popular motion picture.

The others, the Cinnabar, the Lapis, etc., I think they are fine.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Does anyone remember the wild Philip Benz auctions a few years ago? I can imagine a listing like theirs ten years from now: "For sale is a Super Rare, MINT, Dukes of Hazzard Limited Edition Cross Townsend Pen in 24k gold trims! This one-of-a-kind pen is never-inked, and was kept safely in a PRISTINE special velvet sleeve in the vault of the PHILIP BENZ collection! This pen commands top dollar! I am selling it for the estate of the PHILLIP BENZ COLLECTION for only $749USD shipping worldwide!"

:lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

Lack of gravitas? Juvenile? It's a pen, not a cremation urn...

I just think they're absurdly expensive. But if I were in a different tax bracket, I'd totally buy one. (Truth be told, I'd be cool with my ashes being put in an R2D2 cremation urn too, so maybe I suffer from an unforgivable lack of gravitas myself... lol)

Where is the R2D2 pen? C3P0 is not the droid I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, they are well out of my price range.

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.

--Carl Sagan

How about a series of Sonic Screwdriver pens?

I took my Colibri Ascari (in rose gold and black) to a science fiction convention last March. A friend, seeing the top of it peeking out of my pocket, immediately asked, "You got a sonic screwdriver fountain pen? Where??!?" Sadly I had to dispel the illusion.

MrThoth

A sonic screwdriver pen would be beyond great. I'd save up for that. Especially if the filling mechanism somehow involved the 'tip' of the screwdriver articulating!

But I'm with e-beth... I'd rather see an R2-D2 Townsend, and they're out of my price range. At least until/unless they show up on ebay for cheap, sold by people who don't know what they're selling... lol

I think they have made an error on this one. I'm not really much of a fan of Cross pens in general; I find them a bit plain so my thoughts will be effected by this bias. These pens are a bit of fun and linked to a movie that there will undoubtedly be a heck of a lot of hype about. The issue I have is not that they might look juvenile, or that they look a little underwhelming, but that cost so darned much. If they had produced these in a limited run for the time of the film's release at around €60-80 a pop then this would have been a no brainer for me. I probably would have indulged in a C3PO one for the laugh, as I suspect would have many, many others. As it is, the lacklustre designs and the ridiculous price has sort of killed it. It seems like a very poor and basic business error; price yourself out of the market with an underwhelming product you would have otherwise have made an absolute killing on.

If they had produced these in a limited run for the time of the film's release at around €60-80 a pop then this would have been a no brainer for me. I probably would have indulged in a C3PO one for the laugh, as I suspect would have many, many others.

+1 Actually, I'd probably have gotten one for my husband for Christmas to use at work (he's an astrophysicist and a bigger geek than me). But, yes, I think many, many Star Wars fans would have gone gaga for them if they had been less expensive. As it is, they will simply stare at them longingly and wish they were independently wealthy.

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.

--Carl Sagan

• 2 weeks later...

Imagine President "Trump" signing the next bill in the White House with a tray of Darth Vader Townsends.