Quest To Replace Parker Penman Mocha

amberleadavis

I've loaded up my brown inks and am about to sit down to write my CRV. I don't know why I get so nervous when I do this--I guess it's because I'm putting my writing out in public. I'm using some of these pens for the first time.

At least I didn't spill anything. Yet.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Tas

• Cyber6

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've loaded up my brown inks and am about to sit down to write my CRV. I don't know why I get so nervous when I do this--I guess it's because I'm putting my writing out in public. I'm using some of these pens for the first time.

At least I didn't spill anything. Yet.

You have very nice handwriting when you're not doing the doc scribble. ;)

I get nervous, too - I think because mine seem so plain compared to the artistic efforts of others.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

You have very nice handwriting when you're not doing the doc scribble. ;)

I get nervous, too - I think because mine seem so plain compared to the artistic efforts of others.

The CRV is done and in the mail to Amber.

I have received my CRVs for the Parker Penman Mocha and the Hakase Real Sepia. It's going to take me a little bit of time to cycle through my brown inks. But I'll get there. Still thinking about whether I should exclude some inks that I know won't wash reddish, that might otherwise seem close. I might include a line or two as a reference.

Edit: I just ordered some additional brown inks, a few are bottles and some are samples. In checking reviews of the Akkerman Bekakt Haags, where some thought it was the same as Diamine Chocolate Brown, this wasn't so. But all the reviews seem to show the ABH as having a reddish undertone when smeared wet.

And it's amazing how varied the images are of the inks on vendor sites. Sometimes the swabs and writing samples from a sample and a bottle of the same ink differ. You'd think they were different

Of the many brown inks that I have already, nearly all seem based on red or are too yellow. Sailor Ishida Bungu IAI135 School Brown seems the coolest, and closest to the PPM, when comparing my review sheet and the CRV.

Edited by white_lotus

As you will see when my CRV gets scanned, I have the IAI135 loaded into my new MB 1266 OBB. I can't describe how wonderful this ink feels and looks with this nib!

Currently working my way through the latest brown inks, to get a feel about their color and handling, before writing too much on the actual CRV. I'll rotate through a number of pens as well maximizing my efficiency. Hopefully I'll get through all the inks by the end of the month. So far have done F-C Brown, Diamine Chocolate Brown. I'll also produce reviews of these if I haven't done so already.

My guess is that most of these will be reddish-browns, while PPM is not. And that the dye from which PPM was made is no longer in production. Most ink manufacturers seem to be using very similar dyes. Not surprising given that the number of actual producers of dye chemicals is fairly small, and those companies are often quite large. They won't make a dye product if there isn't much need for it.

So the ink will tell the tale.

Edited by white_lotus

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/album/Ink/PPM/2015-11-15-20-46-25.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my CRV. I've sent the original to Ms. Amberlea, so she may want to scan it and upload, as I'm sure she can capture the color better. I'm also including my droplet on wet paper towel image with PPM from a cartridge to show the color mix.

The Sailor Ishida Bungu IAI135 "School Brown" and Sailor Bungbox Espresso were closest to the undiluted PPM ink. The latter ink when wiped while wet/damp is brown, not red, an encouraging sign. I don't know what vintage writing with PPM looks like. But when I added some water to fill the carts I have, the resulting ink was a good deal lighter. So I don't know if I added too much water, but I'm not even sure I really filled the cart.

As is typical with my iPhone, the photo shows the inks as darker than they are in reality. The little PPM notes in the lower left corner are my writings with my watered down PPM.

fpn_1448410642__img_3891.jpg

A closeup of the circles and squares.

fpn_1448410709__img_3892.jpg

And now for the ink droplets. Yellow, black, red-violet, blue-violet, some red.

fpn_1448410842__img_3852.jpg

An angled closeup.

fpn_1448410896__img_3853.jpg

Thank you, White Lotus!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

JM and WhiteLotus, I think you are right School Brown is a nice replacement, of course, isn't it just as hard to find these days?

Did you all try BB eel?

Writing sample?

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Inks: Left side first and down page: Bung Box Kabamaki Eel, Californo Aurora, J Herbin Lie de The.

Right side top (then down) Kingdom Note Aix galeiculata, Kingdom Note Amanita muscaria, Bung Box Piano Mahogany, Stipula Sepia.

On white Tome River. Bottom orange note was Ilium.