Quest To Replace Parker Penman Mocha

amberleadavis

Edit: 10/17/15

Okay, we are going to really make this a contest. The rules are handwritten starting in Post 26. You can see the typed rules here.

You can see what Tas has tried so far, and not been happy with, but we can help him.

So, we have drafted TEAM LEADERS.

Team Leaders will each receive a never before opened cartridge of Parker Penman Mocha.

Team Leaders will write, scan and send at least 5 CRVs to Testers.

Team Leaders can also submit their own tests in addition to the 5 CRVs.

Special gift to the most prolific TL and another gift to the TL whose Tester wins.

TESTERS

Write a note here that you have a brown you want to try. One of the TLs will PM you to request your name and address. DO NOT POST YOUR ADDRESS HERE.

You will receive a sheet of paper as described in Post 30, and a sample is in Post 31.

Once you have finished, scan it and upload and then send it to me. If you don't have a scanner, just send it to me. (PM me for my address when you are done.)

The Tester who has the winning ink will get a special prize.

Other Rules

No using inks which are no longer available or impossible to find. (Grand Canyon, this means you).

If you have a bottle of PPM, or your own cartridges, you can participate both as a Team Leader and a Tester. If you really want to be TL, PM me and we'll see if we still have cartridges.

THANKS FOR PLAYING.

Original Post

My good buddy, Tas, has long lamented the passing of Parker Penman Mocha. Tas has asked us if we could do our best to find him a solid replacement.

If you have a brown you like, share it here. We would love to see it. Also, let me know if you are interested in receiving a sheet with PPM writing. If so, shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send a CRV sheet to you. Just write on it with your brown ink and mail it back to me.

Thanks for playing!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Tas

• Cyber6

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have no browns..... otherwise I would be in. At least I don't think I have any. I HAD a sample of Monteverde Brown which is real nice. But if I have a dip I would be lucky. Have to pass.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I am a fan of warm colors, but most browns ("true" medium browns) are not my favorites for writing. Red-, orange-, or gold-browns are more to my liking. I have a few images to share.

I have others, more in the burnt sienna range (which I prefer), or the amber range, but this gets us started?

post-113310-0-69078600-1441203467_thumb.jpg

post-113310-0-01185700-1441203505_thumb.jpg

post-113310-0-26139800-1441203522_thumb.jpg

post-113310-0-73463800-1441203548_thumb.jpg

post-113310-0-61649300-1441203563_thumb.jpeg

post-113310-0-65883600-1441203579_thumb.jpeg

Hello everyone. I'm pretty sure there's nothing out there to match it but here's my journey . . .

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_mocha_swatch.jpg http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_deep_dark_brown_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_sailor_doyou_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_rk_sepia_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_macassar_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_sailor_maruzen_athena_sepia_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_cacao_de_brazil_swatch.jpg
I'm happy with Deep Dark Brown as a substitute but look forward to new finds . . .
Thank you Amber for setting this up. :) :) :)

Okay I'll bite. I have a few browns to try against it.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Mixes ok too?

Absolutely!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Mixes ok too?

I tried and tried and gave up. Nothing would sheen that greeny green and go down brown.

Can't wait to see yours. :) :)

(Hoping my pallette knife arrives tomorrow)

These may not be the correct colors but will hopefully give you an idea if ratios...

fpn_1441237787__2015-09-02_184604.jpg

fpn_1441237874__2015-09-02_184518.jpg

fpn_1441237925__2015-09-02_184428.jpg

May have to sit this one out... don't have yellow or orange inks :/

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I'm not crazy about brown inks. What is it about PPM that you especially look for, Tas? The green sheen? I noticed some green sheen (not prominent) in Sailor Bizenyaki Antique. But I'm not sure how the colour compares with PPM.

Brown inks in my collection:

Akkerman #22 Hopjesbruin
J. Herbin Lie de thé
Noodler’s Ink Golden Brown
Pilot Iroshizuku Ina-ho
Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-guri
Rohrer & Klingner Sepia
Sailor Brown
Sailor (Shikisai) Doyou
Sailor (STORiA) Lion Light Brown
Sailor Bung Box Nostalgia
Sailor Pen & Message Cigar
Sailor Usagiya Bizenyaki Antique

Mixes ok too?

Ooo yes LuMA. I've tried and tried but failed. Can't get anything with that greeny sheen going on yet sill go down lovely and brown. :unsure:

These may not be the correct colors but will hopefully give you an idea if ratios...

Brilliant idea as a starting point but I've vowed not to get drawn into another "My Mocha" mixing session. :angry:

It's not my best swatch but I suppose the middle shape best displays its colour. The vase was drawn from a wet pen and too saturated & the soon to be no more swab was a little dry as I didn't squeeze enough ink onto the cotton bud.

I'm not crazy about brown inks. What is it about PPM that you especially look for, Tas? The green sheen? I noticed some green sheen (not prominent) in Sailor Bizenyaki Antique. But I'm not sure how the colour compares with PPM.

Brown inks in my collection:

Akkerman #22 Hopjesbruin

J. Herbin Lie de thé

Noodler’s Ink Golden Brown

Pilot Iroshizuku Ina-ho

Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-guri

Rohrer & Klingner Sepia

Sailor Brown

Sailor (Shikisai) Doyou

Sailor (STORiA) Lion Light Brown

Sailor Bung Box Nostalgia

Sailor Pen & Message Cigar

Sailor Usagiya Bizenyaki Antique

Lgsoltek, I'm not sure what it is. Part of it's charm I suppose was that it was the ink in my dad's Parker 45 when he gave it to me - and I've always tried to keep a cartridge of it in there (although Doyou currently resides). I loved it's saturation and lack of red when washed over which sadly so many browns I've tried reveal.

Like I said I've settled for Cult Pens Deep Dark Brown but look forward to any new findings . . . :)

Edited by Tas

Ooo yes LuMA. I've tried and tried but failed. Can't get anything with that greeny sheen going on yet sill go down lovely and brown. :unsure:

Brilliant idea as a starting point but I've vowed not to get drawn into another "My Mocha" mixing session. :angry:

It's not my best swatch but I suppose the middle shape best displays its colour. The vase was drawn from a wet pen and too saturated & the soon to be no more swab was a little dry as I didn't squeeze enough ink onto the cotton bud.

Lgsoltek, I'm not sure what it is. Part of it's charm I suppose was that it was the ink in my dad's Parker 45 when he gave it to me - and I've always tried to keep a cartridge of it in there (although Doyou currently resides). I loved it's saturation and lack of red when washed over which sadly so many browns I've tried reveal.

Like I said I've settled for Cult Pens Deep Dark Brown but look forward to any new findings . . . :)

I'm no fan of red brown either. Red brown inks have the same effect on me as light turquoise does to Visvamitra :D. I'm gonna PM Amber for a CRV sheet.

WOW.

Tas, I admit, for a brown ink, I really liked #43.

I have a SERIOUS amount of Browns.... below are the closest to Parker Penman Mocha

fpn_1441316424__brown01.jpg

with Flash...

fpn_1441316567__brown02.jpg

You don't say . . . :yikes:

WOW.

Tas, I admit, for a brown ink, I really liked #43.

Great minds. No43 looks divine . . . :wub:

Now KWZI, if I go ahead and order Grey Plum and No 43 from you next month we're not going to have all that mixed up numbering palaver like we had during the "testing" are we?

(I much prefer names. Grey Plum is Grey Plum :) )

You don't say . . . :yikes:

Great minds. No43 looks divine . . . :wub:

Now KWZI, if I go ahead and order Grey Plum and No 43 from you next month we're not going to have all that mixed up numbering palaver like we had during the "testing" are we?

(I much prefer names. Grey Plum is Grey Plum :) )

KWZI #43 is Dark Brown... I just happen to like number. Don't mind me.. :rolleyes:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,