Is Pelikan As Good As It is Meant To Be?

RSVP

yup.. and I pay it off every month. Therefore my purchases on credit card have to be in keeping with my income in the same way a cash purchase is.

Why don't you stop wasting money on unimportant things and just spend it on pens? Like food and clothes, you can cut those out.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• Titivillus

• RSVP

• inkyfingers

Top Posters In This Topic

yup.. and I pay it off every month.

:bunny1: :bunny1: Way to stay disciplined . . . . fight off that temptation! :bunny1: :bunny1:

I'm being serious - more people should follow your example. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words.

I had to learn through my first marriage. I was discplined then, too. But my first husband was not. When we divorced I got half the debt and had to work hard as a single mom to pay it off.

Also, we've been blessed with consistent work, no major legal issues, and both hubby and I are frugal in all other respects. my health has the potential to get us in trouble at some point - but that's true for all humans. Meanwhile... faith and perseverence that we'll stay well for many years to come.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Why don't you stop wasting money on unimportant things and just spend it on pens? Like food and clothes, you can cut those out.

heh... yeah, those pesky bills.

I know you're joking but I'm reminded of a comment my ex made (shortly before he became my ex.)

"If I don't pay the mortgage this month, I can afford to buy this rifle I saw at the pawn shop..."

:blink: :blink:

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Guest Denis Richard
I know you're joking but I'm reminded of a comment my ex made (shortly before he became my ex.)

"If I don't pay the mortgage this month, I can afford to buy this rifle I saw at the pawn shop..."

Geezz... that one was a keeper :lol: Did he do stand-up comedy ? :D

Geezz... that one was a keeper :lol: Did he do stand-up comedy ? :D

Yes, that is partly why he's my ex

It is a line we use around here a lot when we're having light-hearted discussions about finances. So I credit the ex with giving me something to laugh about probably for the rest of my life.

now to go back on topic.

If I don't pay my electricity this month, I can afford that Piazza Navona

:rolleyes:

(edited because I didn't go exactly back on topic.)

Edited by KCat

KCat

I recently got a Tortie but I haven't inked it up yet. But wait! There's a reason for that - because I also got a Piaza Navona at the same time and I have slowly become dizzyingly enamored of it. At first I thought it looked cheap and bland, but the more I gaze into the texture of the barrel it just draws me in...deeper...deeper. It's simply beautiful in the subtlest fashion.

Like KCat, I'm going to pretend that I'm not reading this, because that's the Pelikan I'm lusting after, and can't afford at the moment.

*fingers in ears* lalalalalalalala

Pelikans are my favorite current production pens, right next to Sailor from Japan. I have an M-800, Stockholm, and an M-200. The former of the three is absolutely the smothest pen I have in collection. That being said, the Stockholm has a tendancy to be a dry starter and the M-200 likes to skip badly after writing for a few minutes.

What I plan on doing is sending both the M-200 and the Stockholm to Richard Binder, and let him work his magic on them. I currently have two pens at his repair shop and I hear he specializes in Pelikan nibs, so this is the natural place to send them. However, he has quite a backup right now, so I will have to part with them for a while, but its well worth it.

Ah, if I could only hit the lottery for a couple of million dollars, what I couldn't do at a pen store! :D :D :D

Edited by Mannenhitsu

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

This is a really stupid thread - and I mean stupid:angry:

I have two Pelikans in fine nibs - a black 800 and a blue striped 800.  Both pens write magnificently!  The nibs are smooth, contrary to what some people claim, and reliability excellent.

But what I could say about Mont Blancs is not suitable for display on a forum that might be read by minors.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

So drop this idiotic thread.

Mark,

Every pen maker has it's fans and it's detractors and Pelikan is no different in that regard.

As far as quality goes, I think Pelikan does a very good job of maintaining high levels of quality throughout their product range but like everyone else, things occasionally do go wrong.

I am not the world's biggest MB fan but any quibbles I have with their product or company could be expressed succintly using family friendly language.

Finally, I don't see this thread as being stupid or idiotic but it does seem to have rubbed you the wrong way.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Ah, if I could only hit the lottery for a couple of million dollars, what I couldn't do at a pen store! 

If you were to hit for a million, you might as well go into the business. At least you then buy at wholesale! :P

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Guest Denis Richard
Ah, if I could only hit the lottery for a couple of million dollars, what I couldn't do at a pen store! :D :D :D

Aaahh... a couple of millions does not buy what it used to... :lol:

Guest Denis Richard

The only Pelikan I had was a 150, which was too small for me, but was definitely a good pen.

Now, I have to admit that the Pelikan designs don't turn me on. I joked once saying that you know that Pelikan is a German brand because they think changing the colour of a pen makes it a fancy Limited Edition :P (Apologies to all my European compatriots from Germany ^_^)

That said, even though it looks stern as Death itself, I definitely want to try the 215. I think the new Caelum is cute too, even though not $2000 cute.

Denis.

Hi,

My Pelikan M200 seems quite good. I do not have round tipping on my fine nib. It has a very smooth piston, and the nib is quite smooth with a hint of flex although it is made of steel. (I do not see the flex part when I am normall writing though)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

This is a really stupid thread - and I mean stupid:angry:

I have two Pelikans in fine nibs - a black 800 and a blue striped 800.  Both pens write magnificently!  The nibs are smooth, contrary to what some people claim, and reliability excellent.

But what I could say about Mont Blancs is not suitable for display on a forum that might be read by minors.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

So drop this idiotic thread.

Mark,

Every pen maker has it's fans and it's detractors and Pelikan is no different in that regard.

As far as quality goes, I think Pelikan does a very good job of maintaining high levels of quality throughout their product range but like everyone else, things occasionally do go wrong.

I am not the world's biggest MB fan but any quibbles I have with their product or company could be expressed succintly using family friendly language.

Finally, I don't see this thread as being stupid or idiotic but it does seem to have rubbed you the wrong way.

There are two ways you can talk about a particular pen or company. You can either build it up by talking about the positive results or try to tear it down by talking about the negative opinions. Some people would equate this to taking the high or low road in a discussion between a postive discussion or not.

I think it's great that this thread has shown that here on FPN unless there is 'damming evidence' that people will take the high road and speak of their positive results with a pen company, Pelikan in particular in this case. But when there is evidence will also share which helps everyone! :D

This is not an idiotic thread because it has shown that there are more Pelikan lovers out there than detractors answering the initial question that Pelikan is as good as it's meant to be.

Kurt H

Edited by Tytyvyllus

Hi,

My Pelikan M200 seems quite good. I do not have round tipping on my fine nib. It has a very smooth piston, and the nib is quite smooth with a hint of flex although it is made of steel. (I do not see the flex part when I am normall writing though)

Dillon

Hey Dillon.

I've found the EF and F 200 nibs to be rather springy. I have always thought that was interesting given that people speak of gold as being more flexible/springy. I'm sure it *is* and that it's just a matter of the design by Pelikan of their steel nibs. I think it's probably more apparent on a pre-97 nib (but I don't necessarily mean vintage.)

just a curious thing about Pel nibs. :)

KCat

I don't know if that was the intent of the originator but that seems to be the final direction of the thread. 

Kurt H

Please don’t try to implicate that I started a “negative” thread deliberately with the above comment.

I evidently did not do this, asking the question “Are Pelikans really as good as they’re meant to be?” whilst also highlighting the positive aspectsof the pens in the original posting.

I don't feel this can be fairly called "mudslinging".

J B)

I don't know if that was the intent of the originator but that seems to be the final direction of the thread.  

Kurt H

Please don’t try to implicate that I started a “negative” thread deliberately with the above comment.

I evidently did not do this, asking the question “Are Pelikans really as good as they’re meant to be?” whilst also highlighting the positive aspectsof the pens in the original posting.

J B)

Hi James,

It seems only one person thought it was or could be, so maybe we should just leave it at that.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Kurt H

J B)

James,

I have editied my post to take out the offending language. I was trying to be general but I might have misunderstood the specific.

Kurt H

Edited by Tytyvyllus

Hi Kurt,

I hope you realize I didn't mean you.

Warm regards, Wim

Edited by wimg

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi Kurt,

I hope you realize I didn't mean you.

Warm regards, Wim

Actually because of the placement of posts in the thread- no. But then again this isn't the first time I've misinterpreted a post

kurt h :lol: :lol: :lol: :( <_< :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by Tytyvyllus