The Thrill Of Purchase And The Bitter Pill Of Disappointment

luigilevin

Absolutely. But I think that is what makes this 'hobby' (correct me if I am wrong) more interesting. You go through multiple pens that you trial and error with and finally find a handful that are really right for you. At the same time, your collection 'matures' into your personal impression of perfection, of course, at the cost of your financial loss.

Exactly. It took me many years to find exactly what I want. My collection was all over the place, and now very focused.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rwilsonedn

• penrivers

• Fabienne

• luigilevin

Buying and restoring vintage pens seems just to multiply the post-purchase dissonance or consonance. Either the pen itself, once received, exceeds expectations or fails them - but by a wider margin than something bought new.

But so many of the "losers" come back so strong after restoration and worm their way into my heart and my collection that I'm almost always looking forward to the big unwrapping.

What really doesn't help is my geographic location. We have no brick and mortar pen store as such in NZ (well there is a MB 'boutique' in Auckland- still 2hrs by plane from where I live!). There is no way to see anything in real life before purchasing. The only option for me is to buy and to see what its like.

addendum: That is why FPN is sooo important for us living in the countryside :)

What really doesn't help is my geographic location. We have no brick and mortar pen store as such in NZ (well there is a MB 'boutique' in Auckland- still 2hrs by plane from where I live!). There is no way to see anything in real life before purchasing. The only option for me is to buy and to see what its like.

I've not tried it, but I would think the joys of living so far from big cities in such a beautiful part of the world would far outweigh the disadvantages.

ron

You should buy from restorers in USA, Pendemonium, Isellpens, Peytonsteeet etc. no loss and it works on the contrary, the pen is better than the photo.

All the times I buy online, I know that is a RISK transaction. 100% risk... Facing a risk transaction, you have two options:

1. Assume all risks

or

2. Don`t buy

Some transactions, made me sad, but the vast majority, made me SO HAPPY!!! Final balance: I`m so very happy with online transactions...

Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!!!

That's the same for me, here in Brazil.

• 2 weeks later...

Experience helps, actually handling pens helps, doing some research helps. Looking at pen reviews here on FPN helps, looking at the reference articles on Richard's Pens helps, anything you can do to gain more information before you make that purchase helps. Yes, I know, you find a pen on eBay and there is only 30 minutes before the auction ends and it is a fantastic pen and you have to make that decision. Ask yourself if you really need the pen, if the seller has a good reputation, if the photos are descriptive or seem to be hiding some flaw. I've purchased a good many pens on FPN and been happy with the purchases, each classified post has a place to ask questions...so ask. Find out the reputable non eBay dealers.

Being surprised that the pen you purchased was smaller than you thought probably means you didn't do your research. For me learning about the pens I want to purchase is part of the hunt and part of the joy of fountain pen collecting.

You should buy from restorers in USA, Pendemonium, Isellpens, Peytonsteeet etc. no loss and it works on the contrary, the pen is better than the photo.

I didn't know that Isellpens was a restorer. I thought they were a new pen seller.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I didn't know that Isellpens was a restorer. I thought they were a new pen seller.

Todd , he necessarily has to be. He sell used and vintage.

All the times I buy online, I know that is a RISK transaction. 100% risk... Facing a risk transaction, you have two options:

1. Assume all risks

or

2. Don`t buy

Some transactions, made me sad, but the vast majority, made me SO HAPPY!!! Final balance: I`m so very happy with online transactions...

So, I guess that it is not 100% risk. A little research and careful reading, and your odds are better.

I have had few issues with online purchases, even ebay. I've had bigger issues with purchases from the classifieds.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.