Impressions Of The San Francisco 2015 Pen Show

piblondin

When I go to a Brewer's game, I MUST see the Klement's Racing Sausages (Bratwurst gets my cheer). At a Kenosha Kingfish game Elvis better be ziplining into the stadium and the toilet racing better be tight or I'm going home disappointed. It appears I AM the core audience trying to which they are trying to appeal. The actual Baseball component of a big league game has gone downhill since Ty Cobb retired. Go to a high school or college game if you want to see actual Baseball.

I have to drive to Chicago for a pen show. I dislike driving in Chicago. And Chicago charges me to do it, talk about insult to injury...

Brian

Brian save money don't use the toll [ more money for pens ] I drive on the other ILL roads and I always allow 2 - 3 minutes per mile to my final destination. The closer to downtown Chicago add a minute per mile.

Ken

P.S. I just love what they are doing with the Zoo interchange area... I'm staying away from that until 2019.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• piblondin

• JonSzanto

• ac12

• dms525

Fantastic news, David!... +++

...We'll see how this develops, but there are a lot of people interested in developing a new generation of fountain pen users.

why I humbly barged in cross-country

ooh, :huh: the Chicago mention brings it graphically home. prefer (any Day) to venture into SF than Chi-town's Dan Ryan = childhood nightmares!

edited speeling err

Edited by pen2paper

Fantastic news, David!

I might have mentioned that the urge to continually improve the show, year-to-year, had brokered conversations even before the end of the show. Sunday morning I was hanging with Lisa and Wendi of Vanness, and Lisa mentioned the impromptu gatherings of young and new pen people at the Atlanta show. She said that in the evening, people would gather at tables and share pens and inks, veterans helping n00bs with concepts and techniques, etc. Ricky and others joined in the conversation, and there is already discussion of an area during the show that would be staffed with volunteers with an assortment of pens and paraphernalia, to demonstrate things, answer questions, and maybe even help errant pens back to good health. I suggested the "San Francisco Play Pen" or something suitably casual. We'll see how this develops, but there are a lot of people interested in developing a new generation of fountain pen users.

I like that idea.

I had pre-arranged time with three less-experienced pen fanciers from Fresno while at the show. We talked pen makers, nib types, the travails of left-handed fountain pen users, and a lot more. I was able to share some pens I had brought which they had never seen or never used, a Dolcevita with a "Fusion" nib, for example. This may be recorded as the inaugural meeting of the Central California Pen Posse. We're working on it. It was a good example of how "In the Land of the Blind, the one-eyed man is king." 'Cause I surely don't regard myself as an "expert" in fountain pens.

I'm not sure of the best way to build that kind of interaction into the show on a more planful basis. I think a fair amount already happens informally. The objective is terrific. The optimal procedure may need to be discovered. As for the name, how about "Pen Posse Play Pen," just to up the alliterative attraction.

David

Edited by dms525

Well played, David - I like that moniker. I know the Posse itself is having their first post-show meeting this weekend to debrief, and there is a lot of time to gather feedback and make for an even better show next year. I'm mainly happy that so many of the new vendors are thrilled with the outcome and will return next year.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I would also like to put in a vote for the current location.

I thought the resources for the show were adequate. The service was excellent. The hotel rooms are very nice, although I wished for a bigger mini-fridge, so I could keep some fresh fruit cold. The room rate for the show was less than half of what I am accustomed to paying in a nice hotel in San Francisco. The hotel restaurant is quite good. It isn't a top Bay Area cookery, but the local standards are pretty astronomical. And the Peninsula has numerous really good restaurants with a tremendous diversity of ethnicities within a 15-20 minute drive (except at rush hour and when there are accidents).

For those of us driving in from outside the Bay Area, getting to and navigating Redwood City and other Peninsula towns is way easier than downtown San Fran.

So, I like the show location. And I say that as a lifelong lover of the city I grew up always calling "The City."

David

+1 for the current location......

Think it works very well for the show.....

Also was OK with the other location used about 4 years ago, the San Mateo Marriott on the other side of the freeway....

While there is not much going on immediately around the hotel, there is a lot to commercial activity and restaurants on the other side of the freeway....

downtown San Mateo, San Carlos, Burlingame, Redwood City to name a few.....

Would not be excited about actually going into SF for the show.....

Sorry to say, but it's a real pain going there and parking nowadays and when you get there it can be very unpleasant in many areas.....I'll spare you the details.....

I go there once in a while for business reasons, so, know what I'm talking about......Too bad, SF could be a nice place.....

But I digress.....back to the pen show...

Was there on Friday around 11:30am....it was clear that many vendors had either just setup or still in progress and a few (including one who emailed me the morning of the show saying "See you at the show"...) were not even there yet.

There were other visitors besides me, but not crowded at all. So, the room had a nice relaxed atmosphere to it. Vendors there were easy to speak with I found as I made the rounds....

The OP is correct in that the most vendors at tables had a larger percentage of vintage pens than modern pens and not many modern pen manufacturers represented in the room.

However, the room felt pretty full overall and there was lots to see. Unfortunately, I squeezed in a relatively short visit in between meetings at work. So, was only there for 2 hours...but they were very productive hours as I got several pens ground by ol' Mike M and test drove Syd's fabulous new oversize Wahl Eversharp Decoband pens. As I figured I would, I put down a deposit on one.....the rosewood ebonite with the wild red urushi feed and the nice huge #8 flex nib......now the hard part, waiting for it......

Wish I could have spent another hour or two at the show.......maybe next year.......hopefully, in the same hotel or vicinity.....

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Was there on Friday around 11:30am....it was clear that many vendors had either just setup or still in progress and a few (including one who emailed me the morning of the show saying "See you at the show"...) were not even there yet.

There were other visitors besides me, but not crowded at all. So, the room had a nice relaxed atmosphere to it. Vendors there were easy to speak with I found as I made the rounds....

Oh, man, I had a hunch this would happen: I was working the reg desk at that point, and I am pretty sure we chatted for a moment, not knowing each other (because your badge didn't say ArchiMark, dammit! :) ). Anyway, glad you could make it for the window of time. It is still a bit odd for me, new to the pen world - the vendor days *are* more sedate, but wanting the show to do well, I kept wondering "Is this it?".

On Saturday, though, there was an increase in the number of vendors with modern pens, and about 3-4-fold the number of people coming into the show. It really was packed at times.

Look, next year we need to meet. Or in LA, if you make it down. :) I am jealous of your Decoband, but being there in person with them convinced me the pen is too big for me. It STILL remains a remarkable achievement, and a continued glow around Syd's revival of the brand. That nib just kills.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I like the venue. Easy to get to. Parking was cheap. Not going to find that in San Francisco.

The ink sampling was awesome. Helped me decide what inks I wanted to get.

Would love to see more vendors there grinding nibs.

Francis

My grandson spent the first 4 years of his life living in San Francisco. Before he moved to Portland, he was starting to learn to read. As a San Francisco native, at that point, naturally, the first words he read were "No Parking." Nuff said.

David

Oh, man, I had a hunch this would happen: I was working the reg desk at that point, and I am pretty sure we chatted for a moment, not knowing each other (because your badge didn't say ArchiMark, dammit! :) ). Anyway, glad you could make it for the window of time. It is still a bit odd for me, new to the pen world - the vendor days *are* more sedate, but wanting the show to do well, I kept wondering "Is this it?".

Oh well......you're right, it's too bad.....would have enjoyed chatting with you......but I was assisted with entry ticket by the asian lady sitting there.....

On Saturday, though, there was an increase in the number of vendors with modern pens, and about 3-4-fold the number of people coming into the show. It really was packed at times.

Makes sense......and while I'd enjoy seeing the other vendors there, it's nice to feel like you have the show all to yourself on Friday....

Look, next year we need to meet. Or in LA, if you make it down. :) I am jealous of your Decoband, but being there in person with them convinced me the pen is too big for me. It STILL remains a remarkable achievement, and a continued glow around Syd's revival of the brand. That nib just kills.

Will keep any eye out for you next year at the SF show....will be probably be on early Friday if I go.....doubt I'll be able to get to LA show....

And yes, you're right, the Decoband is a pretty big bat.....

but felt comfortable in the hand, was so, so gorgeous, and that luscious nib.......

and wild red urushi feed.......

:)

Mark

I like the venue. Easy to get to. Parking was cheap. Not going to find that in San Francisco.

The ink sampling was awesome. Helped me decide what inks I wanted to get.

Would love to see more vendors there grinding nibs.

Francis

Yes, very easy.....about 10 minutes from where I work...... :)

The ink sampling was mind boggling and almost scary to look at......was afraid I'd get sucked down the ink sample rabbit hole and never leave the show.... ;)

My grandson spent the first 4 years of his life living in San Francisco. Before he moved to Portland, he was starting to learn to read. As a San Francisco native, at that point, naturally, the first words he read were "No Parking." Nuff said.

David

Smart kid!....

;)

Something pen shows are really good for (Pen Posses as well):

- when the right pen is there that you knew you had to have, and then when you "see it with your hands" you realize you really aren't all that in love with it...

Can't do that on line...

Something I've thought much about recently is how incredibly difficult it is for one human to communicate perception to another human...

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

Something pen shows are really good for (Pen Posses as well):

- when the right pen is there that you knew you had to have, and then when you "see it with your hands" you realize you really aren't all that in love with it...

Can't do that on line...

Something I've thought much about recently is how incredibly difficult it is for one human to communicate perception to another human...

This.

The closest I've come, for any type of describing some characteristics to another person is when I can say "are you familiar with X, and have you noticed that it does Y, well it's like that except for a,b,c". You know, going for common experiences, except even with this everyone is sensitive to and notices different things.

Pen posse and pen shows are outstanding for this.

So . . . assuming it's not too early to ask . . . have the dates for the 2016 San Francisco Pen Show been picked yet?

Yes. It is the same weekend (last in August) so I believe Fri-Sun, 8/26-28, 2016.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Yes. It is the same weekend (last in August) so I believe Fri-Sun, 8/26-28, 2016.

correct

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I noticed less enthusiasm and photos on IG from this show than from the DC pen show. Is it because it followed a better one? I have never attended any of these and I am looking forward to one closer to me but unless in need to see something I cannot get on the internet for a better price, I don't see why i should go attend one yet. It has to come to me. OK, I am older, so I don't travel well anymore, there has to be a good reason to go now.

The DC Pen Show is huge compared to SF. DC and LA are, I believe the two largest in the country. If you're looking for that experience, perhaps the LA show will be of interest to you. My interests are more vintage, so there is more to see and people to learn from. That being said, I did buy my second Franklin Christoph at the show for the same price as on their website - but, it was a one off prototype, I got to try all of their nibs and settled on their new Fine Italic, which I do not see online, and got to handle the pens in person. I had an 03 Iterum in mind, but after discussing it with the rep, and trying it, decided on a second 02 Intrinsic instead.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/carrieh/l.png

I was at this year's show all Friday (evening activities excluded, unfortunately) and briefly Saturday morning. Excellent venue, and a very well run event.

I am not involved in show management, of this show or of any other. As a long-time pen show participant and observer, however, I have long been interested in how shows are structured and how they have evolved.

To the OP, I would like to point out that pen shows, as they now exist, are very much molded by their audience. Show promoters who have strayed too far have seen their shows decline and even fail. Harsh experience has demonstrated that downtown shows in expensive cities simply aren't viable. The costs are too high, far too high to be offset by compensating benefits that in actual practice have turned out to be largely illusory.

Note, too, that one cannot reasonably expect a show to be both posh and offer a wide range of goods at bargain prices. Those fancy facilities have to be paid for; vendors have to pass along increased overhead costs. Nor do the big pen and stationery companies have any interest whatsoever in sponsoring shows that give smaller rivals a place on the stage, and that undercut their local bricks-and-mortar dealers.

The notion that bringing in the general public is the key to a successful show has been a longstanding delusion. It's not enough to locate a show where there's lots of disposable income: there also has to be a basic level of interest. Time and experience has shown that serious interest is the defining characteristic of the audience that makes a show work -- an interest that puts pens and writing foremost, far ahead of all other considerations.

I was at this year's show all Friday (evening activities excluded, unfortunately) and briefly Saturday morning. Excellent venue, and a very well run event.

I am not involved in show management, of this show or of any other. As a long-time pen show participant and observer, however, I have long been interested in how shows are structured and how they have evolved.

To the OP, I would like to point out that pen shows, as they now exist, are very much molded by their audience. Show promoters who have strayed too far have seen their shows decline and even fail. Harsh experience has demonstrated that downtown shows in expensive cities simply aren't viable. The costs are too high, far too high to be offset by compensating benefits that in actual practice have turned out to be largely illusory.

Note, too, that one cannot reasonably expect a show to be both posh and offer a wide range of goods at bargain prices. Those fancy facilities have to be paid for; vendors have to pass along increased overhead costs. Nor do the big pen and stationery companies have any interest whatsoever in sponsoring shows that give smaller rivals a place on the stage, and that undercut their local bricks-and-mortar dealers.

The notion that bringing in the general public is the key to a successful show has been a longstanding delusion. It's not enough to locate a show where there's lots of disposable income: there also has to be a basic level of interest. Time and experience has shown that serious interest is the defining characteristic of the audience that makes a show work -- an interest that puts pens and writing foremost, far ahead of all other considerations.

Really great advice and I must thank you as I frequently find myself in the position of recommending show/seminar locations. It's great that the pen show locations have a great enthusiast's base following them.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I should add that my observations are based upon the USA pen scene.

Lessons can be drawn from pen shows in other countries, but there are significant differences that have to be taken into account. Nearly all European shows, for example, are one-day events. In many cases they are held in venues other than hotels, and in general the vintage component dominates, with little to no presence of ink and stationery.