Let's Rename The Diamine Shimmering Ink Line

Fabienne

There has been some complaint about the uninspired names put on the highly inspired inks which Diamine has created for their Shimmertastic line. Let us come together and make up new names for them.

Make up a new name for the whole series and each of the 10 inks. You can come back later and suggest a new one or a better one, too.

Here are my partial suggestions:

Shimmertastics------>The Sybarites*

1. Shimmering Sands----->Alchemy
  2. Brandy Dazzle---->Too Much Wine
  3. Magical Forest---->Too Much Money
  4. Blue Lightening--->The Panties of Venus
  5. Sparkling Shadows--->Fireworks in Your Mind

That is all the time I have to waste for now, but I will be back to fritter away more precious moments and I hope you will put your creative minds to work can come up with even more provocative and evocative idea.

*A tribe in Ancient Greece which was famous for only liking the finest of everything.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

• Charles Rice

• thudthwacker

I'll have to look at the scans of the inks again to come with individual names. But for the line? How about "Diamine Fireworks"?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

"Diamine Coruscant Series". (Disney may or may not come a-yelling, but "coruscant" was a word long before it was the capital planet of the Old Republic. And, as I don't expect Diamine is actually going to change the name, this is not a thing to worry overmuch about.)

I think a few of the ink names are fine -- I have no problem with "Blue Lightning" or "Golden Sands", for example. "Brandy Dazzle" has to go, but I have no great inspiration for a better name. "Copper Sunset"? Meh. "Purple Pizzazz" could be "Shattered Amethyst", maybe. That's not exactly poetry, either, but you don't have to aim too high to beat "Purple Pizzazz". I would prefer "Starlit Sea" to "Shimmering Seas", if only because "Shimmertatstic Shimmering Seas" is an evil thing to do to such a nice ink.

Honestly, I feel a little bad giving Diamine -- or, more accurately, the folks at Diamine who came up with the names -- a hard time. I don't know if they were under the gun when they were trying to get these names settled, and I know that I'm not at my best when there's someone breathing down my neck. Also, maybe it is an attempt to attract a younger crowd to the joys of fountain pen use, in which case unabashedly whimsical names might hit precisely where they're aiming on the demographics chart. And, as with the other way I tend to spend my spare time and money -- tabletop role-playing games -- if you want the hobby to continue, you're going to need a way to gain the interest of young people.

Oh dear. I'm pretty sure, at the ripe old age of 36, that I'm really not to be counted in this younger crowd of which you speak, but I absolutely love the names..! I do have a nostalgic love for old-style My Little Pony though (yes, just when you thought I couldn't get any more infantile), and some of the names are so close to the classic pony names that I thought it must be intentional by the Diamine people! So...maybe the key demographic for the inks is made up of nostalgic 30-something women..?

"My Little Pony: The Inks"

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Glitter Series.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

While I can't help but think of all those glitter pens with a name involving 'shimmer'....I do understand what they are aiming for.

My suggestion is: Aurora Series

To quote an online definition: " Meteorologically, an aurora is the result of charged particles colliding, creating bright lights in the sky."

Edited by Pira

• 5 months later...

So, sort of resurrecting this thread because there was another thread about shimmering inks, from another manufacturer, which I can no longer find (as I had comments in it and it doesn't show up in the "My Content" section, I assume this means that the thread was deleted).

In any case: there was a misunderstanding regarding the names, and I (among others) thought that the new inks were using the same names as the Diamine Shimmertastic inks. This was not at all the case -- the Diamine names were there as placeholders. (I assume that the misunderstanding is why the thread vanished.)

In that thread, someone suggested "Holly Frost" as a possible name for a forest-green ink with silver shimmer. I read this some days ago on my phone (where I don't log in, and therefore can't post -- not that I would dream of any kind of substantive post where I'm obliged to type with my thumbs), and came to FPN just now for only one purpose:

To say that "Holly Frost" is a wonderful name for a deep green ink with silver shimmer.

1. Shimmering Sands----->Alchemy
  2. Brandy Dazzle---->Too Much Wine
  3. Magical Forest---->Too Much Money
  4. Blue Lightening--->The Panties of Venus
  5. Sparkling Shadows--->Fireworks in Your Mind

Well swell, Mr. Pink here has got only one bottle of the stuff, and this is the one he picked. So let's rename it "Gun Metal Blue", or something else more manly.

Well swell, Mr. Pink here has got only one bottle of the stuff, and this is the one he picked. So let's rename it "Gun Metal Blue", or something else more manly.

But, wouldn't Mr Pink LIKE the fact that Venus was so discombobulated in his presence that she accidentally left her panties behind (hanging from a lamp I am sure...)

Ah, the wild soirees at Mr Pink's house.

But, wouldn't Mr Pink LIKE the fact that Venus was so discombobulated in his presence that she accidentally left her panties behind (hanging from a lamp I am sure...)

Ah, the wild soirees at Mr Pink's house.

Followed, no doubt by frantic cleanup before Mrs. Pink comes home.... ;)

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hmmm... uninspired names? It could have been worse:

Diamine Shimmertastic => Diamine sparkly inks

Blue lightning => sparkly light blue

Blue pearl => sparkly dark blue

Brandy dazzle => sparkly brown

Golden sands => sparkly yellow

Magical forest => sparkly green

Night sky => sparkly black

Purple pazzazz => sparkly purple

Red lustre => sparkly red

Shimmering seas => sparkly even darker blue

Sparkling shadows => sparkly grey

So... How about a Tolkien theme?

Diamine Shimmertastic => Majestic Middle Earth

Blue lightning => The jacket of Tom Bombadil

Blue pearl => The glow of Sting (when Orcs are near)

Brandy dazzle => The robes of Radagast

Golden sands => The hair of Glorfindel

Magical forest => The trees of Lothlórien

Night sky => The Dark Tower of Barad-dûr

Purple pazzazz => The hood of Dóri

Red lustre => The depths of Sammath Naur

Shimmering seas => The shine of Ithildin (on a Midsummer's eve under a crescent moon)

Sparkling shadows => The ashes of Isengard

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

Followed, no doubt by frantic cleanup before Mrs. Pink comes home.... ;)

Oh, man, I would be in trouble. No more inks for at least four months!

I still like Frosted Holly!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

too fun

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY