Fountain Pen Database

Admin

Friends,

The database which Jonro designed and posted for free download in The Marketplace has been moved, after discussion with him, to Writing Instruments -

Here

It was generally agreed that it was too useful a resource to be slowly moved down with only the occasional 'bump'.

We would like to thank Jonro for making his work freely available, another example of the attitude here that makes us all feel part of one big family.

Warm regards,

FPN Admin Team

This account is unmanaged.
Please direct questions and comments to [email="fpnadmin@gmail.com"]FPN Admin email[/email], or directly to [url="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/user/17-wimg/"]admin Wim (wimg)[/url].

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• 7th Wave

• Hanamizu

• Runnin_Ute

Friends,

The database which Jonro designed and posted for free download in The Marketplace has been moved, after discussion with him, to Writing Instruments -

It was generally agreed that it was too useful a resource to be slowly moved down with only the occasional 'bump'.

We would like to thank Jonro for making his work freely available, another example of the attitude here that makes us all feel part of one big family.

Warm regards,

FPN Admin Team

Thanks Jonro and FPn team form all aficionados. I've d/l'd not set up yet. Wish Ii had such a d/b when i started.

Kudos to all you guys for making available to the pen community. Pen friends helping pen friends.

Edited by Gerry

• 3 years later...

what kind of dog [breed, male or female] is that, in the photo you have next to your id name in previous post ? i haven't seen a photo of that type of dog before, is why i ask.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

She is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Sorry that my response is so slow in coming. She passed away about three years ago and was a great companion. They are, however, not a dog for all people.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

With regard to Jonro's database, I would like to say thank-you again. I have been using it for 3 or 4 years and it is a pleasure to have a computer tool which does what it is designed to do reliably, quietly with no hassle, no maintainance problems, etc.

Fantastic!!

Chaim

Chaim Seymour

David Elazar 8

Givat Shemuel

Israel

• 1 year later...

Hi all

With regard to Jonro's database, I would like to say thank-you again. I have been using it for 3 or 4 years and it is a pleasure to have a computer tool which does what it is designed to do reliably, quietly with no hassle, no maintainance problems, etc.

Fantastic!!

Chaimhttp://www.cx-7.info/g.gif

For two years!

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

I download the files but it doesn't seem t work with Mac Mountain Lion - am I doing something wrong or is it not compatible?

Thanks

Mike

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/mjgordon8081/Briarwood_Capped3.jpg

Nakaya Briarwood Deep Gloss

"Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years."

Hi there,

I download the files but it doesn't seem t work with Mac Mountain Lion - am I doing something wrong or is it not compatible?

Thanks

Mike

Works for me on Mountain Lion. Don't know what you are doing wrong. If you get a message that won't let you run it because it isn't from the app store, just do a control-click and open the program. HTH

Lee

Hi,

No it isnt that, the file just wont install. I'll have another look.

Thanks

"Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years."

Hi,

Thanks

Hi Mike,

I don't know if this helps and I can only speak from a Windows PC perspective but the program doesn't install. It's a filemaker run time database that includes sufficient components to allow it to run without actually having a fully licensed version of filemaker installed on your machine. Once you have the files downloaded, you just need to click on the *exe file (*can't remember its full name) to run the database. Apologies if you are aware of this already.

Hi there,

Thanks

Mike

I recently tried to use it for the first time as well on Mountain Lion and it wouldn't work.

I think it just won't run on the latest version for some reason. It probably needs to be updated, but I get the impression it isn't bein maintained.

Hi there,

Thanks

Mike

W

I recently tried to use it for the first time as well on Mountain Lion and it wouldn't work.

I think it just won't run on the latest version for some reason. It probably needs to be updated, but I get the impression it isn't bein maintained.

I am running it on 10.8.2 just fine. Now I downloaded FP Database a few years ago, if that makes any difference. What happens when you try to run the program—nothing, an error message?

There must be another topic about this database because I remember some people on Lion having troubles and then figuring out it had to do with some international currency or date-format setting... But I can't recall the name of that other topic.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

When i click on the application 'Fountain Pen Inventory' it opens it for a second then comes up with the error:

"Fountain Pen Inventory quit unexpectedly."

Click reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and Send a report to Apple

If i click reopen it does the same again. If i click Report I get pages of techie data, starting with:-

Process: Runtime [7848]

Path: /Users/USER/Downloads/*/Fountain Pen Inventory.app/Contents/MacOS/Runtime

Identifier: com.filemaker.runtime85

Version: Runtime version 8.5v1 (8.0.1)

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [180]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2012-10-22 22:32:15.210 +0100

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Report Version: 10

Interval Since Last Report: 137744 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 8

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 27 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 6

Anonymous UUID: AEF023F7-A57D-B7B5-A10A-38909DB8980B

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[NSHIObject _getCString:maxLength:encoding:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x413e7b0'

Its a shame as I'd like to use it!

Cheers

Mike

I am running it on 10.8.2 just fine. Now I downloaded FP Database a few years ago, if that makes any difference. What happens when you try to run the program—nothing, an error message?

It crashes shortly after starting.

I just noticed that some people have managed to get it working by playing around with their region related settings. See here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29267-fountain-pen-database-available-for-download/page__st__350

Honestly, I'm not going to change stuff to US (I'm in Australia) just to get this running, so I'll probably continue not using it :glare:

Hi,

Thanks

Looking at other posts and another thread on the same subject, it appears that there is an issue for users outside of the US (don't know if this applies to you) and that the program runs fine if you change location in the settings for your Mac. I suppose one could switch the settings back and forth to use the program. HTH

Lee

Thanks Lee, i'll give it a go.

Mike

Ok, I tracked down the OS X Mountain Lion issue through another thread.

I finally got it running, on Mountain Lion no less, this morning - In System Preferences/Language & Text/Region, if Region: is set to 'United States' it works.

I followed the above and it work perfectly.

Mike

• 1 year later...

I'm on a Mac using 10.6.8. I too couldn't open it as it was crashing. However as above I went to System Preferences - Language Text - Formats - Change to United states. It now works.

Great and cheers,

Cluedoh!

Edited by Cluedoh

• 7 months later...

Ok, I had this installed on my other laptop - which has been replaced. The screen cracked to the point I can't use it unless I hook to a 25 lb CRT monitor I have. Do I need to do a reinstall (which I am willing to do if necessary as I only have 15 or so pens right now) OR should I be able to back up to a flash drive or something and install from there data intact?

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain