Ink Not Coming Out If Writing Fast?

boba7523

Hi Everyone,

I just got a Caran d'Ache fountain pen as gift and it's my first fountain pen.

I noticed that if I write at my normal speed, the ink doesn't extrude fully. I have to write very slow in order for my letters to appear solid and bold.

I don't write extremely fast at all.

What may be the issue?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• boba7523

• Sailor Kenshin

• jar

• thatotherguy1

You have a flow deficiency. That could be caused by several different things, including a defective feed (unlikely) or some foreign matter in the feed channel (much more likely). Did you clean the pen before you inked it up for the first time? If no, do so. There's probably some dried testing ink, manufacturing residue, oil, or something in the feed. If that doesn't work, you have an issue.

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

You have a flow deficiency. That could be caused by several different things, including a defective feed (unlikely) or some foreign matter in the feed channel (much more likely). Did you clean the pen before you inked it up for the first time? If no, do so. There's probably some dried testing ink, manufacturing residue, oil, or something in the feed. If that doesn't work, you have an issue.

I'm not sure it was a gift to me already preloaded with ink :(

I'm totally new at this and dont know where to start! :wacko:

Also which model pen? Are you using cartridges or converters? What is the nib width? Are you rotating the nib as you write?

No idea what model, any way I can find out?

And no idea what you said after that. I'm totally new to fountain pens :(

Cartridges are small cylinders that have ink in them. A converter is a device used in place of a cartridge, whose function is to make the user be able to fill ink from an ink bottle (usually you have to twist the top of the converter to pull up or to expel ink). The nib width gives an approximate size of the line laid down by the nib (the nib is the pointy part at the front of the pen where ink comes out). Typical nib widths include Extra-Fine, Fine, Medium, and Broad. Some people tend to rotate the nib while they write which might cause inconsistent lines to form (this phenomenon is called skipping).

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I would recommend The Goulet Pen Company's YouTube-series Fountain Pen 101 (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1AEFDC6AC935BAFC), that will give you a good introduction and some basic answers. A visual demonstration are usually way more clear than anything text can convey. In you case, video #14 Fast Pen Flushing could solve your problem.

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

A good way to learn which model you have is to post a picture here and see if any member can help you.

Caran d'Ache usually stamps the nib size on the top surface of the nib near where it enters the pen section.

note the "F" below the logo

http://www.fototime.com/B0CE60948A4C499/large.jpg

People who write with pencils, ball points and roller balls often rotate the tool when writing. When using a fountain pen though different habits are needed. First is to avoid pressing, let the pen simply float loosely in your hand. Second, you need to not rotate the nib; rotating the nib will lead to the pen not putting down ink.

Also, instead of the typical almost vertical slope used with ball points and roller balls, a fountain pen should be sloped at about a 55-45 degree angle.

Also, if it was given to you filled with ink, you may just have used up the initial supply. Not to worry, easy to solve.

Your pen has a few main parts. There is the nib and section, the cap, the body and what's inside. In the body of a Caran d'Ache is either a cartridge or a converter.

here is a nib/section partially unscrewed from the body of one of my Cd'A pens.

http://www.fototime.com/9C53FABEC192A2F/large.jpg

note the "0-ring" and threads under it are on the section.

Once you unscrew the section from the body you will find either a cartridge or converter attached to the section.

Check yours and we will go on to the next step.

My Website

Here's the Caran d'Ache pen if anyone can help me ID. It has an "M" below the logo.

The original ink ran out so I threw it away and replaced it with a new "plastic tube" that had ink in it.

By the way, how do I clean the metal tip? It's so black right now..

http://i.imgur.com/qkLz9zH.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/HN7v7vJ.jpg?1http://i.imgur.com/2LnqLgD.jpg?1

Edited by boba7523

Is that black material on the top surface of the nib ink, what's left of a coating, or a trick of the light with the photography?

If it's ink, did you shake the pen with the cap on to try to get it working right or did that ink just leak out?

If the former is the case, you don't have a leakage issue- just keep in mind that fountain pens can easily sling drops of ink from the nib if you shake them. If the latter is the case, you've got a problem.

Do watch the Goulet Fountain Pen 101 videos. Goulet's youtube channel is a wealth of knowledge for fountain pen users, both beginner and old hat alike. Keep in mind while you're watching that Brian Goulet (the man behind the channel) is a retailer, so if you see something in the videos you want to procure, he most likely has it on his website.

ETA- Welcome to the hobby, by the way. I'm sure this community can figure out how to help you get your pen writing like a dream and you'll be hooked :)

Edited by thatotherguy1

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

It's also important to make sure the cartridge contains fountain pen ink and not india ink or "calligraphy ink" which has shellac or other thickeners in it and can clog your feed.

It all sounds really complicated spelled out so slowly on the forum, but if we had you live, it would be a matter of minutes to see what you had, what was wrong and get things fixed. So be patient. Once it's working properly, you'll have an awesome writing instrument. :thumbup:

www.BethTreadway.com

We're making progress.

IIRC that model was called the Dunas. It has a steel nib and the "M" is for medium.

To clean it up just wash the nib and section under running water quickly and wipe down with a soft cloth.

My Website

Hi Everyone,

I just got a Caran d'Ache fountain pen as gift and it's my first fountain pen.

I noticed that if I write at my normal speed, the ink doesn't extrude fully. I have to write very slow in order for my letters to appear solid and bold.

I don't write extremely fast at all.

What may be the issue?

Lucky boba, to get such a gift. Did all these how-tos help you? How is the pen writing now?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Hi Everyone!

Wow thanks so much you guys for being so warm, welcoming, and most of all, helpful.

It's a ton of information for me to absorb so I will have to go through them one by one and also watch the youtube videos suggested by you guys.

Though I use my laptop for note taking, I'm trying to change that habit and actually write on paper. I have terrible handwriting, and typing is 3x faster for me to get information down.

I find writing on paper time consuming. With the added horribly-looking handwriting I possess, it could take two tries before I understand what the heck I wrote down months down the road lol.

I'm trying to find excuses to justify using fountain pens.

Wait 'til you see how much better you retain what you write by hand. All the justification you need.

Wait 'til you see how much better you retain what you write by hand. All the justification you need.

I have issues with remembering things (blame technology).

I also think writing could help me retain info better as it's triggering more of my muscle memory.

I'd love to start collecting fountain pens as I see it as an instrument for "big jobs"... Jobs like signing contracts, checks, etc...

I'm only 25 and I'm not at that stage of authority yet. No office yet, just a cubicle.

But since I have a fountain pen already, I could start my collection small, and collect them over time.

Sorry guys if i'm making this seem too much like a journal hahaha.

A bit stoked about this new (quite expensive) hobby of mine!

Hi Everyone!

Wow thanks so much you guys for being so warm, welcoming, and most of all, helpful.

It's a ton of information for me to absorb so I will have to go through them one by one and also watch the youtube videos suggested by you guys.

Though I use my laptop for note taking, I'm trying to change that habit and actually write on paper. I have terrible handwriting, and typing is 3x faster for me to get information down.

I find writing on paper time consuming. With the added horribly-looking handwriting I possess, it could take two tries before I understand what the heck I wrote down months down the road lol.

I'm trying to find excuses to justify using fountain pens.

What is this...'justify' of which you speak? ;)

(Just wait until you fall into the Magical Inkypaperland Rabbit-hole!)

Are brand name fountain pens of european and Japanese origin? I was watching the Youtube video posted above and the author said he had a Pilot fountain pen. Pilot is mediocre brand, and fountain pens to me seem more of a luxury. Having a hard time putting the two together.

Are brand name fountain pens of european and Japanese origin? I was watching the Youtube video posted above and the author said he had a Pilot fountain pen. Pilot is mediocre brand, and fountain pens to me seem more of a luxury. Having a hard time putting the two together.

There are brand name fountain pens from just about every where. US, UK, Germany, Italy, France, China, Japan, Korea. Brand names of all qualities, prices and being levels.

As for Pilot, they are a fantastic quality pen maker. They make everything from cheap couple of dollar disposable fountain pens, nice quality reasonable priced quality fountain pens, up to high priced (but excellent value) gold nibed fountain pens. Don't let the fact that they make disposable ballpoints fool you into thinking they are not a quality brand. They most certainly are.

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

There are brand name fountain pens from just about every where. US, UK, Germany, Italy, France, China, Japan, Korea. Brand names of all qualities, prices and being levels.

As for Pilot, they are a fantastic quality pen maker. They make everything from cheap couple of dollar disposable fountain pens, nice quality reasonable priced quality fountain pens, up to high priced (but excellent value) gold nibed fountain pens. Don't let the fact that they make disposable ballpoints fool you into thinking they are not a quality brand. They most certainly are.

Yup. Even their cheapest (Varsity, Petit, Plumix, 78G) pens offer a quality writing experience.