In Which Makes And Models Are Broad Nibs Actually Stubs?

Zhenni

I've been avoiding anything labeled "B" for years because broad nibs aren't my style. However, I can't get enough of stubs. Of course, sometimes the label says broad, but it's really a stub...

The Pilot 78G broad is a stub. So is my vintage Montblanc 22 OB.

It looks like Pelikan broad nibs may also be stubs. Is that vintage only or all models?

Does anyone have a list?

Thanks,

Jenny

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zhenni

• gerigo

• Randal6393

• Sandy1

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure about broads, but MB double broads on Classique and 149 models definitely offer line variation as does the BB on my L2k.

I have converted many Broad nibs to stubs, not all that much trouble. So if you get a Broad that looks like it would make a good stub ...

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I have converted many Broad nibs to stubs, not all that much trouble. So if you get a Broad that looks like it would make a good stub ...

Enjoy,

I found a guide online for doing that, and I'll try it out with some cheap Jinhao pens eventually, but I do like the convenience of a pen arriving the way I like it!

Hi,

There doesn't seem to be a simple answer.

From my experience a lot depends on the actual tipping size: under 0.8mm I reckon there's a 75% chance of getting a monoline nib.

As you noticed, it depends on marque and date. My MB149+B is stubbish, yet I've a Pelikan M200 BB that's a true monoline. I've had no luck finding a Parker 51 with a monoline 0.9mm nib.

I hope to learn from other Members' experience.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

The few vintage Pelikan's I've tried have been more on the stubbish side, while their modern counterparts have significantly less (if any) line variation.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Other companies sell both a broad and a stub nib. Sheaffer, Delta, Aurora and Montegrappa sell stub nibs.

http://www.fototime.com/C5D12A1D93A41FA/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/829583F3F0D689D/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/7990E526E106679/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/66D3483F0699188/large.jpg

I found a guide online for doing that, and I'll try it out with some cheap Jinhao pens eventually, but I do like the convenience of a pen arriving the way I like it!

Oh, yes, so do I. Most pens, though, even stubs, don't write the way I like. So it's out with the stones and a bit of judicious touching-up. Which is problematic since many of the more expensive pens may not turn out the way I want, even with a bit of work.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Hi,

Just to add that two of my favourite off-the-shelf Stub nibs suitable for daily [office] writers in a fairly modest ~0.7mm range are the Esterbrook 9284 Signature Stub and the Sheaffer Prelude Stub.

The Pilot Plumix can be had with a 'M Stub', and IIRC the Pilot Prera might be found with a modest Stub.

The factory stock narrow Stubs are typically very rounded, which give a low ratio of line width variation - down-stroke to cross-stroke. It seems that one needs a craftsman to grind a nib to give a higher ratio narrow Stub; often grinding an M nib to a Stub or the even higher ratio 'sharper' Cursive Italic shape.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. Here's the summary from our notes so far:

These are Broad Nibs that write as Stubs:

• Lamy 2000 BB
  • Montblanc B, BB, OB; multiple models, both modern and vintage
  • Mabie-Todd 4660 B
  • Pelikan B; vintage
  • Pilot 78G B
  • Pilot Plumix M; usually listed as Medium Italic in description

And of course, we have plenty of brands that helpfully label their products as stubs or italics. My focus here was, "what am I missing?" by avoiding all things broad.

@Sandy1, at least where I would purchase it, the Prera stub is labeled as a 1.0 italic

Pelikan BB is a stub.

I would consider buying a music nib if you love stubs.

I think of my FPs as my children.

The Pelikan M800 broad that I have is quite stubbish, especially when compared to my JoWo broad. Montblanc broad nibs are typically pretty stubbish as well.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

I wouldn't say the Montblanc BB is a stub. It has stub-like qualities (at a stretch perhaps). It's a very unusual nib and very, very nice to use, and I say this never using broads, ever. As far as memory serves you will get a slightly thicker or wetter line on the downstroke, but it feels very different to a normal stub nib (to me anyway). You get line variation, but not crisply like you can with a stub. I guess you could describe it as being more subtle.

Zhenni, if I am interpreting your question right, you're asking which pen company typically grind broads that are stub like? You're not asking which company offers stubs as one of their official nib offerings. Like you I really like stub nibs and found this whole world of nibs that are labeled Broads and are actual stubs about a year back and have been yearning for some guidance in this illicit world of stubs masquerading as broads.

So without further ado, here's my experience so far. Let's start with the Germans.

Montblanc is the one company where their modern B, OB, BB, OBB and the OBBB on the 149 are stubs in the real sense. I have most all of them ranging from the regular production Meisterstuck pens, Bohemes, Writers Editions, the 1912, the 1914, the Great Characters, the Patrons and even the 149 skeleton, and they are without a doubt all stubs. The best one of the lot is the OBBB nib on the 149. It's an amazing calligraphy nib, that's about 1.7 to 1.9mm wide. But of all the nibs, their surest stubbiest bets are the smaller 144/ Boheme nibs. Don't ask why. What's important is that the stub quality is repeatable and consistent every time I would request for a nib exchange from Hamburg. Montblanc wins hands down.

My experience is that modern Pelikan broad nibs aren't even close stubs at all. You might get lucky based on the particular grind of the nib. I quite a few broads on the M600, M800, and M1000, and they are essentially round tipped pens. I also have a couple BBs and they write like fat round Sharpies.

I have one Lamy 2000 Broad in stainless steel and it's stubbish. As is GvFC. The one GvFC Classic I got was a fluke broad stub. I have another GvFC Intuition and the broad is completely a round ball.

On to Italy

I only have one OMAS broad on a Paragon and it's quite stubbish.

I have quite a few broads on my Viscontis and they are quite stubbish too. Based on what I have seen on Youtube, their BBs are also stubbish.

Don't have broads on other Italian brands.

On to France.

Slim pickins here as most all French brands such as ST Dupont and Waterman don't offer broads in their regular line up.

My Parker Duofold Internation BB nib is a fat round tipped sharpie. My Louis Vuitton is a round tipped broad. My Waterman Edson Stub is NOT a stub at all. Just a regular broad. Most disappointing pen of all times.

On to Japan

With the exception of the Pilot 78G, all broad nibbed pens from the big three are rounded tips. Platinum does have a BB that's also a rounded tip, and Pilot calls their BB "C" nibs. Or Course. I don't think Sailor officially makes a BB. But Japanese pen makers all have Music nibs that are very stub like and very wet. They satiate my stub desire when I am in Japan. I have music nibs from all 3 makers and my favorite hands down are the Nakayas. Pilot BTW also makes an SU nib, their stub. It's much less popular than their music nib.

Back to the US

Since most US pen makers are essential cottage industry using JOWO nibs, they actually have stubs in the offering, so their broads are essentially round tipped nibs.

PHEW, that was a long list. Hope it will be useful to someone!!!

Edited by gerigo

PHEW, that was a long list. Hope it will be useful to someone!!!

Yes, that's fantastic information. And now I've added far too many pens to the wish-list now! :)

Yes, that's fantastic information. And now I've added far too many pens to the wish-list now! :)

You're very welcome. My particular favorite MB other than the 149 OBBB is the 1912 Broad. A flexy stub that's actually quite italic. My ABSOLUTE favorite.

Thanks for the great specifics!

My little Montblanc 22 broad is what started this current craze. I read someone in the Montblanc forum say that their broads were stubs, so I had to grab the cheapest one I could find to test it. The 22 is a little small for me (I have really long fingers), but it quickly became my favorite pen, so when I feel like I can responsibly part with a larger sum, I'll be looking at some of the pricier models.