Current Reasonable Price For Non-Taperite Waterman Crusader?

johntdavis

I found a fully restored near mint 1940s one with a semi-flex fine. I'm very interested, but I have no idea what is considered reasonable for these.

I keep reading that the taperite/hooded nib version is commonly around $60. This one is more than double that.

Any advice?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johntdavis

• Ron Z

• Freddy

• beanbag

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking for myself..A Waterman Crusader with frosty cap..

interesting open nib..without flaws would retail in c-note

range..Now..if we're talkin' Ebay from a reliable source

anything is possible. If you really want it..perhaps it's worth

$165.00 any day of the week. That's your call.

Fred

Thanks for your advice. $165 would certainly be my ceiling, but at this price I'm a lot more risk averse. I would love to know how flexible the nib is. I can't find any writing samples or descriptions of the nib. At that price I would hope it is fairly soft.

It definitely feels more like a luxury purchase at this point.

Just a minor correction. The Taperite is the pen that has the tapered end and small nib, almost 51 like. The Crusader is the pen with the same barrel lines, similar cap, but the traditional open nib. The Taperite with the clear end is the Taperite Citation.

Even restored, I would put the price of the pen under $165. The barrels are thin, and somewhat brittle. The sections on both models can be very difficult to remove the first time. After restoring one at a pen show many years ago, I found that the two at the table had a bet on as to whether or not I could restore the pen. As I handed the restored pen back, the one turned to his friend and said "You owe me a beer."

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Just a minor correction. The Taperite is the pen that has the tapered end and small nib, almost 51 like. The Crusader is the pen with the same barrel lines, similar cap, but the traditional open nib. The Taperite with the clear end is the Taperite Citation.

Even restored, I would put the price of the pen under $165. The barrels are thin, and somewhat brittle. The sections on both models can be very difficult to remove the first time. After restoring one at a pen show many years ago, I found that the two at the table had a bet on as to whether or not I could restore the pen. As I handed the restored pen back, the one turned to his friend and said "You owe me a beer."

I am pretty sure that there is very little you could not do.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks for the clarification. It was confusing trying to learn about the Crusader because almost every hit I got when I Googled was for the "Taperite Crusader," which is not the pen I wanted to know about (and, as you say, is not actually a pen that existed).

Google is unhelpful when an error perpetuates, unfortunately.

I'm glad I didn't win the auction. My luck is bad enough that I don't want anything to do with any sort of brittle pen. :P I sold my Sheaffer Balance II (after getting a cracked cap replaced) because of how fragile the material was. Mine was in perfect condition so I decided to get it a new home before I loved it too much.

The Crusader actually went for $167.50, which blew my mind a bit. I have no idea why; beyond the fact it was near mint. How rare are near mint Crusaders?

Edited by johntdavis

I sold my Sheaffer Balance II (after getting a cracked cap replaced) because of how fragile the material was.

Me too. The marbled finishes are a compressed acrylic, so loaded with stresses all through the material. Mine cracked just sitting in the box. The solid colors are fine, and have held up well. Sheaffer ordered way, way too much of the rod stock for the pens and later sold a lot of it, so there are a lot of pens that were made out of the same material.

re. the Crusader. Near mint would go for more. Mint anything vintage is pretty rare, so commands a higher price.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Oh, good. In glad to hear that. This one was described as near mint and looked almost perfect.

Sounds like someone got a good deal. :)