Lost Pen

Space_Elf

So for Father's Day I got my dad a TWSBI 580 Diamond with an EF nib and a set of five ink samples from Goulet. He loved it, started carrying it everywhere and grilling me on inks and papers. We planned to attend a pen show this weekend (a first for both of us) and disaster struck. His pen has disappeared.... Possibly it so show fell out of his pocket while walking the dog (despite being clipped in place), but we're holding out faint hope that he left it at work and only thoguht he put it in his pocket. Still, it's been very sad.

Should we try for finding a replacement of some sort at the pen show? Order a direct replacement from Goulet? Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

"Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space_Elf

• sharonspens

• lionheartlee

• Bklyn

In my experience, almost every pen I've "lost" eventually reappeared (in a couple of cases, immediately after I bought an identical replacement). Unless your father loved that pen so much he would appreciate having two of them, and some people love their pens enough to own duplicates, I wouldn't replace it just yet. In fact, it sounds like he hasn't had a chance to check his office yet (fingers crossed). Instead, i would use my time at the pen show to find something else in the price range that fits the bill. There should be a number of cool options in view, pens that he (and you) might not have otherwise considered.

If the original, beloved pen does not show up in a week, then I would order a duplicate from Goulet. Along with a pen case.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Dear Space_Elf:

Sadly, the pens I have lost have never been found. (I am not as lucky as Sharon. Wish I was)

I am sad that his pen is gone BUT, I would go to Goulet and replace it if he really liked it as he will be tempted by many other pens at the show. I happen to have that exact pen in a broad nib. It is a lovely pen.

The pain of losing a pen is tough. Make him feel better and get him another. Both of you will be happy.

Best,

Howard

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Order a replacement. The 580 is a wonderful pen and I certainly would not mind owning several. Might I also suggest a TWSBI Eco in addition, both in 1.1 mm? :D

I "lost" my burnt orange Al-star immediately after inking it last night...during my moment of panic I re traced my steps...fate was on my side that evening. As I walked down my side yard my foot struck something hard. In pitch black I bend over and there is my newest baby tucked In her Ashton leather slip case...Hopefully your father has such luck at his office

Order a replacement. The 580 is a wonderful pen and I certainly would not mind owning several. Might I also suggest a TWSBI Eco in addition, both in 1.1 mm? :D

Good suggestion!

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Can you think of a good reason for his being WITHOUT one ? Can you think of any serious harm in being "cursed" with two ? Worse case scenario is to put away the second, and pretend to have only one. I have two TWSBI Diamond 540 pens and a TWSBI Mini. Life is good.

Enjoy your TWSBI's. Enjoy your Dad.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I lost my first fountain pen when traveling internationally. I used my charcoal black Lamy Safari to fill out customs forms, and I'm confident I lost it when I reached up to grab my carryon the poor Lamy fell out of my shirt pocket. Ironically, this lost began my fountain pen journey!

I bought another Lamy Safari, and, at the same time, decided to by a Lamy 2k... and the rest is history.

I'd definitely look to replace the 580 with a nice pen. What a great opportunity to discuss other brands, other nibs, other filling systems with your dad to decide on the first of many replacements!

Buzz

I'd order a replacement; the worst-case scenario is that your dad will have two nice pens.

Leon

Perhaps he and the dog should retrace their steps. If your father doesn't see the pen, maybe the dog will notice something on the ground that has the maste's scent.

Thank you so much for the advice, it was appreciated.

Dad and I went to the pen show and ended up getting him a TWSBI Eco and a bottle of ink. Then he miraculously found his TWSBI while walking the dog... So, really everything was great today... Except that I didn't get anything for myself because the limited Pen Fund got spent on Dad. I had been really looking forward to getting something nice for myself at the show.

"Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Thank you so much for the advice, it was appreciated.

Dad and I went to the pen show and ended up getting him a TWSBI Eco and a bottle of ink. Then he miraculously found his TWSBI while walking the dog... So, really everything was great today... Except that I didn't get anything for myself because the limited Pen Fund got spent on Dad. I had been really looking forward to getting something nice for myself at the show.

Oohhh. Glad to hear dad's pen turned up unharmed, and wasn't stomped on when he and the dog came upon it. Sounds like you are a selfless soul to forego the possibility of getting something cool at your first pen show for the sake of filling another person's empty writing hand.

Good karma will surely come your way, when you least expect it.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I had been really looking forward to getting something nice for myself at the show.

There will always be another pen show. Dads only come around once. There's only one. And to put myself in your father's place, it's not the pen, it's who gave it to him that's important. As Sasha Royale said, "Enjoy your Dad".

Loss is part of life.

Sometimes there is the joy of finding again, sometimes not.

Learn to appreciate loss. If loss were intolerable, attachment to anything would be suffering.

Loss is not intolerable, and attachment is possible. BUt everything is loaned to us.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

All very true and honestly, I am really glad I got him into fountain pens. At least I have someone to talk to in person about pens and inks.

I'll always have a hole in my heart for a couple of ringtops that untwisted themselves from their caps and disappeared. I've become much more careful about which ones I take with me, but it's a little reminder that life is unpredictable and not in the least fair.

So glad to hear he found his pen! Stroke of luck all around! And kudos to you for getting him a new one instead of finding something for yourself, that was really nice of you! Like everyone else has said, there'll be other pen shows, and who knows? Maybe you'll find something amazing at the next one that you just have to have, that wouldn't have been at this one? :D