Clear, Demonstrator Pens More Prone To Cracking?

NewPenMan

I haven't come across threads or reports about non - clear plastic pens cracking.

Look harder. I have had several Wahl/Eversharp Skyline pens jess come part in pieces parts, a Venus President that split from end to end, several wrapped celluloid pens spontaneously unwrap and Parker 21s that jess shrunk.

My Website

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewPenMan

• jar

• Precise

• aeba

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The solution is really very simple. If you worry about TWSBI pens cracking, don't buy TWSBI pens.

It really is that simple.

No. The answer is not that simple at all.

The answer, is for TWSBI to make pens that do not crack.

Simple or not, THAT, is the answer.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

I'm grateful to hear about twsbi issues so that I don't have to have first hand experience with their crack-o-matics. Some might consider their prices to be throw-away money; I personally don't have money to throw away.

The simple fact is that twsbi pens have a high incidence of cracking. I don't owe twsbi anything. Rather twsbi, if they want my dough, owes me vastly better assurance than they provide that their pens won't crack and that on the rare occasions when they do they'll replace without giving me any static.

My reading tells me that neither is the case.

It's incumbent on twsbi to get their act together and make a crack-free pen if they want my dough.

The situation really is this vanishingly simple; their products are fatally flawed.

They are visually very attractive pens which crack, rendering them useless.

This isn't a religion. .. it's a fountain pen.

Agreed. This is not a religion. it is a fountain pen. That is why they need to make a pen that does not crack.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Cracking is not the monopoly of only clear demo n fragile plastic pens. Even PRECIOUS RESIN Mbs also crack, not while working like a race horse, but while blissfully resting in the box. Shy... three of my MB Generation FPs. Oh my Precious ...!!

Cracking is not the monopoly of only clear demo n fragile plastic pens. Even PRECIOUS RESIN Mbs also crack, not while working like a race horse, but while blissfully resting in the box. Shy... three of my MB Generation FPs. Oh my Precious ...!!

maybe the generation line is the equivalent of twsbi from montblanc? :)

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Agreed. This is not a religion. it is a fountain pen. That is why they need to make a pen that does not crack.

I agree. My post was coloured by the frustration of people spreading rumours (usually not started by themselves) about TWSBI cracking (or modern iron-gall corroding), and actually keeping others who are looking for market advice in pens and inks from buying TWSBI or iron-gall, both of which in my opinion are very high quality products. There need to be an awareness that the vast majority of TWSBIs do not crack. I do not have any statistic on that, but I assume it is a case of the ones who have had a problem (and who rarely explain the reason for the cracking) are the only ones who post and talk about it, while the happy customers rarely do so, unless asked to (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/215012-so-has-anyones-twsbi-not-broken/). I would just ask potential customers to let reason and not rumour-mongering steer their choices.

Edited by Noihvo

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

And I've had my red demo M200 for at least 7 years, and the only thing to crack on that was the congenitally-cracked inner cap (which I repaired myself, back in 2008, and it's still holding)

Think there's any hope for this M205? It doesn't leak, but I'd like to make sure it maintains its structural integrity.

My post was coloured by the frustration of people spreading rumours (usually not started by themselves) about TWSBI cracking (or modern iron-gall corroding), and actually keeping others who are looking for market advice in pens and inks from buying TWSBI or iron-gall, both of which in my opinion are very high quality products. I would just ask potential customers to let reason and not rumour-mongering steer their choices.

I get your position and I can relate to your frustration...FWIW, I do not believe that anyone is out there just to slam TWSBI, including myself. I would like to see them succeed because I think their offerings are pretty enticing. I'm not willing to gamble my $28 or my $50 or $60 that maybe this time, they got their plastic problem solved. Short of buying for themselves, all a pen shopper has to go by is online comments.

It's probably always the case that happy customers will be quieter than unhappy ones. And even if only X-percentage of TWSBIs crack, who wants to be one of the unlucky customers who gets one? Their message seems to be, "we have things all hammered out and our product is now free of the cracking problem which plagued us earlier" and this simply does not appear to be correct.

I have no illusion that other pens are invincible from Life's punishments and that only TWSBI pens crack, but when you look at the terrain of cracking pens out there, one name comes up over and over again.

I truly hope they figure it out; if they do, I'd be very interested in buying their pens.

Edited by NewPenMan

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

No. The answer is not that simple at all.

The answer, is for TWSBI to make pens that do not crack.

Simple or not, THAT, is the answer.

TWSBI seems to sell pens successfully. They seem to support their customers.

Do you actually have any evidence other than anecdote, rumor or hearsay that TWSBI pens crack more than any other brand?

Your rant makes no more sense than if I were ranting about TWSBI making silly clear pens that allow people to see ink getting into all those places where it is not pretty.

My Website

That's the only type of evidence available, pro or con. Twsbi have acknowledged the issues, so it isn't some ugly rumor being spread. The are plenty of reports of twsbi pens with cracks in them regardless of how many pens are sold m. The issue is the cracking problem. .

To my knowledge, nobody is ranting that the pens are transparent and show the ink inside, but that the twsbi pens crack and this for a fountain pen, is a deal-breaker problem.

I don't have hard numbers on this but what I have heard and read is keeping me from buying twsbi pens.

Edited by NewPenMan

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

A most fascinatin' read....

Thank you!

Fred

the inconsequence is manifest...you know..some men are rich

some men are ignorant...therefore some rich men are ignorant...

son..I've seen more dead bodies than you've had tee-vee dinners

~ Carl Kolchak

That's the only type of evidence available, pro or con. Twsbi have acknowledged the issues, so it isn't some ugly rumor being spread. The are plenty of reports of twsbi pens with cracks in them regardless of how many pens are sold m. The issue is the cracking problem. .

To my knowledge, nobody is ranting that the pens are transparent and show the ink inside, but that the twsbi pens crack and this for a fountain pen, is a deal-breaker problem.

I don't have hard numbers on this but what I have heard and read is keeping me from buying twsbi pens.

Thank you New Pen Man. Case closed.

TWSBI seems to sell pens successfully. They seem to support their customers.

Do you actually have any evidence other than anecdote, rumor or hearsay that TWSBI pens crack more than any other brand?

I have used fountain pens for about 50 years. I presently own about 60 fountain pens, including the aforementioned Sheaffer's (and Wearever) student pens. In all that time, I have had only had 5 or 6 issues with cracking. They all occurred with TWSBI pens. I would truly love to love the pens, but I don't trust their durability.

Just one person's experience.

I have used fountain pens for about 50 years. I presently own about 60 fountain pens, including the aforementioned Sheaffer's (and Wearever) student pens. In all that time, I have had only had 5 or 6 issues with cracking. They all occurred with TWSBI pens. I would truly love to love the pens, but I don't trust their durability.

Just one person's experience.

So anecdote. Got it.

My Website

So what type of data and from what source would you find acceptable if not data from other pens users?

You also require videotape expert eyewitnesses testimony from the government or how about twsbi itself admitting as they have to the cracking problem

So...anecdotal evidence.........of course your mileage has/will

vary..........................................this is my own personal opinion..

which is Not necessarily true or reliable.....................................

Fred

Admittedly the story you are about to read is bizarre

incredible those of you who wish to avoid being unsettled

who wish to avoid thinking will label it insane And though

you the reader would find these facts almost impossible to

substantiate that does not change their nature Facts they

are I know I saw them happen...............................................

~ Carl Kolchak

So what type of data and from what source would you find acceptable if not data from other pens users?

You also require videotape expert eyewitnesses testimony from the government or how about twsbi itself admitting as they have to the cracking problem

Actual statistics. What percentage of all TWSBI pens suffer cracking? What are the common characteristics to all incidents.

Self reporting is notoriously unreliable.

My Website

Actual statistics. What percentage of all TWSBI pens suffer cracking? What are the common characteristics to all incidents.

Self reporting is notoriously unreliable.

Nice trick. The only body which could provide those statistics surely won't want to provide the statistics.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Nice trick. The only body which could provide those statistics surely won't want to provide the statistics.

jar is right - proof requires systematic data, not selective anecdote and speculation. Why not muster a representative sample of users on FPN and poll them?