Pilot Metropolitan Leak Question

jazztrumpet5

Hi guys - I'm fairly new to fountain pens, and one of my purchases for EDC is a Pilot Metropolitan. After using the filled cartridge that came with the pen, I was excited to use some Noodler's with the refill, but ever since I've been having problems.

Firstly, I've been getting leakage through the non-functional section divider on the pen (attached photo). Also, I'm not sure if this is supposed to be the case, but when I shake the pen (softly or firmly), I can hear the cartridge bouncing around inside - it never "locked" into place, which, I don't know if it's supposed to or not.

I couldn't find any answers elsewhere - I don't know if I have a faulty pen, or if I'm just not putting it together correctly. Thanks for your help!

post-124782-0-14228100-1440762829_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• weltyj

• jazztrumpet5

• Oldparkerguy

• Martinsroom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the refilled cartridge was did not seat securely (and it will feel firm when it seats), then you most likely have ink slopping around the pen body.

You need to take it apart -- OVER A SINK -- expect copious amounts of ink to come out as you unscrew it.Try holding it nib up when you unscrew it, that may help control the flood ;-)

After you've cleaned up the mess, and refilling the cartridge with fresh ink, try to seat it again.

I recommend using a converter, it will be far easier in the long run.

Good luck. The metro is a great pen!

Edited by weltyj

If you recover and cleanup everything as weltj suggests you should have no problems. A converter is good too but I have reused an old washed out empty cartridge over and over for maybe 25 years in an old Parker 45, refilling it with a 10 ml syringe. I change colors that way too after a good rinse out and flushing. No leaks. YMMV.

The Metros ARE great! That's my pants pocket pen for meetings.

Best wishes, Dana

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Thanks guys!

If it clears anything up, I used not the spent cartridge, but the converter that came with the pen (for refilling). Is it supposed to lock into place?

Yes, the converter will "lock" in place, a very snug fit which prevents ink from getting anywhere but into the nib/feed. Once in place, you don't fill the converter by removing it, rather you dip the pen nib and part of the section into the ink bottle and draw the ink by suction into the converter.

There's plenty of info around how to do that if you need more details...

Let us know how it goes.

Yes, the converter will "lock" in place, a very snug fit which prevents ink from getting anywhere but into the nib/feed. Once in place, you don't fill the converter by removing it, rather you dip the pen nib and part of the section into the ink bottle and draw the ink by suction into the converter.

There's plenty of info around how to do that if you need more details...

Let us know how it goes.

Ahh, okay. I didn't realize that - I filled the converter with a syringe, and then placed the nib/feed down onto the converter, then screwed everything into place. After a couple of days, I started hearing the converter rattling around inside the pen, spilling the ink and leaking out that thin separated part.

I thoroughly washed the parts, but am still noticing a not-that-snug connection between the converter and the nib/feed. It isn't rattling anymore. After everything dries, I'll add ink the way you've suggested!

Thanks again - I'm pretty new to all of this, and you're being incredibly helpful.

No problem -- I was new to this not that long ago, it's nice to be able to pass along the help I have received at this great site for fountain pens.

The connection may or may not be super tight between the converter and the feed, but you definitely should feel it snap lightly (or more solidly, depending on the pen) over the receiving end in the section, and then feel it sitting firmly against the feed. If you can take the section and shake it upside down (nib up), and the converter stays in, you are good to go.

Also if you search around on the forums, you'll find some info how to dry the parts. Using paper towels wrapped around the nib and swinging the pen in a circular motion forcing the water out the nib with centripital force is a favorite way (hold the pen tight ;-) ). No need to wait for the pen to dry completely out, that takes waaaaay too long!

I've been through two metropolitans now which behaved wonderfully to begin with but then there's either been a leak down between the section and the feed or developing an air leak into the feed meaning it dumped an entire cartridge of ink straight out the nib. Needless to say I've given up on them.