Looking For A New Baystate Blue Pen

denbuh

My dedicated Baystate Blue pen recently bit the dust...it was a $2 Jinhao 599 (the plastic one), so I am in the market for a new one. I have thought about paying a few extra dollars and springing for the $5 metal 599, but I am not in love with the section (I do have a tri-finger grip, but I prefer that my index finger sit on top of the section instead of off to the side). Do you have a dedicated BSB pen? If so, which one is it?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• denbuh

• GardenWeasel

• Alexandra

• shawndp

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is a Platinum Preppy eydropper. I dilute BSB by about 50% and still get a good blue. My 4.5 oz bottle should last for years. It's quite the high mileage ink.

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

Preppy seems to be the officially recommended choice from NT, so another vote for that. Alternatively, how about a Pilot 78g / Plumix / Penmanship? since you can use a few different nibs and the feeds pull out for a good cleaning?

If you want a Jinhao, go the whole hog and get a Jinhao 1200 silver dragon.

Filled with BSB, you can't get much more in your face than that. :lol:

Failing that, get yourself a Jinhao 217. (approx $5)

Ian

Mine is a bit more expensive: a TWSBI Classic. But, I'm very happy with it.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

A TWSBI Eco would be nice filled with BSB. I have it in a Noodlers ED.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

A TWSBI Eco would be nice filled with BSB. I have it in a Noodlers ED.

Agreed.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Well, I used to use a Guanleming Demonstrator, until I broke the cap -- snapped the top of the cap end off, (the part that holds the clip on). Tried a Noodler's FPC, but had very bad feathering issues when I tried to flex the nib the slightest bit.

If I could get my hands on a second Noodler's Charlie pen, I'd try that (the one I have never gets emptied fast enough to flush the Heart of Darkness out of it -- every time I get low, it starts burping ink and it's just easier to refill).

Or else I may try to find some pen that has a hooded nib, because that seemed to control the ink better. I hesitate using a vintage pen, though, because I don't know if I can the old ink out sufficiently so as to not interact badly with BSB (although I keep wondering whether a capillary filler can manage an ink like BSB -- in which case I'd try it with a 61 after trying to find a NOS capillary filler). But at the same time I'd want a pen with a nib with some give or spring to it -- something that would give some line variation (and you don't generally get that with a hooded nib.... I guess the next best thing would be a pen with a hood nib *and* something like an oblique nib).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Mine is an Esterbrook LJ with a 9788 nib unit. I use the ink straight from the bottle, without dilution. In over a year, I've had no issues with clogging.

Leon

Since you appear to use Baystate Blue regularly and want a pen that is truly dependable, why not look for a good bargain on a Lamy 2K? Seems it would go together well, the 2K can be disassembled and cleaned (fairly) easy, and the one-up-manship would be truly excellent.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

You may want to use a Pilot Metropolitan for it. Personally though, I do not have a dedicated BSB pen. I just use it whatever pen I fancy (except for demonstrators) then just thoroughly rinse it out when I'm done. So far, I have never had a problem during many fills I've taken.

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

Mine's a TWSBI 700 Vac in Sapphire, bought specifically for the purpose. Going on three years with no problems and the ink looks great in the pen.

Oooh, what a great idea! In doing some searching it looks like this particular color is not being produced anymore, however, TWSBI has this pen with a broad nib still available. I just may snatch it up! I have always loved the idea of putting BSB in a demonstrator because of how great the color looks, but was never excited about the staining possibility. It seems I may just need to find a demonstrator I can dedicated to BSB. Before my Jinhao, I was using a Preppy, but the blue nib started to flake off (I know the new preppies don't have colored nibs) and I just didn't feel satisfied putting my beloved BSB in it...I felt it deserved a little bit better! :)

Since you appear to use Baystate Blue regularly and want a pen that is truly dependable, why not look for a good bargain on a Lamy 2K? Seems it would go together well, the 2K can be disassembled and cleaned (fairly) easy, and the one-up-manship would be truly excellent.

Enjoy,

YES...I will admit that I have considered this very pen for BSB but was not not sure if that would make me seem crazy. I think that ink would look lovely coming out of that pen, and I have heard nothing but wonderful things about this pen and the way it writes.

Am I crazy for using BSB in a Cross ATX EF?

I don't think so. Which color do you have? The blue one is very nice!