College Graduation: Help Me Choose Among Several Beauties?

Rubicon

I think your mother raises a good point. While I am sure the Nakaya is a nice pen in it's own right, it is virtually unknown outside of the small fountain pen aficionado community. If you are going to spend a lot of money on a pen, the Montblanc from a long term investment or heirloom perspective would be the better bang for the buck.

If you had $200K to $400K to spend on an exoctic car, would you get an Audi R8 or a Ferrari? The latter would be my choice.

Edited by max dog

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• casualmerlinconstant

• Rubicon

• max dog

• Betweenthelines

I think your mother raises a good point. While I am sure the Nakaya is a nice pen in it's own right, it is virtually unknown outside of the small fountain pen aficionado community. If you are going to spend a lot of money on a pen, the Montblanc from a long term investment or heirloom perspective would be the better bang for the buck.

If you had $200K to $400K to spend on an exoctic car, would you get an Audi R8 or a Ferrari? The latter would be my choice.

The Audi, of course.

Buying a pen as an investment is absurd. If this pen is truly for you to mark a special occasion, it should be special and meaningful and loved and used by you, first and foremost, without worrying about selling it later on.

Not talking about selling or investment per se. Sometimes when all else is equal, brand recognition does hold it's value better in the long run.

For a quarter million $$$, I'd get a Ferrari or Lambo over an Audi. No contest. When someone says Audi, the boxy A4 family sedan comes to mind, not a sleek super car.

At $9000 my hard earned dollar I think would be better spent in the long run with a Rolex Datejust over a comparable Tag Heuer. I'm no watch connossieur, but if I were at an auction for a vintage watch and there was a Rolex and a Tag of comparable quality up for bid, I'd be more willing to bid on the Rolex just because I know what it is. The same would apply with Montblanc vs a Nakaya in the grand scheme of things if all else is equal.

Assuming the Montblanc is just as appealing as the Nakaya for the OP at similar cost, I'm saying then the MB has the better value edge by virtue of it's universal recognition. It's just logical.

But then passion is illogical so my advice to the OP is just get what sings to you the most if money is no object.

Edited by max dog

If this is a gift to commemorate a special event, then don't try to treat it as an investment. Remembering this point in life, the work you've put in to achieve your goals, and the accomplishments you've achieved is an important part of maturing and developing. But these are emotional events for (often irrational) people. Get the pen that you would enjoy and appreciate for the foreseeable future.

An investment should be a rational decision designed to generate increasing value over the long term. Investing in collectables is a highly specialized market that requires in-depth knowledge of not only the collection but also the market.

Thank your mom for such a generous gift. You should also thank her for giving you an input. And if I had the option to pick, I would choose a Nakaya. If I had to start my fountain pen accumulation all over again and was only going to focus on modern pens, I would choose Nakayas.

Buzz

If money is not a matter, i will skip all three and get a Hakase in buffalo horn and tortoise shell instead.

Just my opinion, $8000 for a pen is absurd, even a limited edition from well-known brand like MB. As a unique moment, i will want something that is truly made for myself. Although Nakaya is a great pen, but is couldn't shine when compare with Hakase.

Just my 2c.

• 2 weeks later...

first of all, i'm a fan of nakaya and owns more than one of nakaya fountain pens. so i'm bias.

guess when it comes down to the choice between nakaya and mont blanc for you, it's best to decide if you prefer a light weight pen or one with a heftier feel in your hand.

mont blanc uses metal parts in their pens, hence will give additional substantial weight when compared to nakaya. one of the many reasons i love nakaya is for their light weight feel, as i do long writings.

and i'm a user, not a collector. so 'value' of a pen means different to me than to those who plan to resell their pens for profit.

-rudy-

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I'll go with a Nakaya :)

Congrats on your achievement. What a conundrum though! You've made a lovely choice.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.