College Graduation: Help Me Choose Among Several Beauties?

Rubicon

So I just graduated from college in May and my parents along with my two uncles have decided to give me a combined graduation present. I have several choices in mind and I would also love recommendations. Price is no object as long as it's not outrageous. It's so hard to choose! Please just use your own subjective opinion :)

Nakaya Skeleton: Scorpius

Pros: I love astronomy and the constellation Scorpius in particular. It's super classy! Plus Nakaya nibs are super customizable.

Cons: it takes six months to produce according to Nakaya. I have half a mind to pick it up in Japan in February! Shipping+tax is likely to be outrageous.

My mother thinks the pen has no "investment value" because Nakaya is virtually unknown in the general populace compared to MB. I personally don't care much, but as my mom may very well be converted to FPs I feel a moral obligation to buy pens she likes, since she may end up co-owning my pens in all but name :P

Montblanc Blue Hour Skeleton 149

Pros: love at first friggin sight. By far the prettiest pen I've ever seen. The color is gorgeous. It has a shiny jewel like quality.

Plus what if I don't end up making enough money to buy this pen down the line? I will probably regret it for many years. The other two, I can see myself affording after a couple of years; my degree is quite valuable after all. But not this one. And 2015 is quickly coming to a close. What if they stop producing it and I can never find it again?

Cons: the price. The price. Price IS no object, but my mother raised an objection that I largely agreed with: it's not even solid gold; only gold plated. Even with the Montblanc premium, she said she would have bought the pen no question at half price, but at 8700 USD it feels like a rip off.

It has no particular theme that I like.

I can't take it outside with me... So it has limited utility at best.

Montblanc WE Leo Tolstoy

Pros: I seem to like MB's designs more and more. They have abandoned them, in my opinion, stiff and "proper" designs in exchange for stylish modernity. It's classy. It's pretty.

Also I like Tolstoy and Russian lit in general. I love War and Peace. No REALLY.

I feel comfortable carrying it around with me.

Cons: None, really. The only real con is that it's not either of the two previous pens, both of which I really like.

Edited by Rubicon

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• casualmerlinconstant

• Rubicon

• max dog

• Betweenthelines

I would personally go with the Nakaya, It's a beautiful pen. I love the dual tone soft fine nib on my Nakaya.

fpn_1386003453__keroro_mad.gifであります!

I'd go with the Nakaya. It's a classic design that you will still love and enjoy using years down the line.

If you're planning on getting regular use out of your graduation present, maybe see if your local MB boutique has the two LE, so you can try them in the hand? Just to make sure that they're not too heavy, or uncomfortable.

If your mom was willing to spend 8700 and wants you to get something that's an "investment", get a used Rolex Sub and call it a day, LOL...you'd never lose a penny on it.

As for pens: I'd get the Nakaya.

Edited by sirgilbert357

Be thinking maintenance and ink capacity. Sometimes you need to write a LOT in a short space of time and might not be able to grab a pack if cats going out the door.

Twenty years seems like a long time now, but it's nice to get maintenance on a beloved darling that's literally been loved to death.

No question, Nakaya. To me, the MBs practically scream "factory made".

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

I was going to vote for the Blue Hour and then I noticed that you meant the Skeleton Blue Hour (2nd pic in the link)...

Honestly, I can't vote for a particular pen, as I find them all kind of unattractive.

But since you are open to suggestions too, how about a Montegrappa Miya Argento?

It is kind of flashy and it will need a little bit of care since it has parts made of sterling silver. But I think it's absolutely beautiful. And it definitely makes a nice 'trophy' pen.

For something more understated that you could actually use daily I would consider

a regular Blue Hour

a JFK (now the limited edition looks awesome, but I don't even dare look at the price)

a Caran d' Ache Leman

a Cross Apogee

a Pelikan M800

a few more that I can't recall know :P

Don't hesitate to spend some money on a nibmeister if necessary. After all it's a one time purchase.

Edited by inotrym

First of all well done - using someone else's money is a good strategy for investment, doubly so for investment in pens.

I think I fall on the other side of aesthetic taste - I generally like my things to stand out by being simple, clean and with a restrained dash of bling. In that regard, I'd pick the nakaya - simple sleek shape with a dash of well controlled and tasteful colour.

Not sure what your intended purpose for the pen is and I think that should be another point to consider. I generally tend to use my pens very extensively - take uptmost care of them but they have still picked up microscratches and usage marks here and there. If you plan to use it for the next 20 years for example, you will probably drop it at least once. So maybe durability should also be considered.

I was going to vote for the Blue Hour and then I noticed that you meant the Skeleton Blue Hour (2nd pic in the link)...

Honestly, I can't vote for a particular pen, as I find them all kind of unattractive.

But since you are open to suggestions too, how about a Montegrappa Miya Argento?

It is kind of flashy and it will need a little bit of care since it has parts made of sterling silver. But I think it's absolutely beautiful. And it definitely makes a nice 'trophy' pen.

For something more understated that you could actually use daily I would consider

a regular Blue Hour

a JFK (now the limited edition looks awesome, but I don't even dare look at the price)

a Caran d' Ache Leman

a Cross Apogee

a Pelikan M800

a few more that I can't recall know :P

Don't hesitate to spend some money on a nibmeister if necessary. After all it's a one time purchase.

+1 on the plain blue hour. Does it come in the 146 size I wonder?

Edit: nevermind it does come in 146 size. should've just kept scrolling haha

Edited by superglueshoe

If you want to make "an investment", take one of the Montblancs, but if you want to buy a piece of art, then go with the Nakaya!

If you solely want an investment, then let's put it like this. Which of these is handmade in a country with an aging population, by artisans whose art is quickly disappearing in an industrialized society? I know which one I would buy if I were looking for an investment. The one more likely to disappear.

You don't sell fountain pens or any luxury item to "general society." You sell luxury items to the collectors and enthusiasts who actually know what they're buying, can offer what its worth, and appreciate it for its history and function. Used Montblancs are everywhere. They're even copied and faked. Nakaya? Haven't seen a fake yet and they're much harder to find.

Used Montblancs lose value because (1) there are more of them out there and (2) modern MBs cannot compare with vintage ones which sell, used, for less. Nakayas, by their comparative rarity in the used market, retain a lot of their value or even increase in value depending on the nib and design work.

round-letter-exc.png

I'd go with a Nakaya, but I'd get one with the shiro-tamenuri finish because it's just been discontinued and will be highly collectible very soon, but it's also classic, timeless, and beautiful.

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

If money is really no object for your parents for this gift, choose the pen that you attach the most significance to, and ask them to donate the rest of the difference in cost to your retirement plan!

If money is really no object for your parents for this gift, choose the pen that you attach the most significance to, and ask them to donate the rest of the difference in cost to your retirement plan!

Smart!

Since it's a present, pick the pen you like. Don't pick it on price. The Porsche 3135 is an expensive dud. Have you considered Sailor?

Go with the Montblanc Blue Hour, that was love at first sight. Montblanc is a solid investment and a quality writing instrument. It is the ultimate writing machine. Once you get that in your collection, then you can start building up to the rest of your own...IMHO...LOL...

I warn you though, once you start collecting and using, you're going to be broke all the time and counting the time until you can buy the next pen...Then comes the inks..hehehe..

Congrats on graduation, well done.

I don't normally like maki-e, but the Nakaya is stunning. Nakayas are usually pretty comfortable as well, and it would be my choice. The blue hour skeleton is stunning it really is. However, it looks to be made of metal, and even though there are many cutouts in in I would imagine the weight is super high on it. In my experience, heavier pens wear out my hand making for an uncomfortable writing experience. I'd go with the Nakaya. It's more subtle than either of the montblancs, but it's not boring by any stretch of the imagination. It's something you could look at for hours, trying to capture all of the detail of. The Tolstoy? Just not my cup of tea.

"Oh deer."

Price is no object as long as it's not outrageous.

Proceeds to list multi-thousand dollar pens.

:P

Nakaya, no question. One of a kind pens.

Edited by Betweenthelines

The Nakaya. It is a work of art and is the only one that is truly unique. The blue hour skeleton is attractive but the price is overly high for what it is.

If your mom was willing to spend 8700 and wants you to get something that's an "investment", get a used Rolex Sub and call it a day, LOL...you'd never lose a penny on it.

As for pens: I'd get the Nakaya.

This - on both the Sub and the Nakaya.