Mabie Todd Birds

MarcShiman

Mabie Todd's brands, starting with the Swan, have almost universally been named after birds.

Almost - I'm not sure what a Fyne Point would look like.

Here's a list of the brands - I will insert pictures into the original post over time, but feel free to add pictures in the replies below:

Swan - the main brand

Subdivided into American

Early 20's

fpn_1440797435__early_swans.jpg

Mid-late 20's

fpn_1440797498__late_20_swans.jpg

1930's (until the end)

fpn_1440797388__30s_swans.jpg

And British (and rest of the world)

fpn_1440797468__english_swans.jpg

Swallow - the US economy brand

fpn_1440797539__swallows.jpg

Blackbird - the UK economy brand

fpn_1440797421__blackbirds.jpg

Jackdaw - the UK school pen

Fyne Point - the main pencil brand

fpn_1440797483__fyne_points.jpg

Starling - a lower cost US pencil, and possibly a UK hard rubber brand of MT

fpn_1440797525__starlings.jpg

Kiwi - a lower end European brand, possibly either a Jackdaw or Blackbird

Le Merle Blanc - typically rebranded Blackbirds for the Benelux market

fpn_1440797512__le_merle_blanc.jpg

Gaviota - typically rebranded Blackbirds for the Spanish market

Gaviota Automatica - I've seen one intended for the Italian market

Cygnet - typically stylo pens

Kingfisher - a mythical Australian MT brand. I've never seen one

Big Blackbird - I would suggest this is a different brand altogether from Blackbirds, and seem to have led its own life. European cousins Merle Blanc Ceant and Gaviota Gigante.

fpn_1440797405__big_blackbirds.jpg

Others?

Edited by MarcShiman
Added Pictures

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MarcShiman

• northlodge

• Lelouch

• sidthecat

An interesting side line is the Jackdaw Spanish gold overlays. Fine craftsmanship overlay on MRH Jackdaw pen.

Link to someone's pics (so as not to just steal and repost)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/524810162800565262/

And in Pen History at FPN

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/225630-swan-toledo-fountain-pen/

Edited by Greenie

If anyone has some pictures of Pre-1920's Swans, a better selection of British Swans, or any of the other brands that don't have pictures, post them here, and I'll figure out how to get them under the correct label.

Marc

Not at all... I think grouping them where it makes sense will keep this post from being monstrously long.

I think you have a collection of overlays and metals, yes?

Proud to say that I have purchased my first Swan pen and it should arrive in a day or two. I will humbly post a picture. It's fairly old but I have no idea how old or do I know much about the history of Swan. So I would ask for any info that you can share. I'll be back in a couple of days.

I have three (two in the shop): two gold-clad ringtops and a later celluloid RT, black and green marbling. We also have a tiny little Edward Todd ringtop that looks like a brown cigarette. The nibs should inspire one to poetry, but I haven't the gift.

• 7 months later...

A ebay listing here resulted in me doing a search for the Mabie Todd Kiwi pen. There seems so little information on this model, excepting a suggestion it was for the European market.

With a name like that I would have imagined the New Zealand market would have been the logical outlet.

Is there any evidence to support the view that the French were seeking out a kiwi (other than a much needed Rugby coach ;) )

Edited by northlodge

A ebay listing here resulted in me doing a search for the Mabie Todd Kiwi pen. There seems so little information on this model, excepting a suggestion it was for the European market.

With a name like that I would have imagined the New Zealand market would have been the logical outlet.

Is there any evidence to support the view that the French were seeking out a kiwi (other than a much needed Rugby coach ;) )

Copy of the photo, for posterity;

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx4/northlodge/kiwi%201_zps0mms3dqp.jpg

That pen is clearly stamped for the UK market, and the presence of a 14c nib also suggests it wasn't bound for France. Mabie Todd was quite meticulous about its imprinting of its pens.

It has a Blackbird nib - the Jackdaw nibs were a bit smaller. I'm really not sure how this fits in the British MT hierarchy.

I'm not sure if these pictures will be useful here, but unfortunately I do not have much knowledge about the time period of these pens. They are just part of my swans which I think came before the 20s.

Unfortunately some pictures of other pens were too big to upload at this time.

post-80699-0-69899800-1461276433_thumb.jpeg

post-80699-0-51457400-1461276446_thumb.jpeg

post-80699-0-53595900-1461276463_thumb.jpeg

post-80699-0-47482400-1461276492_thumb.jpeg

post-80699-0-82986600-1461276521_thumb.jpeg

post-80699-0-31048900-1461276538_thumb.jpeg