• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• DrDebG

• Arkanabar

• Barkingpig

This seems fun! If I had to pick to take with me, from my stash, today I would choose:

Black: Noodler's Lexington Grey (I don't really use black ink)

Blue: Diamine Regency Blue

Purple: DeA Alexander Hamilton

Green: Super5 Dublin or PR Avacado

Turquoise: Sailor Souten (I'll make this one a bright blue)

Brown: PR Chocolat

Orange/Yellow: DeA Mahatma Gandhi or PR Orange Crush

Red/Pink/Burgundy: This one's hard- I have yet to find a red I'm really in love with. I guess I'd use the opportunity to try either my Sailor Oku-yama or R&K Alt-Bordeaux. Or maybe I'd just take the stash of red samples I've accumulated to see if I can find a red "winner."

We'll see how quickly this list changes. :)

Hi,

I’m reluctant to list ‘best’ inks, so in the fun spirit of this Topic these are inks I’d consider for a coast-to-coast-to-coast road trip across the lower States at this time of year. My selection would likely change if sailing to Hawaii and Alaska were on the itinerary.

I don’t keep a journal, so inks would be for correspondence.

• Black: Sharpie / India Ink + dip pen (Writer of last resort and glossy post cards.)
  • Blue: Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue (Can be diluted to give a range of Values.)
  • Purple: R&K Solferino (Typically my screaming/rant ink, [paired with Canary Yellow legal format paper], though will suit letters to-from New Orleans.)
  • Green: Stipula Verde Muschiato - for the Everglades
  • Turquoise: Pelikan Edelstein Topaz - a demijohn
  • Brown: Noodler’s FPN Galileo Manuscript. (Travelling during harvest time one would see more Yellow than Green; and is nicely warm so suits thank-you/nice-to-have-met-you notes.)
  • Orange: Pilot iroshizuku yu-yake
  • Red/Pink/Burgundy: Visconti Bordeaux

I’d take just one pen, likely a Sheaffer Prelude, simply because its robust & no-fuss and I have a range of nibs for it.

And a Dodge Charger (Black with White doors.)

Bye,
S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Fun topic. I'd suggest accommodating more inks by buying some small, sturdy brown bottles to save space. How much ink would you really need for each color? Plus order a few dozen ink alternatives in vials from Goulet, just to make sure you can indulge whims inspired by new vistas.

You could also make more room by getting rid of non-necessities such as bedding and changes of clothes.

Did anyone suggest Waterman Brown? . Lovely, well-behaved, but under-loved.

Now, which pens are you bringing along?

Brian

I think you sent me this!! I've never filled it out and sent it back because looking at those pinks makes me happy.

Also, I bought the MB Pink because of this, and man in one of my vintage pens, the MB pink gets very dark.

ETA yup it's hanging out on my bulletin board.

LOL, that's totally okay! I'm glad you like it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Road Trip!

Small bottles to fit with an imaginative old lady in a 3 pedal Miata B)

• Black = Aurora
  • Blue = Parker Penman
  • Turquoise = Sheaffer Peacock
  • Green = Caran d'Ache Amazon
  • Yellow = Private Reserve Buttercup
  • Orange = Noodler's Cayenne
  • Red = Diamine Wild Strawberry
  • Pink = Sheaffer Persian Rose
  • Grey = Noodler's Lexington
  • Brown = Waterman Havana

I do think I should defend my inky honor and point out that when I said to buy the entire Iro line up, it was the tiny bottles that take up less room than 7 bottles of ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Did anyone suggest Waterman Brown? . Lovely, well-behaved, but under-loved.

Now, which pens are you bringing along?

I found Waterman Havana-[new-twinked-name] to be a great performer. I never fell in love with the hue but I still crave the now-absent "Waterman scent".

Turquoise: Pelikan Edelstein Topaz - a demijohn

Bye,

S1

Good one, I've not heard "deminjohn" in conversation this century.

Following the theme, today's choices would be:

Black: Aurora Black

Blue: Noodler's - Liberty's Elysium

Purple: Rohrer & Klingner - Scabiosa

Green: Rohrer & Klingner - Alt-Goldgrun

Turquoise: Pelikan Edelstein - Topaz

Brown: J.Herbin - Lie de The

Orange: Iroshizuku Yu-Yake

Red: Montblanc - Corn Poppy Red

Pink/Burgundy: None, don't use

And the couple of missing ones

Blue/Black: Iroshizuku Shin-Kai

Grey: Diamine Graphite

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

I took a few minutes last night to look over all of the posts, and did a quick tally of the various colors that you suggested. You might find it interesting.

Black: My choice: None; Your choice: Aurora Black

(there were 13 different black inks posted).

Blue: My choice: Sailor Nioi-Sumire; Your choice: Diamine Sargasso Sea

(there were 26 different blue inks posted)

Purple: My choise: Rohrer & Klingner Cassia; Your choice: A toss up between Rohrer & Klingner Solferino and Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa

(there were 22 different purple inks posted)

Green: My choice: Rohrer & Klingner Verdura; Your choice: A three way tie between Montblanc Irish Green, Sailor Tokiwa Matsu and Rohrer & Klinger Alt-Greengrun

(there were 24 different green inks posted)

Turquoise: My choice: Waterman South Seas (aka Inspired Blue); Your choice: Noodler's Navajo Turquoise with a close second None

(there were 18 different turquoise inks posted)

Brown: My choice: Waterman Absolute Brown; Your choice: Waterman Absolute Brown (aka Havana Brown)

(there were 19 different brown inks posted)

Orange: My choice: Noodler's Apache Sunset; Your choice: Noodler's Apache Sunset

(there were 17 different orange inks posted)

Red/Pink/Burgundy: My choice: Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Bordeaux; Your choice: Diamine Red Dragon

(there were 26 different orange inks posted)

In my little assessment above, I did lumped the sub categories that you created into the "main" category (ie. blue blacks into Blue; red-violet into Purple, etc.). While I do appreciate all of the sub categories, for the purpose listed in my original post, I preferred to stay with the 7 categories.

I have learned an awful lot about you. I learned that ink colors are highly individualistic. No one had the same list. The highest number of people that agreed on one ink was 7 (for Aurora Black). The Blue and Green categories had the greatest variety of responses. Also, I noticed that perception is vastly different. For example, some people listed a "turquoise" ink in the Blue category and vice versa. The same is true for Orange and Brown. And, in some cases, the same could be said of Purples versus Red/pink/burgundy.

I also really appreciated the many suggestions that I got - from purchasing the entire 15ml set of Pilot Iro. inks to purchasing mixing powders and inks. I didn't even know about the existence of mixing powders. Also, I learned about Callifolio pouches.

But, the one suggestion I really liked was to purchase smaller brown bottles and dispense a smaller amount of my inks in them, so that I can take more variety of colors/inks with me. But that suggestion leaves me almost back to square one - which ones do I take? And, now there are so many others that I want to buy because of your posts.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Also, I had one suggestion to start a similar thread about pens. Dare I do such?

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I do think I should defend my inky honor and point out that when I said to buy the entire Iro line up, it was the tiny bottles that take up less room than 7 bottles of ink.

I believe your "inky honor" will always be without dispute!

I believe your "inky honor" will always be without dispute!

LOL

< snip >

Good one, I've not heard "deminjohn" in conversation this century.

OFF TOPIC

Hi,

The last time I used "carboy" resulted in Ajay Singh, The Overlord of Madam's Transport, being summoned. That was profoundly embarrassing for all. :o

Kindly advise should there be a 21st Century word that may be used - I always seek to enlarge my meager vocabulary. :)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

OFF TOPIC

Hi,

The last time I used "carboy" resulted in Ajay Singh, The Overlord of Madam's Transport, being summoned. That was profoundly embarrassing for all. :o

Kindly advise should there be a 21st Century word that may be used - I always seek to enlarge my meager vocabulary. :)

Bye,

S1

Both are essentially traveling inkpots for people: our communicative medium is likely to pick up some new color.

Edited by Morrighan

Black: Noodler's

Bl/Blk: Lamy

Blue: Noodler's

Red: Oxblood

Teal/Turquoise: Yama Dori

I do not use orange, pink, purple, brown or green inks, currently.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

My color spectrum is um.. special.

• Black: J Herbin Perle Noire
  • Dark Blue: Diamine Majestic Blue or Private Reserve Electric DC Blue sometimes
  • Pure Blue: Visconti Blue
  • Cyan Pilot Iroshizuku Kon Peki
  • Super Special Blue Teal: Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo
  • Teal: Sailor Jentle Yama Dori
  • Green: R&K Alt Goldgrun
  • Deep Dark Warm Brown: Private Reserve Chocolat
  • Deep Dark Brown: R&K Sepia
  • Brown: Noodler's Kiowa Pecan
  • Orange: J Herbin Amber of Birmanie
  • Red: Diamine Oxblood (It's the only red and it doesn't satisfy me as THE red)
  • Purple: De Atramentis Aubergine
Edited by eloquentogre

For today (and today only),

Black: Noodler's Raven
Blue: Diamine Blue Velvet

Blue-Black: Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-Kai
Purple: R&K Scabiosa
Green: J. Herbin Vert Empire
Turquoise: Waterman Inspired Blue
Brown: Diamine Ancient Copper
Orange: Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-Gaki
Red/Pink/Burgundy: Diamine Syrah