My White Pen Collection Is Slowly Coming Along...

denbuh

Here is a pic of my very small white pen collection.

post-118151-0-96309900-1440633760_thumb.jpg

Even though it is not large, I am still oh so proud of it! I just added the Pelikan M400 White Tortoise today and have yet to ink it up. I am still a fountain pen noob, but it didn't take me long to realize that I am quite drawn to white pens. There is a lovely elegance about white, and it also seems to be the ultimate blank canvas for my rapidly growing ink obsession. Any ink looks good coming out of a white pen!

Do you have any favorite white pens in your collection or on your wishlist?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• denbuh

• ac12

• Waltz For Zizi

• Ed_Usinowicz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing like a clean, white pen. Of course, they tend to show ink quickly. I only have one, but it's the one white pen I was hunting.

fpn_1439040822__p8082044.jpg

There are 3 approaches to collecting

#1 - Quantity, LOTS of pens

#2 - Quality, a few GOOD pens

#3 - a blend of the above

I can tell you, your Pelikan is the equivalent of several/many of my pens put together.

I am kinda getting into white pens. But have not quite started collecting them.

But like all my type/finish pens, do I store them together as a group, or as I do with the primary grouping by brand? Right now my flighters are all mixed in with the different brands. It would be cool to have enough duplicates that I could have a separate flighter collection. I am afraid the white pens would suffer the same fate.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Nothing like a clean, white pen. Of course, they tend to show ink quickly. I only have one, but it's the one white pen I was hunting.

fpn_1439040822__p8082044.jpg

:puddle:

www.SFPenShow.com

Nice theme collection. Nice pens.

I have the White Tortoise M400, which I bought from a member with the screen name of Big Al. I couldn't resist it because we had called my father "Big Al."

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Oh Ishmael...that is one lovely catch! :)

There are 3 approaches to collecting

#1 - Quantity, LOTS of pens

#2 - Quality, a few GOOD pens

#3 - a blend of the above

I can tell you, your Pelikan is the equivalent of several/many of my pens put together.

I am kinda getting into white pens. But have not quite started collecting them.

But like all my type/finish pens, do I store them together as a group, or as I do with the primary grouping by brand? Right now my flighters are all mixed in with the different brands. It would be cool to have enough duplicates that I could have a separate flighter collection. I am afraid the white pens would suffer the same fate.

Yes, the M400 is far and away my most expensive pen and I saved for a long time to get it (the last pen I purchased was in December and that was the white with rose gold TWSBI mini). The funny thing about this picture is that this is almost my entire collection of pens! The only other pens that I have in my collection are a shimmering sands Jinhao x750, a Kaweco mint skyline sport, and a vintage Montblanc 254 (a gift from my grandmother - I wrote about it here and here). In terms of my pen collecting, I think I am currently at #3 and headed towards #2. I don't have too many pens on my wishlist and I don't see that changing much. I do want to add a VP to my collection and the violet custom 74. However, that may change if I get some great suggestions here!

Yes, the M400 is far and away my most expensive pen and I saved for a long time to get it (the last pen I purchased was in December and that was the white with rose gold TWSBI mini). The funny thing about this picture is that this is almost my entire collection of pens! The only other pens that I have in my collection are a shimmering sands Jinhao x750, a Kaweco mint skyline sport, and a vintage Montblanc 254 (a gift from my grandmother - I wrote about it here and here).

In terms of my pen collecting, I think I am currently at #3 and headed towards #2. I don't have too many pens on my wishlist and I don't see that changing much. I do want to add a VP to my collection and the violet custom 74. However, that may change if I get some great suggestions here!

We are nothing if not enablers. ;)

If you get into collecting something like Esterbrook J series. Then is it all colors (6; black, red, copper, green, blue, gray) of all types (at least 4; transitional, J, LJ, SJ) which would be 24 pens, or just a single color of each type which would be 4 pens. I chose ALL. One can go nuts in this collecting business.

www.SFPenShow.com

Your collection is 2 times the size of mine! (If you can call 2 pens a collection!) I have a white Tortoise & a white Caran D'Ache Leman. I thought I wanted the orange one BUT decided upon the white after realising I had a "goodly" number of orange pens already. It was my 1st but that Pelikan "called to me" & I have NEVER been sorry for answering that call! Keep up the joy of adding pens that appeal to you.

We are nothing if not enablers. ;)

If you get into collecting something like Esterbrook J series. Then is it all colors (6; black, red, copper, green, blue, gray) of all types (at least 4; transitional, J, LJ, SJ) which would be 24 pens, or just a single color of each type which would be 4 pens. I chose ALL. One can go nuts in this collecting business.

WOW! That sounds like one impressive collection! I would love to see a pic of that. I am going to do my best to keep my collection to a reasonable amount, but one never knows what the future may hold!

Your collection is 2 times the size of mine! (If you can call 2 pens a collection!) I have a white Tortoise & a white Caran D'Ache Leman. I thought I wanted the orange one BUT decided upon the white after realising I had a "goodly" number of orange pens already. It was my 1st but that Pelikan "called to me" & I have NEVER been sorry for answering that call! Keep up the joy of adding pens that appeal to you.

Oh, I know what that calling sounds like! The white tortoise was the very first fountain that I saw that made me want a fountain pen, if that makes sense. The time was last fall, I had just been doing some research on how to improve my handwriting. I ran across a few posts online that recommended using fountain pens...a few clicks later and I ended up on Gourmet Pen's blog and I saw her banner at the top of her blog and my breath was taken away. I searched her blog to find out what pen that was and right then and there I knew that I just had to have one. I would have acquired it earlier, but along the way of saving my pennies, I was distracted by other more affordable pens that I took a fancy to. I am just so happy that this day has come! I am pretty sure the man at the post office thought I was high on something because I was a giddy mess when I went there to pick it up!

Have you seen the Lamy Dialog 3 in Piano White? You're welcome.

http://www.writeherekitenow.co.uk/acatalog/Lamy%20Dialog%203%20Banner.png

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

Your collection is beautiful. For some reason I have always loved white pens. It's very sad to me that most pens do not come in white....especially my favorites, which for the most part are Japanese. I would love to own some Japanese pens in white (like a nice 3776) but the Japanese don't make too many pens in this color. Not sure why...perhaps because white is their color for death and funerals?

Edited by httpmom

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

http://www.writeherekitenow.co.uk/acatalog/Lamy%20Dialog%203%20Banner.png

II have admired this pen but I think it is just to big for my small hands. It's a thing of beauty, however. Edited by httpmom

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

Great collection- fantastic pens and focus.

There is a huge range to choose from. Top end the MB Ghandi and Messian porcelain and Tribute pens right through to a Lamy safari ( in gloss/matte/different colour clips). I think a Faber Castel Loom or a Pelikan 200 "storm trooper" might good next targets for you... 😊

They look great together! I quite like the look of white pens, too, but what I like most about them is how they age and get grubby over time. I have a Staedtler Initium in white maple that I've intentionally stained with inky fingerprints.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/thegrynne/FountainPenNetwork/743DCDA5-7A1A-478D-A867-43470D9E4057_zpsyw31vg3d.jpg

The Pilot Prera comes in a lovely Ivory that would look right at home in your collection.

They look great together! I quite like the look of white pens, too, but what I like most about them is how they age and get grubby over time. I have a Staedtler Initium in white maple that I've intentionally stained with inky fingerprints.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/thegrynne/FountainPenNetwork/743DCDA5-7A1A-478D-A867-43470D9E4057_zpsyw31vg3d.jpg

The Pilot Prera comes in a lovely Ivory that would look right at home in your collection.

…something wrong with my eyesight? I don`t see a white pen nor a wooden section in the picture ;)

…something wrong with my eyesight? I don`t see a white pen nor a wooden section in the picture ;)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/thegrynne/FountainPenNetwork/5A800358-1E5D-44B1-9AD5-B7CAC40885C8_zpswcq9hz6d.jpg

Here's a better photo of it. And this is what it looks like new.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/thegrynne/FountainPenNetwork/889SBTjtsunj_zpsz667rjuc.png

I love white pens too.

Other good (cheaper) white pens:

Lamy Safari white

Pilot Prera white (solid)

Pelikan M205 white

I just did a search to look at the Prera, and I can't believe that I had not considered it before...it is quite a nice looking pen. It also comes in some other great colors...I may need more than one! When it came to Pelikans, I had quite the tunnel vision on the white tortoise, but now that I have one and I am enjoying writing with it oh so much, I think there will be more acquisitions in my future! Thanks for the suggestions!

Wow!! I am not much of a fan of the Safari, so because of that, I have not spent much time looking into the Lamy brand...perhaps I should reconsider.

Your collection is beautiful. For some reason I have always loved white pens. It's very sad to me that most pens do not come in white....especially my favorites, which for the most part are Japanese. I would love to own some Japanese pens in white (like a nice 3776) but the Japanese don't make too many pens in this color. Not sure why...perhaps because white is their color for death and funerals?

Thank you! I agree with you, I too am sad that most pens do not come in white. I left a comment on a Goulet Pens youtube video about why he doesn't carry more white pen, and he mentioned that they don't sell very well. I thought that was a little odd since I love them some much, but then I settled on the fact that I must be an anomaly. Glad to hear that I am not alone in my love for white pens! Oooh, the 3776 would look lovely in white. Since they currently don't make one, I would be fine settling for the Nice demonstrator. ;)

Great collection- fantastic pens and focus.

There is a huge range to choose from. Top end the MB Ghandi and Messian porcelain and Tribute pens right through to a Lamy safari ( in gloss/matte/different colour clips). I think a Faber Castel Loom or a Pelikan 200 "storm trooper" might good next targets for you... 😊

Excellent suggestions! After I watched The Pen Habit's glowing review of the Loom, I started to look at them more seriously. I would love to add the Piano white to my collection. I would happily deal with the issue of fingerprints on the barrel because that super shiny barrel paired with the white is just stunning. I wouldn't object to having the piano plum either!

So, I had to look up what the "storm trooper" pen was...love it!! Black and white are a classic combination, but I haven't seen this combo done often in pens. I quite like it.

I am quite the opposite...I like to keep mine pristine and white. I have no problems filling mine with a syringe just to keep them clean..worth it to me, HOWEVER, I love the look of your aged and inky pen!! It is truly one of a kind!

You might enjoy the Faber Castell Ondoro which sometimes is on sale around $100. I have it in the orange body & like it's looks. It is six sided & has a polished steel cap & looks very "clean." I like very broad nibs & was disappointed with the stock B nib which is more pretty "scant." A very "nice" nib just not as broad as I had hoped. I bought mine after watching SBRE Brown review it.

There aren't certainly as many white pens as unfortunately there are black ones BUT they ARE out there. There was an Omas 360 on the Classifieds here (maybe yesterday?) but unfortunately it was only offered for delivery in India! It was certainly a very reasonable price & would be a nice addition to a "white" collection.