Platinum 3776 Or Lamy 2000

christian1122

Lamy 2000. It can be tossed around, it has good ink capacity, it's piston filler, it's durable and well built. Platinum 3776 is comfortabl;e and have great nibs but if I was asked to choose just one I would choose Lamy 2000 without hesitation.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian C

• Sergio 46

• christian1122

• graystranger

If the Platinum 3776 had a weight increased by 20 g, it would be for my taste the best choice ; that's the reason why I prefer the Lamy EF in Stainless steel.

While I don't own a Lamy 2000, I do have a #3776 which, to my mind, is the best value on the market for a gold-nibbed pen, if bought direct from Japan. That said, the Lamy 2000 does have a much larger ink capacity and the makrolon (which is lighter than the brushed metal version) will take more abuse and is a snap off cap, unlike the 3776 which is a screw cap. I would also say, I've hesitated buying the 2000, because I have a smaller 'woman's' hand. This may or may not enter into your consideration. I don't know if you like to switch out inks a lot. If you do, I've found a converter-filled pen is easier to clean and rapidly switch. Since you're a student, with probable long note taking ahead, a big ink capacity would be be more important. Up to you! If You're already hooked, eventually you will have one of both! Enjoy your year!

Edited by eyesa

Have you looked at the Pilot VP? A lot of students use it for note taking as there is no cap with witch one has to manage.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

i looked around and saw the waterman carene. it looks amazing but i heard that people had problems with it.

does that happen a lot? and how does it compare to the lamy 2000?

I have all three pens. I got the Carene in F in 2009 and used it at work daily. Still using it today, even though retired. Great pen, never had any problems at all after all these years. Capped - it can go a long time without drying out. in 2013 I bought the 2000 in F. Wonderful pen, rugged, looks just like new after two years. I carry it when I go out along with a Pilot Vanishing Point. I've had the 3776 Century for three months now and love it very much. Classic, beautiful, writes wonderfully. All three are wonderful writing pens. Like the 2000, the Waterman Carene is a snap cap. I don't post it, cap is a bit heavy. Sometimes I post the 2000, sometimes I don't.

The 3776 is in M, which is equal to the Waterman F. My 2000 was dropped and lightly bent one tine. After straightening and aligning the tines it writes broader. I like that, very dark line and use it for checks and other things where I want a wider line than the 3776.

So, no problems ever with any of these pens. I'm re-filling cartridges from bottles for the Carene and 3776. The Carene is very modern looking, slim, lovely in amber shimmer. Dropped it on a carpeted floor once and the tip of the barrel got pressed in. So perfectly uniform that it looks like it was made that way, just a tiny flat to the tip that wasn't there before. The Carene is brass cap and barrel, beautifully machined, and heavier than the other two.

I love all three. However, for an EDC, take anywhere pen, it would probably be the 2000 for its rugged nearly indestructible design. A few scratches in the Carene, but still looks great after 5-1/2 years. The 3776 I love too, so classic and wonderful gold nib. If writing for long periods of time I would probably choose it over the other two.

Sorry I'm not much help, but these are my thoughts. By the way, all three nibs were very smooth and perfect writers with a multitude of inks. None of theme are sensitive to inks from what I've experienced, And, the Carene went a year or two in every day office use without being cleaned out or flushed. By the way, the Carene's 18k gold nib is quite stiff, partly because it is an inlaid nib. Let us know what you decide.

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Have both, sold both. I will take a Pelikan 400 or 400NN instead :D

Between the 3776 and 2000, i would take the 2000 for serious writing sessions. Piston filler, more ink, semi hood nib, built like a tank, and not so flashy.

3776 is a good pen, but in my opinion, it ia not on the same level with the 2000 when look at everyday-carry aspect.

Great discussion on two outstanding pens with some great advocacy.

I find the L2K to be heavy and wide. Although the piston filling is flawless and the nib is reliable, I also don't care for the metal section and the small metal tabs that click the cap into place. The L2k is one of my least used pens.

On the other hand, I like the Platinum #3776 series. The pens are light, the nibs are excellent, and they simply write. The cap mechanism is outstanding and allows me to use my nano pigment inks in these pens without a single concern. i enjoy the feedback of the Platinum nib on paper. I get a feel for the words and the contact of my thoughts as lines become sentences and paragraphs. I can comfortably journal with a Platinum and easily use the pen through meetings or office work. I like modern Japanese pens, and Platinum earned its place in the Big 3.

Buzz

My 3776 in Bourgogne M is on its way from Japan. Bought from rakuten the pen is roughly half the cost of an L2K. Thats a great price for a pen that has got serious praise. You can get both the Bourgogne and the Chartres Blue for the price of one L2K.

For me the metal section on the L2K was a put off.

A lifelong FP user...

I have all 3 pens and really like the Carene and the 3776 but do not like the feel of the material the Lamy 2000 is made. The Lamy has a very smooth, reliable nib and a terrific piston fill but I cannot get over my dislike for the material it was constructed out of. Consequently, the Lamy spends all its time in my pen chest.

I use both the 3776 and the Carene regularly. Both also have terrific nibs and are very smooth. The Carene feels like a more expensive pen but I prefer the lighter weight of the 3776. If you buy direct from Japan, the 3776 is my recommendation unless you prefer heavier pens, then I would definitely go with the Carene.

The Lamy 2000 piston filler really smooth writer and is as tough as an old boot so it will take a lot punishment and still perform well.

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς