Platinum 3776 Or Lamy 2000

christian1122

i am a student and i want to buy a new pen to take notes. the Platinum 3776 and Lamy 2000 are both great pens that pretty much everyone likes. but i was wondering which one would be better for me? i like the hooded nib because in between taking notes the nibs sometimes dries out so i wouldn't have that with the lamy 2000, but i heard that the Platinum 3776 is a little smoother.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian C

• Sergio 46

• christian1122

• PAKMAN

Both are excellent pens, your decision should be on which one you like better for your own reasons.

I have tried the Platinum pens at shops, didn't buy one. But they wrote very well.

I have a Lamy 2000 Broad that I converted to an Italic Fine. It is one of my best note-taking pens, keep it filled with Noodler's Black. Always ready to go, always starts easily and writes well.

I would choose the Lamy over the Platinum. But I know of many writers that would choose the Platinum. So, sorry, no help for selection. Don't think you will go wrong with either one.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

If you need a very fine nib, then go with the Platinum. A Platinum F, for example, produces a line much finer than a Lamy EF. Otherwise, I would go with the Lamy. I have both and if I could only keep one it would be the Lamy 2k, hands down.

I have and love both. The 2000 holds more ink and is easier to cap and upcap for note taking in my opinion.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have both as well, but might lean toward the 3776 for extended note taking. As has been mentioned, it tens to have a wider "sweet spot" of smoothness than the 2000, and I find the less tapered section easier to hold for extended periods. Also, the 3776 Century has a very reliable slip-seal cap that keeps the nib ready to write over long periods, over a year in my experience, which may not be relevant for your use.

The larger ink supply and near-indestrutabilty, on the other hand, argue for the Lamy. So, close call, but for me the 3776.

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

Lamy. More durable, higher ink capacity.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I have one Platinum 3776 in EF and two Lamy 2000 EF , one in Makrolon, the second in Stainless steel, and frankly, If I had to choose between the very fine lines of the 3776 and the nice ink flow of the 2000, I believe that I would take the Lamy 2K, and the one in stainless steel, because i like heavy pens!

But it is just a question of personal and subjective preference .

If you go through 3rd party Amazon sellers or eBay, you can probably get the 3776 for a lower price, even though you could end up having to buy the converter separately. You can get deals on the Lamy on Amazon, too, and of course it doesn't take a converter.

I have two 3776s, one in fine, one in medium. I had to tweak the nibs on both slightly, aligning the tines on the fine, slightly spreading them on both, but they both write very smoothly now. In between, I ordered another one in which the nib and feed were way too loose, and simply fell out during the initial cleaning, but I was able to send it back to Amazon for a full refund including return shipping. My Lamy 2000, with a fine nib, wrote perfectly out of the box, but of course that's a sample of one.

I'd probably go with the Lamy in the O.P.'s situation, partly because of the quicker capping and uncapping, partly because of the unobtrusive looks. One advantage of the 3776, though, is that you could carry cartridges as emergency refills. With the piston filled Lamy, you'd have to keep track of the ink level. The ink window is some help in this regard, and you could carry an ink bottle in a book bag, maybe inside its own zip-lock bag. ;)

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I have a Lamy 2000 in M and two 3776, one broad, one coarse (double broad). I like them all, but I think I probably love the Lamy best. Plus, it's iconic and everyone should have one! :)

I have both and would choose the Lamy. While I use both at home, it's the Lamy that I take with me whenever I go out. It holds up really, really well compared to the 3776, which in my experience is more prone to scratches. The surface on the 3776 is just a little too delicate for me - there are scratches on mine even though I've been very careful with it. With the Lamy, on the other hand, I can toss it in my bag and not worry about it. So that's something to consider. I also found the Lamy to be exceptionally smooth right out of the box. Of course, YMMV.

well...there are other options also availabe to you like sailor, pilot CH 74 & Pilot CH 92.

"Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for, no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.”
- Osho

i looked around and saw the waterman carene. it looks amazing but i heard that people had problems with it.

does that happen a lot? and how does it compare to the lamy 2000?

Any chance of writing with the pens? I have both and like both but can not give an objective evaluation of one over the other - they both appeal to different moods for me.

If you want easy capping and uncapping for taking notes, there's one Platinum 3776 which has a slip-on cap, the 'ribbed' version. All the others are screw-on.

My selection of 3776s and Lamys has given me a feel that the Platinums tend to be on the drier side, the Lamy a bit of a gusher - the Lamy better for broader nibs, the Platinums good at medium and fine. I do enjoy having both.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Lamy 2000.

The Platinum 3776 is a lovely pen but it feels more fragile and holds less ink. In my experience the Lamy has the smoother nib (the Platinum can be sharp on the paper and give a lot more feedback as you go down in size), but I honestly struggled to see any difference whatsoever between the fine and medium on the Lamy.

I have and love both. The 2000 holds more ink and is easier to cap and upcap for note taking in my opinion.

+1

I think the 3776 is not only the best value pen out there, but one of the best pens period. I would use the 3776 and just use cartridges, if you want to refill the cartridges yourself just get a syringe.

Lamy 2000 blows the 3776 out of the water in my opinion. Piston fill, better nib, high quality / durable feel, more unique iconic design, better weight and balance. The 3776 bourgogne I bought felt cheap in comparison.

The Lamy is the better choice for daily use but I'd keep the Platinum on your short list. It's a great value and for the price I'm not aware of anything that provides that premium nib writing experience under the $200 range. I'm not crazy about the bland style of the #3776 but that ceases to matter as soon as I start writing with it. It's amazing in my opinion.

It's my opinion(not that it matters terribly) every serious FP person should own both. The 3776 is a remarkable pen, especially if you purchase it from Japan direct at a lower price. That said, the 2000 is a perfect choice for 'taking with' as it's more durable and holds a lot of ink. Since you will be taking notes and knocking it around a bit, the 2000 might be the more obvious choice. The Lamy also has a sleek sophisticated handsome look. To me, each pen has it's own unique qualities (very much like cars). As has been said,both are great pens.

An aside, the person who mentioned the 3776 felt cheap, I understand what you mean and I prefer to call it 'fragile' because I love the nib so much...therefore it stays at my desk where I keep it in safe regular rotation. Aesthetically, it's a very boring. It's also the reason I have the 'celluloid' version on my short list...it's a 3776 with a beautiful body and can be had from Japan for $185.

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."