• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• subbu68

• perfaddict

• gylyf

Very nice review. I have it in M nib, I should have gotten an F. But a great writer nonetheless. No hard starting even with Akkerman Shocking Blue.

Aris

Very nice review. I have it in M nib, I should have gotten an F. But a great writer nonetheless. No hard starting even with Akkerman Shocking Blue.

Aris

Thank you so much Aris. I usually fill a drier pelikan 4001 ink with this pen, gives a thinner line.

Regards,

Sonik

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

Great review as usual. Hope my daughter does not see this as she is mad about blue ;)

One data you could add to the dimensions is the section diameter.

Regards

Subramoniam

Great review as usual. Hope my daughter does not see this as she is mad about blue ;)

One data you could add to the dimensions is the section diameter.

Thanks Subbu for the useful suggestion. I will include the girth in my next reviews. Ha ha.. better close this window :) or you can gift her a blue prera later.

For m6xx its usually 1.1 cm

Ha ha.. better close this window :) or you can gift her a blue prera later.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

My daughter already 'stole' quite a few blue ones from me. a shiny blue Lamy Al Star I got for myself though she had her own Purple Al Star, a blue Lamy Safari that I got for me with her purple Al Star, then blue swirl Wality 69T as well as a purple swirl, blue Jinhao (Safari like), a blue Inoxcrom ...... Have to give in to her smile and happiness when she gets the pen she likes. She's a fan of Rajasthan Royals (IPL Team) that have blue jerseys.

Edited by subbu68

Regards

Subramoniam

Sorry to hijack your thread.

My daughter already 'stole' quite a few blue ones from me. a shiny blue Lamy Al Star I got for myself though she had her own Purple Al Star, a blue Lamy Safari that I got for me with her purple Al Star, then blue swirl Wality 69T as well as a purple swirl, blue Jinhao (Safari like), a blue Inoxcrom ...... Have to give in to her smile and happiness when she gets the pen she likes. She's a fan of Rajasthan Royals (IPL Team) that have blue jerseys.

Sweet story :D

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the pictures.

the M605 is shown with 14 karat nib. I have seen one with a 18 karat nib (perhaps older inventory)

is 18 preferable to 14 karats?

Andy

Thanks for the pictures.

the M605 is shown with 14 karat nib. I have seen one with a 18 karat nib (perhaps older inventory)

is 18 preferable to 14 karats?

Andy

I would pick up the m6xx with the older 18k nib, if I were you.

There is quite a thread on the older nibs here :)

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoyed the review, but take issue with one point. If the pen is available for as little as 60%, why lower its score in the value category? It rated 6/6, and is available for 60%. Value must 6/6 also. A second point repeated in the responses was that many do not use their most precious pens. I carry my best, and enjoy every minute I use them. I won't buy some "workhorse" when I can use an exquisite Pelikan. I have several and use them regularly. I rarely allow someone to use them, but I do explain why. Every stroke is a joy. I won't keep that on a shelf. I usually have Pendleton Brown italicize every nib, except some of my vintage ones. The enjoyment is even greater.

This is an excellent review. I especially like the pictures of the nib! I got my first Marine in 2014 with an EF nib which I subsequently had reground by Masuyama to a true EF. He did an excellent job.

Years later, I've ordered my second Marine from Japan. In truth, I just wanted the somewhat wider original Pelikan nib which has grown on me ... it writes with a nice, generous ink flow that leaves room for ink shading. Since the nibs are no longer available on their own, I had to order an entire pen. I'm going with an F this time, thinking that the models exported to Japan have slightly finer nibs (this is a hunch ... a M605 EF from Singapore is my currently finest original Pelikan nib).

This particular model has both an unexpected beauty and simplicity. I'll report back when my new pen arrives!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 2 months later...

Enjoyed the review, but take issue with one point. If the pen is available for as little as 60%, why lower its score in the value category? It rated 6/6, and is available for 60%. Value must 6/6 also. A second point repeated in the responses was that many do not use their most precious pens. I carry my best, and enjoy every minute I use them. I won't buy some "workhorse" when I can use an exquisite Pelikan. I have several and use them regularly. I rarely allow someone to use them, but I do explain why. Every stroke is a joy. I won't keep that on a shelf. I usually have Pendleton Brown italicize every nib, except some of my vintage ones. The enjoyment is even greater.

I completely agree with you on the value category. The comparison in my humble opinion is basis the MSRP + the availability of other pens at lower price points with gold nibs. Of course as you have rightly mentioned, the joy is to be experienced by writing and the pen is inked on rotation along with other beauties. However, I do use certain pens exclusively at home (do not carry them to work) due to obvious reasons.

This is an excellent review. I especially like the pictures of the nib! I got my first Marine in 2014 with an EF nib which I subsequently had reground by Masuyama to a true EF. He did an excellent job.

Years later, I've ordered my second Marine from Japan. In truth, I just wanted the somewhat wider original Pelikan nib which has grown on me ... it writes with a nice, generous ink flow that leaves room for ink shading. Since the nibs are no longer available on their own, I had to order an entire pen. I'm going with an F this time, thinking that the models exported to Japan have slightly finer nibs (this is a hunch ... a M605 EF from Singapore is my currently finest original Pelikan nib).

This particular model has both an unexpected beauty and simplicity. I'll report back when my new pen arrives!

Thank you Calabria. Hope your pen has arrived :) and you are enjoying the Japanese version.

Is the nib width from the 605 F is finer than the usual European one?