Something Nice For You?

Bklyn

Being somewhat new to FPN, I happened to come across a member who liked inks that are similar to the ones I like. (Wet and red)

On a lark, she sent me a wonderful note with 12 samples and each of them labeled as well as a handwritten explanation of each one and what she liked more and less. I was so touched by this lovely gesture.

As a bit of a thank you, I intend to send her a book entitled Losing Mum and Pup which is a wonderful book by Christopher Buckley that discusses the loss of his mom and dad in a one year period of time. It is funny and it is haunting and it just great. (I hope that she likes it as a token thank you)

Did anyone here on FPN ever doing anything nice for you?

Love to hear your story.

Best to all for a good rest of the summer.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bklyn

• inkstainedruth

• fountainpagan

• Cryptos

I won a PIF of from ScienceChick and she sent me extra inks, one of them has become a favorite of mine!

Pop Tarts and gravy, It's whats for breakfast.

FarmBoy has been a mentor to me in fixing my pens, learning pen repairs and collecting pens.

His advice and help has been of HUGE value.

And like the lowly student, I am slowly learning. I think I graduated kindergarten and am into 1st grade.

Following the old saying "the more you know, the more you know you don't know. I've got a LONG LONG way to go.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Apart from the daily information I (hopefully!) absorb, newly discovered pens & inks, with the appropriate tips to achieve their best performance I was the happy recipient of a bottle of Akkerman ink from HalloweenHJB during his ink "housecleaning." And it is true that we all enjoy different things because it has been an enjoyable color for me. Several purchases from the Classifieds here have provided the elusive ink or pen & all have been enjoyable purchases. I can actually say I doubt I would have purchased ANY of my pens & perhaps inks if I had not had the availability of the reviews here. So I really must thank everyone for "contributing to my delinquency!"

I have had stuff gifted to me by Kestrel (two cartridges of PPS), Fabienne (a bottle of Noodler's La Couleur Royale) and Cardboard Tube (a Parker 45 with an OM nib). Also a couple of pens from Uncle Red (but those were in person, because I've known him a really long time -- way before *either* of us were in this hobby, I suspect).

Why? Just because....

And a complete replacement shipment of some IG inks I ordered from Pharmacist, when one of the bottles cracked in transit and leaked. The entire shipment. Not just the one broken bottle....

I've also gotten huge amounts of assistance and advice on pens and pen purchases from a number of people, most particularly OcalaFlGuy, who walked me through the minefields of Ebay when I first went on the hunt for a Parker 51 -- helping me scope out decent prices, coaching me in the questions to ask, etc.

This place just rocks!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Apologies in advance to anyone/everyone else if I've forgotten to mention them....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

As if the knowledge everyone contributes isn't enough, I've been gifted a medium nibbed Parker 45 by very generous member here (don't know how he would feel about being named, so I'll omit that detail). It has become one of my favorite pens and just last night I was on eBay looking at another one with a fine nib.

Amberleadavis has also been great to deal with when I borrowed her TWSBI Vac700, if that counts.

I won a PIF of from ScienceChick and she sent me extra inks, one of them has become a favorite of mine!

I LOVE those samples. (Pop tarts and gravy? This might be worth a try...)

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

FarmBoy has been a mentor to me in fixing my pens, learning pen repairs and collecting pens.

His advice and help has been of HUGE value.

And like the lowly student, I am slowly learning. I think I graduated kindergarten and am into 1st grade.

Following the old saying "the more you know, the more you know you don't know. I've got a LONG LONG way to go.

Farmboy sounds like a great person!

Apart from the daily information I (hopefully!) absorb, newly discovered pens & inks, with the appropriate tips to achieve their best performance I was the happy recipient of a bottle of Akkerman ink from HalloweenHJB during his ink "housecleaning." And it is true that we all enjoy different things because it has been an enjoyable color for me. Several purchases from the Classifieds here have provided the elusive ink or pen & all have been enjoyable purchases. I can actually say I doubt I would have purchased ANY of my pens & perhaps inks if I had not had the availability of the reviews here. So I really must thank everyone for "contributing to my delinquency!"

I am quickly becoming a delinquent myself!

I have had stuff gifted to me by Kestrel (two cartridges of PPS), Fabienne (a bottle of Noodler's La Couleur Royale) and Cardboard Tube (a Parker 45 with an OM nib). Also a couple of pens from Uncle Red (but those were in person, because I've known him a really long time -- way before *either* of us were in this hobby, I suspect).

Why? Just because....

And a complete replacement shipment of some IG inks I ordered from Pharmacist, when one of the bottles cracked in transit and leaked. The entire shipment. Not just the one broken bottle....

I've also gotten huge amounts of assistance and advice on pens and pen purchases from a number of people, most particularly OcalaFlGuy, who walked me through the minefields of Ebay when I first went on the hunt for a Parker 51 -- helping me scope out decent prices, coaching me in the questions to ask, etc.

This place just rocks!

ETA: Apologies in advance to anyone/everyone else if I've forgotten to mention them....

You are right. this place ROCKS.

As if the knowledge everyone contributes isn't enough, I've been gifted a medium nibbed Parker 45 by very generous member here (don't know how he would feel about being named, so I'll omit that detail). It has become one of my favorite pens and just last night I was on eBay looking at another one with a fine nib.

Amberleadavis has also been great to deal with when I borrowed her TWSBI Vac700, if that counts.

That is a great story and to have a pen lent out to you certainly counts.

I have been fortunate enough to have been a recipient on a couple of occasions - I won't mention names, they know who they are and they know how appreciative I was and still am. I have been even more fortunate to be able to be a donor a few times too. This, in my opinion, is what makes a community work - a sense of sharing.

@inkedstainedruth, how did you get on with the OM nib on the 45? I hope it wasn't too much of a handful. :)

.@inkedstainedruth, how did you get on with the OM nib on the 45? I hope it wasn't too much of a handful. :)

No, but I haven't yet found an ink that it really takes to. Noodler's Blue Upon the Plains of Abraham was an interesting color, but way too dry an ink. And Iroshihzuku Yama-budo wasn't as good as I expected. Thinking I might try the new Monteverde ink that was swag at DCSS this year next -- it's pretty wet. And putting BUtPoA into the newly tuned Café Crème to tame some of *its* b nib wetness.

I have a vintage Pelikan with an OB nib, so the concept of an oblique nib wasn't a complete surprise -- it was just a bit weird in that it put down a smaller line than I think I was expecting. It seems to be a dry-ish writer.

​Interestingly enough, I was gifted with another pen with a bit of an unusual nib last spring: a Wearever lever-filler with what I *think* is a medium stub on it. And even stranger is that it's a similar shade of blue to the 45. But I just had it re-sacced at DCSS, so the only ink that has been in it so far is Skrip Blue (now diluted with distilled water because I didn't have a lot of time to do a thorough flushing this week -- especially after how long it took to flush the same ink out of an old Parker Challenger, which is my first buttonfiller).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have been generously aided on this overwhelming passion by several members from India, allowing my small collection of indian made pens to seriously increase.

I don't know how they would feel about me giving their names. They know who they are, and how thankful I am towards them, and their aid.

A gifted photographer, member of the FPN, offered me 3 of her artwork photographies of utter beauty. And I cherish them dearly.

Several member exchange with me. We pleasure eachother, allowing mutual access to things we could not get, otherwise.

Tas and Morbus Curiositas offered me samples of impossible to get inks, without me asking. I am very very greatful to them.

It is nice, fun, and extremely rewarding to be able to help, also.

And all the information, tips, laughs, and all good things present here.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

I have been generously aided on this overwhelming passion by several members from India, allowing my small collection of indian made pens to seriously increase.

I don't know how they would feel about me giving their names. They know who they are, and how thankful I am towards them, and their aid.

A gifted photographer, member of the FPN, offered me 3 of her artwork photographies of utter beauty. And I cherish them dearly.

Several member exchange with me. We pleasure eachother, allowing mutual access to things we could not get, otherwise.

Tas and Morbus Curiositas offered me samples of impossible to get inks, without me asking. I am very very greatful to them.

It is nice, fun, and extremely rewarding to be able to help, also.

And all the information, tips, laughs, and all good things present here.

This is the nicest response to a question I have ever received. Genuine thank you my friend.