dvalliere

My A5 never could be the dedicated journal I envisioned. For me, it became my catch-all. This came to include: story ideas, journal entries, keeping track of monthly bills, keeping track of my practical field experience hours, ideas to research, travel ideas, addresses, etc.

I'm toying with the idea now of moving most of those things to several 3.5x5.5" pocket notebooks in a Fauxdori that I'll be more likely to carry with me everywhere I go, and let the A5 in the nice GFeller leather cover go back to being a dedicated journal. I've never done well at keeping separate books, though, so I have a feeling I will end up back at one "brain dump" book. I even stopped carrying my normal pocket notebook when I started carrying my A5 70% of the time, as I couldn't handle my notes being separated. But this led to me being without a notebook 30% of the time (naked, not a good feeling).

Honestly, I think at some point your brain tells you how to best use the tools you give it. When you stop fighting and go with it, the creativity can flow. Some people need 10 books, some need 1. The "brain dump" folks will look at a person with 10 notebooks and not fathom how they can keep it all straight, but the 10 book person looks at the brain dump as an unorganized mess and wonders how they can find anything in there. I think most books will tell you what they're best suited for, if you listen to them. (I used to think people who said things like that were kooks. Now I'm one of them. Go figure.) ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvalliere

• vjones

• Newjelan

• Snoutmol

I started using my first TR Writer notebook gingerly. Now, it's my brain dump notebook for everything that's not recorded electronically (and a few things that are).

As I used it, I found myself going through more pages each day (I number them as I go). I finished my first notebook (started in early September) right around the time my new shipment came in.

Oh, and here's a note about the shipments. AFAIK, Dave (at Nanami) tried to get enough stock to last a couple/few months. This last batch was supposed to last until the end of January, I think. But the popularity of these notebooks is skyrocketing. His entire order sold out in about 5 days. He's posted a note that he'll be getting a smaller shipment in around the end of this month (hopefully). If you're interested, my advice would be to check his site daily. I picked up latest batch on the 2nd day they were back in stock and thought it was a typo when I went back a few days later to discover they were out stock. Perhaps I had just clicked on a page that he hadn't updated since he had restocked.

Nope. They were gone. A sizable shipment, too.

If you like these notebooks - they're replacing everything else I use - check his site daily and have your "order" in mind so you can jump when they're in stock. Just my unsolicited advice. ;)

Cheers.

My ink-swap post(s) become out of date eventually. My signature is always current. If you want to swap some ink, here's what I have: Diamine: Ancient Copper, Oxblood, Poppy Red, Red Dragon, Sherwood Green; Iroshizuku: Kon-peki, Ku-jaku, Take-sumi; Noodlers: 54th Mass, BSB, Purple Martin, X-Feather, Widow Maker; Private Reserve: Blue Suede. I'm partial to highly saturated inks, but am open to suggestions. PM if interested.

They really are a great deal. At $25, they have 150% more writing space than an identically priced Rhodia Webnotebook (240 sheets/480 pages vs 96 sheets/192 pages).

If ghosting is a problem for you and you don't use the backside of each page, you are STILL getting 25% more writing space than the Webnotebook.

Since the Webnotebook has 8mm ruling, you'll actually be fitting more on each page of the Seven Seas 7mm ruled pages (about 14% more per page).

If you use both sides of the page on a Seven Seas Writer and count the additional space freed up by the 7mm vs 8mm lines, it's 185% more notebook for the money making it nearly 1/3 the cost of a Rhodia Webnotebook on a wordcount basis.

If you discount price as a factor, the Design Y journals are so much better. However, they're like comparing apples & oranges. It's all about personal preference & opinion after all.

I love my Design Y journal (the smaller Record 288) and agree with you. In fact, if I don't receive the EP Record for Christmas (I've been hinting. Ahem), I plan on ordering one early next year. That said, they are pricey, and I use a Seven Seas journal for my everyday brain dump.

They Did the Math. Than you, very nice to know. I'm definitely going to get this for my next journal.

Why is it, though, that you can't buy it? On that link you just linked, it says they're back in stock at the top of the page, but when you scroll down you can't add it to your cart?

I started using my first TR Writer notebook gingerly. Now, it's my brain dump notebook for everything that's not recorded electronically (and a few things that are).

As I used it, I found myself going through more pages each day (I number them as I go). I finished my first notebook (started in early September) right around the time my new shipment came in.

Oh, and here's a note about the shipments. AFAIK, Dave (at Nanami) tried to get enough stock to last a couple/few months. This last batch was supposed to last until the end of January, I think. But the popularity of these notebooks is skyrocketing. His entire order sold out in about 5 days. He's posted a note that he'll be getting a smaller shipment in around the end of this month (hopefully). If you're interested, my advice would be to check his site daily. I picked up latest batch on the 2nd day they were back in stock and thought it was a typo when I went back a few days later to discover they were out stock. Perhaps I had just clicked on a page that he hadn't updated since he had restocked.

Nope. They were gone. A sizable shipment, too.

If you like these notebooks - they're replacing everything else I use - check his site daily and have your "order" in mind so you can jump when they're in stock. Just my unsolicited advice. ;)

Cheers.

It's pure conjecture, but a couple of months ago Instagram featured the account of someone who uses a Seven Seas Writer on their blog, which I suspect receives quite a few page views. She now has 50k people following her account.

It's nice to see that fountain pens and good paper are drawing more and more fans.

Edited by Millefleurs

Why is it, though, that you can't buy it? On that link you just linked, it says they're back in stock at the top of the page, but when you scroll down you can't add it to your cart?

The page to which I linked says that it is OUT of stock but that they expect a small stock shipment to arrive on the 28th.

I'm glad I got mine as soon as they came in. It may not be for everyone, but I do like this notebook. I wasn't sure I would, but I do. I'm glad business is going well - maybe they can feel more confident in stocking up to a higher level now. As for me, I probably won't be buying one for another year unless I start writing a whole lot more, which is possible I guess.

I just ordered my first seven seas writer also. Tomoe River is my favorite paper, and I wanted some lined and bound for journaling. So I trust this will be my perfect journal.

J. Burchett
"A pen transmits the voice of the soul" - Fennel Hudson
round-letter-exc.png