The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Damson - Diamine

diamine

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2015 - 20:51

Now based in Liverpool, the history of Diamine dates back to 1864 when the company was founded by T Webster and Co. in London. The business moved to Liverpool in 1925 and T Webster and Co. changed its name to Diamine in 1964.

Diamine now produces one of the largest ranges of fountain pen ink and fountain pen cartridges as well as the famous Registrar's Ink for permanent records. 

DimaineFactory.gif

Diamine offers amazing variety of colors.

Damson is an interesting ink that behaves well on a variety of paper - something I tend to appreciate in inks. It's kind of dusty matte purple, there’s not a ton of shading and there isn’t any sheen I could discern.  The ink dries quickly and it's not water resistant. I quite enjoy it.

Ink splash

xezdDE.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

oIwqPf.jpg

Software ID

OP7GX4.jpg

CIAK, Kaweco Sport Classic, B

se5nNY.jpg

yiGDv1.jpg

B6Zwoa.jpg

Oxford, Kaweco Sport Classic, B

D0g1B4.jpg

7edjY0.jpg

gSivLm.jpg

Copy paper

vOq09t.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2015 - 23:03

And I thank you for this review which has introduced another "purple" to me!

#3 PaperQueen

PaperQueen

Hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2015 - 23:37

Reminds me a bit of J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune, but more saturated. Would that be accurate? 

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...???  : : : sigh : : : 

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

#4 errantmarginalia

errantmarginalia

Généalogue

• Member - Gold

• 2,466 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:25

Thanks for the review. I really like this color, but I found it a little on the dry side when I tried it out in one of my wetter Pelikans.

#5 martinbir

martinbir

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:01

Damson is one of my "nearly" inks. I do like it, I find it an interesting colour which shades nicely but is just a little on the dry side. But there always seems to be another ink I would prefer and the bottle remains quite full.

Unlike many inks, I absolutely see where the name comes from. I does conjure up that dull bloom on a dark skinned fruit such as a plum or damson.

PaperQueen, it is similar to Poussiere de Lune but far less red. And no, the 14 samples are not a problem - I have about 10 (depending on definition) bottles, mainly 30ml, but they are not little samples and none of them are right. Damson and Grape probably comes closest for me, but they are not right. Everything seems either too red or too blue or, even, too brown. But never just right.

#6 Video11

Video11

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2015 - 14:41

One of my favorite inks. Thanks for the review.

Cheers,

Rick

Life Is Not A Rehearsal.

Our Pen Club:  http://londonpenclub.com

Our Facebook:  https://www.facebook...54419004945988/

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,482 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2015 - 16:10

I vastly prefer the color of Damson over Poussiere de Lune.  But, like martinbir said, it's a dry ink, so you need to put it a wet writer.

Thanks for the review.  It made me realize I haven't used Damson for a while.  And now that I've gotten the nib on the Café Crème tuned (and it's apparently writing even wetter) this might be a good ink to pull out for the fall.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• 2,891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2015 - 16:29

Thank you for your excellent review.  I can see the potential for shading with Diamine Damson.

Does anyone have a Damson writing sample written with a wide, edged nib (a stub or a cursive italic)?  That would show of the shading quite dramatically.

I am still looking for a non-IG replacement for R&K Scabiosa & Diamine Damson may be a contender. 

And oh yes! 

I love Damson plum jam.  I just had some this morning on toast, a Damson Plum Jam lovingly made by the Trappist monks of St. Joseph's Abbey in MA.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14c. H-B "M" BLS (PB) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c. (factory) "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#9 rockydoggy

rockydoggy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 19:03

Thanks for this. 

Damson may be the first Diamine ink I ever purchased and it remains a favorite.

#10 eelldan

eelldan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:10

Thank you for the review! This is one nice looking ink. This is going on my to try list!

Check out my blog penrarian.weebly.com!

#11 PaperDarts

PaperDarts

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:51

I agree with the above posters, Damson is more saturated than Poussiere de Lune. I have both and I prefer the Damson, which is one of the inks I'm hoarding at the moment! Thanks for your review, this is one of my favourite inks.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

#12 PaperQueen

PaperQueen

Hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2015 - 15:43

PaperQueen, it is similar to Poussiere de Lune but far less red. And no, the 14 samples are not a problem - I have about 10 (depending on definition) bottles, mainly 30ml, but they are not little samples and none of them are right. Damson and Grape probably comes closest for me, but they are not right. Everything seems either too red or too blue or, even, too brown. But never just right.

My tribe...I've found my tribe....  :bunny01:

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...???  : : : sigh : : : 

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diamine

Sponsored Content

|